• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Penguindrum, Ninja Scroll Film, Letter Bee

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
kadokawa is just not a friendly company anymore - you shouldn't read into it much
they just try to maximize profits at customers expense

nichijou failed because the storyline had no focus
even if the DVD prices were overpriced - the viewer rating were equally matched as disappointing

no one bought it because no one wanted it and it had a large episode run meaning it would be more expensive than a typical 12 episode series
mudduck454

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I guess I will be happy for those who want these shows......

I for one, still have a little bit of hope that gosic will be licensed AGAIN, and we get a blu-ray release of it.

that show was so good, and as it got to the end, it became a roller-coaster of emotions, especially when victoriquespoiler[started to cry for the very first time in her life,]not sure if I know any English voice actresses, who could pull that scene off.

Gosic is number 2 in my must have list.

I think I am going to watch it again, quick.... to crunchyroll......

Last edited by mudduck454 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
You're whining about AoA"s completely reasonable prices shows how clueless you actually are about the larger scheme of things.

No, you're showing your own complete cluelessness here about how most anime fans perceive the market outside of Japan. AoA's prices are out of whack with the long-established standard for N. America by a wide margin. And I'm not referring to the people who have insisted that all anime series should be priced under $30 from the get-go, either, but the people who were used to buying anime as single volumes of 3-6 episodes each back before one-cour sets became the norm. (Actually, the price of a dubbed set of 12-14 episodes on DVD costing an MSRP of around $60 these days is not much cheaper on a per-episode cost than a 5-episode single being priced around $30 back in the day, so the pricing structure for first-time releases hasn't actually changed that much.) The prices that AoA is trying to push are collector-level prices, not general-sales-level prices, and those are only "reasonable" if you're looking at anime as a collector's item. That's not the Western mentality about it, which has instead always emphasized access over collectability.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
That's not the Western mentality about it, which has instead always emphasized access over collectability.

And I think that that mentality is long-term detrimental to the market.

If you just want to watch shows, it has never been easier to do so, legitimately. You can watch something like 80% of the currently airing shows via some sort of legit stream.

There is no reason to buy the discs for every single show you want to watch.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
The Collector mentality is probably how it'll be in the future though. Before, it was the only legal way many series were able to be watched. But now we have all the streaming everywhere, so people don't have to buy a series just to be able to watch it. This is closer to the Japanese market where many people watch TV series, but only the hardcore collectors buy it. Less and less anime is being bought now due to the ease of watching it, so many companies are now suffering from less sales, so they'll need to get money in other ways than the cheap boxsets.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Key wrote:
That's not the Western mentality about it, which has instead always emphasized access over collectability.

If you just want to watch shows, it has never been easier to do so, legitimately. You can watch something like 80% of the currently airing shows via some sort of legit stream.

I'd be inclined to agree.

Until anime becomes mainstream (Considering it's not even mainstream in Japan, the chances of that happening are next to zero), or people get used to paying more (Basically accepting Aniplex's pricing on items that are not direct imports (Remember people, only Fate/Zero and GOS were priced that high with Aniplex. If the show is not getting a BD box in Japan, the chances of a direct import is basically zero as would they really do direct imports of SAO singles for example if those had English subs?)), catering to collectors is the better tactic. The mentality of getting everything for cheap isn't going to work out in the long-run.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I had ignored Letter Bee in my enthusiasm for Mawaru Penguindrum, but it seems like it could be worth seeing. The premise is a bit eccentric, but if I'm eager to see Mawaru Penguindrum, I can't object to that; quite the contrary, really. If nothing else, I'm curious to see how something like that would pay out.

It's a little funny to see straightforward ol' Ninja Scroll sandwiched between relatively weird Mawaru Penguindrum and Letter Bee. One of these things is not like the other... (And also the one I'm least interested in)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
net commercials still dont bring in the revenue cable TV receives yet
I hope the future is not online streaming bundling where I have to pay for genres I dont want to watch
E-Master

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote
A Blu-ray on Ninja Scroll is a must have right there. Thank you Sentai Filmworks for giving the cult anime film a high def treatment.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:
A Blu-ray on Ninja Scroll is a must have right there. Thank you Sentai Filmworks for giving the cult anime film a high def treatment.

I hope Discotek can fully make that jump. If they were able to get their hands on some negatives, it would be a great boon for fans of older things. But I can't see that happening unless they hit pay dirt somewhere.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:32 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

You could easily buy a BD drive and install it in your comp assuming your case has space (and your motherboard has a free port), but that takes some slight computer know-how.

If someone doesn't know if the optical drive on their computer has Blu-ray capability, they probably aren't up to changing out the drive.

It is a bit like expecting someone that doesn't know if their car has a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engine to know how to change the oil.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:43 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

You could easily buy a BD drive and install it in your comp assuming your case has space (and your motherboard has a free port), but that takes some slight computer know-how.

If someone doesn't know if the optical drive on their computer has Blu-ray capability, they probably aren't up to changing out the drive.

It is a bit like expecting someone that doesn't know if their car has a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engine to know how to change the oil.
Definitely true. Then once you install the BD drive, you have to worry about software to play back the ridiculously DRM'd BDs. My BD drive came with PowerDVD9, which worked well enough, except that it would not play most blurays put out by Sentai Filmworks in 2012. I had to upgrade to 12 to get that functionality. It was ridiculous.

I'm not surprised that DVD is still king, BD is a PITA (even with the PS3 it can be tedium IMO), but when I see the higher quality image all my frustration with the DRM and lack of a ubiquity of BD players melts away Wink

I missed Penguindrum when it aired, but I'm willing to check it out with the Sentai dub. It's funny, I consider myself to be a die-hard Sentai fan, but out of all their dubbed releases that I've seen, I haven't found these dubs that are, apparently, abhorrent to a level that someone would mail them back to Sentai. Even if that's just hyperbole, I must have really missed a release because I thought Sentai's dubs have been pretty darn good. The shows that they've been dubbing, well, those haven't been the best...
PBsallad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Then once you install the BD drive, you have to worry about software to play back the ridiculously DRM'd BDs. My BD drive came with PowerDVD9, which worked well enough, except that it would not play most blurays put out by Sentai Filmworks in 2012. I had to upgrade to 12 to get that functionality. It was ridiculous.

I had the same problem, when HoTD came in I was really excited. But once I couldn't play it I got upset. Sad

I could play stuff put out by FUNi and stuff I rented through Redbox and Netflix, back when I got discs from them.

Ended up just pirating PowerDVD in frustration. =/
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

I am ambivalent on this, but as someone who owns well over 1k DVDs/BRs covering more than 420 different titles, I fear that you may be right. Short of the market collapsing, shifting to a collector-only model is the worst fate I can imagine for it.

Quote:

Entirely a matter of viewpoint. Although watching anime on streaming video may not bother you at all, I always prefer watching something on DVD/Blu-Ray on a full-sized HD-quality screen whenever possible, as I like the bigger picture, higher screen quality, and not having to worry about things like commercials, connection lags/drops, stuttering, and low-quality streams. DVDs/BRs are also handy in cases where watching streams are impractical or impossible (my place of work either blocks or won't handle most of the big streaming sites, for instance - including, unfortunately as of the beginning of the school year, ANN), can be lent out to friends who aren't vested enough in anime to have subscriptions to the various streaming sites, and sometimes have neat Extras.

Granted, my view on some of this may change once I upgrade to a more up-to-date computer and achieve the capability of viewing streams on my TV, but let's not be too quick to write off DVDs/BRs as a mainstream (for the hobby) way to disseminate content.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Entirely a matter of viewpoint. Although watching anime on streaming video may not bother you at all, I always prefer watching something on DVD/Blu-Ray on a full-sized HD-quality screen whenever possible, as I like the bigger picture, higher screen quality, and not having to worry about things like commercials, connection lags/drops, stuttering, and low-quality streams. DVDs/BRs are also handy in cases where watching streams are impractical or impossible (my place of work either blocks or won't handle most of the big streaming sites, for instance - including, unfortunately as of the beginning of the school year, ANN), can be lent out to friends who aren't vested enough in anime to have subscriptions to the various streaming sites, and sometimes have neat Extras.

Its pretty easy to connect your PC or laptop to your TV (I've had mine set up for years that way), so I watch everything on my TV anyway... so that kinda lessens the impact of watching it on a big TV. Theres also the fact that there are other ways to get these shows that are just as good of quality as the BD (and often times better if the domestic release is DVD only) that will also cause many people less motivation to go out and buy these releases.

I'm sure theres still a market for it, but its dwindling for sure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12