• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: Gundam Unicorn Planned for Simultaneous World Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reefsurfer156

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
it looks like an EVA unit.

Agreed.

So let me get this, they're planning on releasing a totally unrelated new Gundam series to 00, which they just finished ? Doesn't make much sense to me. Let's just hope they stay in one time line, and they don't skip and do random eras all the time.

Frankly speaking, not looking forward to it.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I only hope when they say worldwide they mean worldwide. I don't want to suffer lock out because I live in the UK and not Stateside. I also agree that I hope it's available as a download or at least as a high-res stream, but I'd rather have a download even if I can't permanently archive it permanently... something like BBCiplayer.

Last edited by GracieLizzy on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it looks like Sunrise is on the road to redemption. Not that I disliked Gundam 00, but it could have been better, and (perhaps foolishly) I have my faith in this new Universal Century title. A worldwide release is a very good idea and has me all the more excited about it. My only concern lies with what sort of format it will be in. I'd hate for it to get short-changed like Gundam F91.

spoiler[Animated Purustitute!]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
I only hope when they say worldwide they mean worldwide.

That's my concern as well. I suppose we can only guess at the moment. The current article doesn't explicitly state that they'll be considering a streaming option as part of their format, although I think we can assume at least some countries will receive this show in such a form.
As I understand it, the Bandai system itself puts a lot of constraint on what a subsidiary can and cannot do; the current trend there is for a given Bandai company to stay within their geographical boundaries to prevent interfering with others. Considering this is being proposed by the animation studio itself though, a wholly new method may be trialled.

(On an unrelated note, I'm not very knowledgeable on Arthur C. Clarke -my Collage department's most famous alumnus- but your avatar both enthrals and disturbs me.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I've not gotten around to reading Childhood's End myself, my Dad has, but it had a big influence on End of Eva. In short spoiler[outside forces make humanity evolve into a homogenous gestalt hive mind, though in Childhood's End it was into energy beings and only the children, after all the adults died I think].
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
I've not gotten around to reading Childhood's End myself, my Dad has, but it had a big influence on End of Eva. In short spoiler[outside forces make humanity evolve into a homogenous gestalt hive mind, though in Childhood's End it was into energy beings and only the children, after all the adults died I think].

It's more like Tomino's Space Runaway Ideon was influenced by the book and Anno's Neon Genesis Evangelion was influenced by it through Ideon.

(Though to be honest, I felt Evangelion was infinitely more watchable.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FullmetalCJ
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I kind of hate to say it, but seriously... what kind of a name is Gundam Unicorn? UNICORN?

For years Bandai and Sunrise have toiled on how to make Gundam a hit in the West -- they've said as much a few times. But then you go and name a new series Unicorn? Really? REALLY JAPAN? Smile I can't possibly be the only one that thinks they've *already* dug their own grave in terms of North American sales/viewers/whathaveyou with that name.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Who cares what it's called? If it's good, they can title it "Gundam Anal Warts", for all I care.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Only Gundam Wing was a success in America, primarily I'd surmise because it ran at like 4:30 PM when all us Middle schoolers got home and flipped on our TVs. You can't be widespread viewership like that. Playing something at Sunday morning 1:30 AM or Monday Night at 11:30 PM just cannot compare in any way.

The other factor is that Gundam is still made for the otaku and fujoshi first. Mecha and over arching storyline for the guys, bishounen and their inane trifles with one another as well as their deep, dark, brooding, and mysterious past that's never really had any explaination. Rooting this in the Universal Century aims it more at the pure male otaku again, as it's the most widely explored and fanboy'd over. If you're a Gundam fan, UC is your biggest thing, and rightly so. We don't care what it's named, we already know the story since the books have been around, so we've accepted it. Stuff like MS IGLOO also isn't for anyone but the hardcore Gundam fans, no one bitches that an igloo is a ice shelter that inuits use to keep warm, and that just totally disconnects with North American viewership.
kkofthefunkoff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Zetabag wrote:
@kkofthefunkoff

Based on what I have heard, Bandai said it wasn't going to release any new Gundam series this year, so its more likely to be either a movie or OVA.

ah i see thanks.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Who cares what it's called? If it's good, they can title it "Gundam Anal Warts", for all I care.

Whether it be right or not, I think many people will never give it a chance with that name.
Mikuru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:07 pm Reply with quote
What are the full ten languages?
Dimlos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Good god that is some ugly hair but seriously its good to see Sunrise start trying to beat fansubs by releasing them in a wide varierty of languages.
I don't really think they'll be beating fansubs with this. If they don't release it subtitled, people will complain about it being dub-only and if they do sub it, there will still be subs for it, which people with no knowledge of the Japanese language with herald as superior, even if they end up being four hour speedsubs.

reefsurfer156 wrote:
So let me get this, they're planning on releasing a totally unrelated new Gundam series to 00, which they just finished ? Doesn't make much sense to me. Let's just hope they stay in one time line, and they don't skip and do random eras all the time.
They've been jumping timelines since the 90s, so I don't see why they'd do any differently now. And, honestly, I'd prefer if they never touch upon 00 again, since it was pretty bad. Not nearly as bad as SEED, but bad enough.
FullmetalCJ
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The other factor is that Gundam is still made for the otaku and fujoshi first. Mecha and over arching storyline for the guys, bishounen and their inane trifles with one another as well as their deep, dark, brooding, and mysterious past that's never really had any explaination. Rooting this in the Universal Century aims it more at the pure male otaku again, as it's the most widely explored and fanboy'd over. If you're a Gundam fan, UC is your biggest thing, and rightly so. We don't care what it's named, we already know the story since the books have been around, so we've accepted it. Stuff like MS IGLOO also isn't for anyone but the hardcore Gundam fans, no one bitches that an igloo is a ice shelter that inuits use to keep warm, and that just totally disconnects with North American viewership.

IGLOO or Wing are about 1000% better than "Unicorn." Smile

Do they not have a native English speaker on staff to say "oh, that might be a bad idea" when something like naming it Unicorn comes up? To me it's indicative of the problem that the industry has no idea how to appeal to anyone outside Japan. And have no problem continuing to make strides backwards or to a much smaller niche, otaku audience.

There are a couple examples where it's turning around like the few-day lag between releasing of FMA Brotherhood in Japan and the US or VIZ doing Rin-ne simultaneously. Those are amazingly awesome steps, and so is a simultaneous worldwide release of a new Gundam series. That's huge, and I wish this would've happened 5 years ago. But no matter what (and as sad as it is), if you call a giant robot show Unicorn in the US...who's gonna watch it? (Besides Gundam fans who would watch no matter what you call it.) IMO, they're wasting the opportunity here. You may as well call it Mobile Suit Pretty Pretty Princess.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
This has me angry now. It's popular enough in Japan with the "Unicorn" name. They weren't figuring for an anime with international release. Sorry if it doesn't suit American sensibilities. The story is, as far as I've read, fairly unrelated, aside from the horn of the titular mobile suit.

Shut up about the f***ing name, already. They're not just going to rename it because you don't like it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3