• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Delays DVDs, BEI Delays or Cancels Reissues

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
2DOtaku wrote:
Okay... so where the hell's Dragon Destiny?
Sirabella has posted in the past over at AoD that MB would be getting to it after they released Genshiken. (Because, you know, they just can't focus on that many titles at once.)

Also, hope you weren't interested in an NGP dub like I was with the original English cast because we aren't getting that.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
That's just right Media Blasters, you license absolute crap like Ah My Budda, yet they won't give Genshiken two, a intelligent series, a set date for release?
And Ah My Budda is even their idea of an A level title too. (Another post awhile back at AoD from Sirabella et al said they would only dub the A level stuff.)

I do hope Bandai is going to have enough of the Code Geass LE #3. I heard that it sold out at their level but that seems impossible unless they massively cut the production run.
HQuest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
2DOtaku wrote:
Sirabella has posted in the past over at AoD that MB would be getting to it after they released Genshiken. (Because, you know, they just can't focus on that many titles at once.)

Also, hope you weren't interested in an NGP dub like I was with the original English cast because we aren't getting that.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
That's just right Media Blasters, you license absolute crap like Ah My Budda, yet they won't give Genshiken two, a intelligent series, a set date for release?
And Ah My Budda is even their idea of an A level title too. (Another post awhile back at AoD from Sirabella et al said they would only dub the A level stuff.)

I do hope Bandai is going to have enough of the Code Geass LE #3. I heard that it sold out at their level but that seems impossible unless they massively cut the production run.

It is quite possible the run was cut, since they don't ship product to major big box retailers anymore. Only to internet merchants.

I just want my normal Vol 3. And I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist or any kook like that, but it seems like there are some major issues in terms of production behind the doors at Bandai Ent. If they were a completely independent company, I wonder if they'd be imploding about now.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This thread has been a revelation. The number of people upset at FLAG's cancelation is something I was honestly NOT expecting. It just brings a huge smile to my face, if Bandai wasn't being such a Debbie Downer.

FLAG was criminally slept on by North American fandom. Heck, I expect Justin Sevakis to review it for a preemptive "Buried Treasure" column.

I'm certain what were seeing here is continued fallout from the Best Buy downsizing; in part, anyway. I'm sure a number of factors collided to force BEI and MB to make these decisions. Man. *smh*
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Wow. This thread has been a revelation. The number of people upset at FLAG's cancelation is something I was honestly NOT expecting.

Both Flag and Zegapain were undervalued. Zegapain had such a bland start, that I doubt many stuck around to when it started being good. I can understand the presentation of Flag turning some people off as well.

I have/(or had, if worse comes to worst) both preordered.

Maybe Bandai is shooting for a repress on dual layer discs like Funimation is doing. At least that it what I hope.

I REALLY liked both titles, but only finished up both via rental this year, by then the sets were announced, or inferred given the time since they finished.

Flag deservedly gets more of the underrated props, but Zegapain is right there with it in my view.
ryoga2pchan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Anime cry

I've been waiting forever for the Zegapain boxset to come out, and now it's cancelled!?!?

*waits for there to be another sale, and snatch up the singles at TRSI*

Good luck on that. I'm still waiting on Zegapain singles I ordered from TRSI back in Nov. 2008. They were supposed to be a Christmas present.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Wow. This thread has been a revelation. The number of people upset at FLAG's cancelation is something I was honestly NOT expecting. It just brings a huge smile to my face, if Bandai wasn't being such a Debbie Downer.

Heh, I spotted the grammar issue here, but I still feel that you're laughing at my pain.

Wink
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
2DOtaku wrote:

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
That's just not right Media Blasters, you license absolute crap like Ah My Budda, yet they won't give Genshiken two, a intelligent series, a set date for release?

First off, what the hell is NGP? Genshiken is one of Media Blasters greatest series, I am surprized the Genshiken two was released a year or two ago. It really makes me wonder why considers garbage such as Ah my Budda grade A and spends time releasing volumes instead of releaseing Genshiken two?

Bandai isn't in better shape either though. First Lucky Star volume six boxset cancellation and now this, canceling Zegapain complete series and Flag complete series. If Bandai wasn't about to release Lucky Star OVA sometime this month, I'd say Bandai would be deep trouble. Hopefully the OVA is good, but since Wandee Lee is involved, I at least know the English dub won't be bad.
mrgetalife

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote
Personally i think the delays are just because of the economy in general. If they don't have to release and can wait as long as they can to sell. They don't have to bear the complaints of retailers about not getting sales and have to buy everything back again. This goes towards both B&M and internet stores. And hopefully the license holders work it out and give them some extra time to use the properties. As Bandai is one of those companies where once the License is gone, they make it so its never existed in their catalog.
Labbes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote
I am also disappointed about the cancellation of FLAG. I will just buy the German version instead, then (which is much more expensive, which is why I waited for an AL set).
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Quote:
Genshiken 2 - The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture, Vol #1, Full Circle
From June 30 to a date to be announced

Great, just freaking great. I've waited for almost two years to watch this via dvd and now its TBA. Which probably means I'll never be able to watch the rest of the Genshiken series. I really liked the Genshiken series, I even bought the horriable Kujibiki Unblance tv series just to watch the OVA, which was fantastic.

That's just right Media Blasters, you license absolute crap like Ah My Budda, yet they won't give Genshiken two, a intelligent series, a set date for release? I could give a rat's tail if I have to wait another year, as long as there is a set date for dvd release.
BS'in' good shows is MB's bread and butter. As soon as something shit comes in, they will drop EVERYTHING to do that for no other reason than to cheese off the people who had been keepin' score.
Jinxso

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Like others I was waiting for the complete collection Sad

Just ordered the artbox + v1, 2, 3, 4. They need to stop this single vol release crap and just do box sets damn it.
HQuest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know of a good source for sales numbers?

I'm really curious how well Lucky Star sells compared to Geass and Gurren Lagann.

I know they considered MoHS and Lucky Star to be huge titles, but they have darn near no casual appeal at all when compared to the big action shows. The number of people actually buying LS singles was probably not enough to justify the continued special editions.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
HQuest wrote:
Does anyone know of a good source for sales numbers?

You got a LOT of spare cash going spare?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_VideoScan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
delariean

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote
Official reason and yes we have a blame to blame :lol:

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1564688&postcount=6

Unfortuntely the reason is pretty simple. I am not sure how public the news is but Best Buy decided to change the way they are handling their vendors. They forced us along with several other companies to pick a new VMI partner and in this change over they reviewed all our active skus and cut them down pretty hard. This has forced us to basically re-do our whole schedule for 2009. We will be annoucing litebox as the new word of the day is for titles that were doing real well so we can get them back in (just so before you start asking why are they making another sku on that title again, that is the reason.) And with this change over we will not be able to get in key titles like Genshkin, FOD and such unless we make the street date changes...so basically that is the story.

Also we are preparing for two big annoucements to get out before the end of the year. One is kind of anime but TV product and the other is what we would consider a big anime title...it will be announced in the coming weeks. We already have begun work and should be ready for September first releases.

Hang in there as usual it will be a bumpy ride in 2009...trying to make it to the finish line in one piece.

-js

so...we now play the guessing game as to what the two new licenses they picked up?
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
Goddamnit, I am another who heard great things about Flag, but decided to wait for a boxset to save money. This sucks. I may have to make Flag my last singles series instead of Baccano! now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5