• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nintendo Wii U's Global Launch, Game Lineup Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
population_tire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I think the fact Nintendo has such strong 3rd party support that isn't completely casual is proof enough that Wii U won't be another Wii.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
I think the fact Nintendo has such strong 3rd party support that isn't completely casual is proof enough that Wii U won't be another Wii.

Do they? They have decent 3rd party port support. I don't see that many companies developing new content though. That being the case, I find it very tough to believe this will last. I mean, we don't know the details yet but it's tough to believe that the Wii U isn't going to be a step behind the PS4/Xbox720 in a year or so. At that point you're pretty much back to where the Wii is relative to the PS3/360.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
it seems like half the launch games are titles already out on other consoles...?

the video game industry is over-saturated. I have no interest in what nintendo does anymore. I have not taken my wii out of the closet in years.
anime racket

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I'm pretty happy with bayonetta 2 being a wii u
exclusive and I hope kingdom hearts 3 is an exclusive as well.
My reason being is it would show that nintendo intends to
dominate the games industry by securing one third party exclusive
at a time.

If they do that wii u will be as awesome as the super nintendo.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
anime racket wrote:
To be honest, I'm pretty happy with bayonetta 2 being a wii u
exclusive and I hope kingdom hearts 3 is an exclusive as well.
My reason being is it would show that nintendo intends to
dominate the games industry by securing one third party exclusive
at a time.

If they do that wii u will be as awesome as the super nintendo.

I do question Bayonetta 2's exclusivity. The last time Nintendo wanted to make 3rd party title exclusive to their console didn't really last long, case in example: Goldeneye on Wii. Activision said in an interview that Goldeneye was to stay on the Wii and had no plan to bring it to other console like PS3/360. Yet a year later in 2011 Goldeneye got "Reloaded' in HD.

The same goes for other third party "exclusives" like for example Ninja Gaiden 2 for the 360 was published by MS, and yet a year after the 360 release it came to the PS3 as Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2. I also like to add that the Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge a Wii U port of Ninja Gaiden 3 will be published by Nintendo, not Tecmo Koei despite the PS3 and 360 came out first. That's why I question Bayonetta 2's Wii U exclusivity, I like to wait and see next year if SEGA and Platinum Game announce a 360/PS3 port. Just because Nintendo publish Bayonetta 2 doesn't mean it'll nevr get ported to other console.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
snip

Nintendo is the one footing the bill; if they hadn't stepped in Bayonetta 2 would have been DEAD. It's a bit different from the Goldeneye and NG2 examples. And since Nintendo is the one publishing it good LUCK getting those rights out of their hands.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
snip

Nintendo is the one footing the bill; if they hadn't stepped in Bayonetta 2 would have been DEAD. It's a bit different from the Goldeneye and NG2 examples. And since Nintendo is the one publishing it good LUCK getting those rights out of their hands.

Yeah and my last post mention Ninja Gaiden 3 Wii U will be published by Nintendo not Tecmo despite the PS3 and Xbox 360 version came out first, again, I question Bayonetta 2's Wii U exclusitivity because we know the first one came out on PS3/360 and the releasing the 2nd one on Wii U would be awkward. I talk to Gamestop employees today and I ask about Bayonetta 2's Wii U exclusitivity and they shared the same thought as I did, they said Bayonetta 2 on Wii U is time exclusive. One of them tell me this:

"The last time I check, Platinum Game wasn't bought by Nintendo. Unless Nintendo acquire Platinum Game as a first party studio, Bayonetta 2 on Wii U is time exclusive"

I believe he's correct because remember the ex-Nintendo game, Banjo Kazooie, it was owned by Rare and released on Nintendo, after MS bought out Rare Nintendo never saw another Banjo Kazooie game on their console again. Banjo Kazzoie: Nuts and Bolts was released on 360 exclusively, no port for Nintendo console. The last time I check, Bayonetta IP is owned by Platinum or SEGA so they called the shot on what console Bayonetta 2 should be on, I believe the Wii U is time exclusive, I expect next year an announcement from SEGA and Platinum on Bayonetta 2 port to 360/PS3. Also I like to add that there's been talk from Epic Game about bringing Gears of War to PS3, despite being published by MS, they don't owned it, Epic does.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:17 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Yeah and my last post mention Ninja Gaiden 3 Wii U will be published by Nintendo not Tecmo despite the PS3 and Xbox 360 version came out first, again, I question Bayonetta 2's Wii U exclusitivity because we know the first one came out on PS3/360 and the releasing the 2nd one on Wii U would be awkward. I talk to Gamestop employees today and I ask about Bayonetta 2's Wii U exclusitivity and they shared the same thought as I did, they said Bayonetta 2 on Wii U is time exclusive. One of them tell me this:

"The last time I check, Platinum Game wasn't bought by Nintendo. Unless Nintendo acquire Platinum Game as a first party studio, Bayonetta 2 on Wii U is time exclusive"

I believe he's correct because remember the ex-Nintendo game, Banjo Kazooie, it was owned by Rare and released on Nintendo, after MS bought out Rare Nintendo never saw another Banjo Kazooie game on their console again. Banjo Kazzoie: Nuts and Bolts was released on 360 exclusively, no port for Nintendo console. The last time I check, Bayonetta IP is owned by Platinum or SEGA so they called the shot on what console Bayonetta 2 should be on, I believe the Wii U is time exclusive, I expect next year an announcement from SEGA and Platinum on Bayonetta 2 port to 360/PS3. Also I like to add that there's been talk from Epic Game about bringing Gears of War to PS3, despite being published by MS, they don't owned it, Epic does.

Again, good luck yanking those rights out of their hands. And did you SERIOUSLY just try and cite game store employees as a source? For all your huffing and puffing, you are blatantly ignoring the facts: SEGA killed the project, PG shopped it around, nobody wanted it, and Nintendo swooped in and offered to not only publish it but also FUND IT. That's Nintendo money going towards development and they're not going to let that slide. It's why I doubt you'll also see NG3: Razor's Edge on other systems; the second Nintendo puts their own money into a game they're not gonna let it go. Get over it, this is the reality of the situation
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:23 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Quote:
Also I like to add that there's been talk from Epic Game about bringing Gears of War to PS3, despite being published by MS, they don't owned it, Epic does.
Again, good luck yanking those rights out of their hands.

You keep saying that but it doesn't really mean anything in this context. Microsoft is just the publisher. The actual rights to the Gears of War games belong to Epic. Hence, they don't have to "yank the rights out of [Microsoft's] hands". At whatever point their exclusivity agreement expires for Gears of War, Epic, as the actual rights owner, has the right to simply not extend that agreement. It's up to them as the IP's owner. Microsoft can certainly try and convince them to do so (and may well succeed) but at the end of the day, Epic can, if they so desire, simply say "no thanks" and Microsoft has just got to accept that.

Same goes for Nintendo. The only real sure fire way to guarantee a game stays exclusive forever is to actually own the IP. Obviously this is the case for most of the exclusives Nintendo publishes but in regards to Bayonetta 2, that's the question: Who exactly owns the rights to it? The rights to the larger Bayonetta IP seem to still belong to PG. Of course, it's possible that if Nintendo is footing the bill for development they at least get some partial ownership of the specific Bayonetta 2 IP. Or perhaps not. I really have no idea. Neither of us can speak with anything approaching certainty here.

Look, I'll agree that what you're saying has some merit. If Nintendo put up the cash, we can't just assume this will be ported eventually like you can pretty much do with any other "exclusive" 3rd party game. That said, we can hardly assume it will remain exclusive either. It all depends on what exactly the details are of Nintendo and PG's deal which we're simply not privy to.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
Quote:
Also I like to add that there's been talk from Epic Game about bringing Gears of War to PS3, despite being published by MS, they don't owned it, Epic does.
Again, good luck yanking those rights out of their hands.

You keep saying that but it doesn't really mean anything in this context. Microsoft is just the publisher. The actual rights to the Gears of War games belong to Epic. Hence, they don't have to "yank the rights out of [Microsoft's] hands". At whatever point their exclusivity agreement expires for Gears of War, Epic, as the actual rights owner, has the right to simply not extend that agreement. It's up to them as the IP's owner. Microsoft can certainly try and convince them to do so (and may well succeed) but at the end of the day, Epic can, if they so desire, simply say "no thanks" and Microsoft has just got to accept that.

Same goes for Nintendo. The only real sure fire way to guarantee a game stays exclusive forever is to actually own the IP. Obviously this is the case for most of the exclusives Nintendo publishes but in regards to Bayonetta 2, that's the question: Who exactly owns the rights to it? The rights to the larger Bayonetta IP seem to still belong to PG. Of course, it's possible that if Nintendo is footing the bill for development they at least get some partial ownership of the specific Bayonetta 2 IP. Or perhaps not. I really have no idea. Neither of us can speak with anything approaching certainty here.

Look, I'll agree that what you're saying has some merit. If Nintendo put up the cash, we can't just assume this will be ported eventually like you can pretty much do with any other "exclusive" 3rd party game. That said, we can hardly assume it will remain exclusive either. It all depends on what exactly the details are of Nintendo and PG's deal which we're simply not privy to.

Ikillchicken is correct. Did you even read the article I posted on my last post AiddonValentine?? Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge is a port of the 360 and PS3 version and yet the Wii U version is published by Nintendo. Oh and I forgot to mention that Goldeneye on Wii was a collaboration between Nintendo and Activision because the N64 classic couldn't get on virtual Console. Hence why Activision had to remake Goldeneye for the Wii and before the HD port was announced Activision said Goldeneye on Wii was supposed to be exclusive for that console and yet Goldeneye ended up getting "Reloaded" in HD for PS3/360. So when I read Bayonetta 2 exclusive on Wii U and Platinum Game reason for that exclusive, it sounded just like what Activision said about Goldeneye Wii exclusive. So face it, next year Bayonetta 2 may end up getting a 360/PS3 port. Bayonetta 2 on Wii U is time exclusive, not permanent. In order for Bayonetta 2 to stay on Wii U, Nintendo would have to buyout Platinum Game. MS buying out Rare was the reason no future Banjo Kazooie game will never appear on future Nintendo console.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3