• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment to Discontinue Home Video, Manga, Novel Sales (Updated)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoraChanShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Great all we have to do now is wait for all these shows licenses to expired. I wonder how long that take.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
Time to shop for cheap Bandai Anime well RIP Bandai. And i'm guessing this means no Cowboybebop BDs for the usa? Confused

I sure as hell hope Funimation's smart enough to rescue this title immediately.

Crystal wrote:
I collected a couple of their stuff over the past few years. I feel cheated. This makes me really mad at fans of some of their series. If they were picking up popular series like Cowboy Bebop, Gundam, Gurren Lagann, Haruhi, Lucky Star, Code Geass, K-On!, then what were THEY doing wrong?

Wait, you're mad at the FANS? How about Bandai's horrible pricing and marketing? Frequent disc errors? 100 dollar collections with no dubs? Don't even get me started on how bad they screwed up Gurren Lagann.

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
According to Kyle Hebert, the Vancouver-based voice actors are still making 6 figures a year. Razz

I imagine that's by working on multiple projects, though.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
LuckySeven wrote:
And this is where I just throw down the gauntlet and throw up a middle finger at every so-called "fan" that has never spent a single dime and still has the arrogant nerve to say that they love anime.

I totally agree with you. For me the best way to support the anime industry is to BUY home releases, not just brag about how many series/movies/OVA's anyone has watched through illegitimate means.

The best way to support anime is to import, since the actual creators get the money, not just the middle man. You also have more say in what gets created since they see that money.

If more imports were at least English subbed or I knew Japanese, I would certainly consider importing series very special to me or unavailable in R1.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Bandai only has a few titles I want but don't already own.

K-On! will probably get snatched up quick by Sentai, since they have the 2nd season. I'll wait and see.

Lucky Star is another one that will probably get rescued quickly.

I'd assume that someone would want to license a classic like Escaflowne, but I'm not going to take my chances.

Sola and True Tears are definitely going to be purchased ASAP, because I doubt they're coming back.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
It's spark possibly the first ever Dub vs. Dub debate...*as far as I know anyway*

DBZ and Lupin III fans are all laughing at you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
population_tire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I asked in the last Bandai thread, but no one responded: If Haruhi were to get a 3rd season, would a different company be able to use the same English voice actors? Haruhi has one of the best dubs I've ever heard.
TheGameNinja

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
I asked in the last Bandai thread, but no one responded: If Haruhi were to get a 3rd season, would a different company be able to use the same English voice actors? Haruhi has one of the best dubs I've ever heard.

I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong, haven't seen it yet) K-On!'s second season has the same voice cast and Sentai had that, so it shouldn't be a problem. Funimation's been in the same situation several times and has gotten VAs to reprise their roles. Anime voice acting is almost always done freelance, I don't think there is anything preventing something like that.
population_tire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
TheGameNinja wrote:
population_tire wrote:

I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong, haven't seen it yet) K-On!'s second season has the same voice cast and Sentai had that, so it shouldn't be a problem. Funimation's been in the same situation several times and has gotten VAs to reprise their roles. Anime voice acting is almost always done freelance, I don't think there is anything preventing something like that.
Awesome, thanks.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
There's still quite a few Bandai Box Sets that I need to get Sad R.I.P Bandai.
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Here's to hoping someone re-releases the Ronin Warriors Complete Collection down the road. I've been dying to purchase the Bandai release but prices are INSANELY high for it. On Amazon, used copies are going for $338 and new copies are going for $698!!! Neutral

Wouldn't be surprised if Funimation snagged a couple of the more popular Bandai titles in typical Funimation fashion. Here's lookin at you Cowboy Bebop.

Word to the wise: Stock up on Bandai titles while you can NOW before prices jump through the roof.

Last edited by jeromeskee on Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
edit

Last edited by jeromeskee on Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote

Hitler is informed that Bandai and Media Blasters are shutting down their Anime releases

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvDsz0rPgdw

"as a great man once said...bang."
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

Hitler is informed that Bandai and Media Blasters are shutting down their Anime releases

Media Blasters is still alive with their titles still in print and has recently licensed a few titles

Last edited by configspace on Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
According to Kyle Hebert, the Vancouver-based voice actors are still making 6 figures a year. Razz

I imagine that's by working on multiple projects, though.

Well it's that and the fact most, if not all, of the Vancouver based Canadian work in Pre-Lay as well and Pre-Lay pays better. Pre-Lay, for those who might not be familiar with what I'm talking about, is the term the VA's use for recording shows soundtracks first, before the animation is finished. The actors also tend to do Pre-Lay together in groups, which is is how the Japanese voice actors/seiyuu do their voice tracks for shows (but the Japanese seiyuu do ADR when they dub American or Canadian animation, or live action works, for that matter, into Japanese). Basically, it's close to being the exact opposite way things are done from recording Anime into English (which is called ADR, FWIW). If a show is made in the U.S. or Canada in English, they usually record it Pre-Lay, where ADR is used to dub voices into works where the original language wasn't English.

Ok, this is just hard to explain. Maybe another way to think about this is like this. A good chunk of the cast of Black Lagoon & and the Gundam's that were recorded in Canada are regulars, or recurring voice cast, on My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and other hot animated kids show that are currently running on the top Kids oriented cable networks (I'm not sure what shows actually air where, but a good chunk of the Hub's stuff is voiced by Canadians). So the Canadian VA's are still working regularly and getting paid better than anyone else in North America for it (their Union (ACTRA) seems to be stronger than the U.S. one (SAG) and has negotiated them better wages than SAG has managed for their members, from what I gather) and I'm not sure anyone needs to worry about them, in general (though a few VA's do seem to be AWOL at the moment but that is usually by their own choices (i.e. they found other things they wanted to do instead of acting)). While those of us who like their work may miss hearing them in Anime most of the actors seem to be doing well for themselves.

Anyway, I'm pretty broke these days and I don't think I can buy any more Bandai before it closes (though I have most of what I wanted, I had wish to pick up that Gundam '79 release (and I think I'm missing the last Unicorn entry, as well) before it went OOP) Sad .

PS: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - a good show for playing "Spot the voice actor from Anime's" game Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9