• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters' Shamanic Princess Release Listed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:28 am Reply with quote
This will be a buy for me. I watched the dub vhs from Blockbuster a ton when I was about 13. The talking ferret was the best thing about it.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote
What's the point of calling it a "complete collection" when it's only 6 episodes? Especially since there's no way they'll have the episodes in the proper order on the disc.

Vata Raven wrote:
I'm hoping that they'll recuse Story of Saiunkoku, it's like Fushigi Yugi but with better character designs and much better voice acting. I wouldn't hold my breath for the dub of 2nd season, but I could hope.

How is Saiunkoku Monogatari anything like Fushigi Yuugi? One is about a young woman in close-to-real-world ancient China who wants to become an official, when women aren't allowed, and the other is about a modern girl sent through a book to a fantasy of ancient China.

If you're going to say something's "like Fushigi Yuugi but better", Harukanaru Toki no Naka de is much closer (and much better).
khaos1019

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
What's the point of calling it a "complete collection" when it's only 6 episodes? Especially since there's no way they'll have the episodes in the proper order on the disc.

Because that's the entire series, so it's technically a complete collection. There's nothing else to collect. Also, that was the order they were released in Japan. I don't know the whole story behind the production, but the director changed in the last 2 episodes. I'd like to know if that has something to do with the strange chronology.

My best guess is that it was planned as 4, but was popular enough to produce more episode explaining the backstory.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
Now that's an oldie but a goodie. I still remember my copy. That was a CPM title at one point right?

I'm a little worried about MB they've been really quiet. I can't remember when the last time they released something decent. Well, there is Queen's Blade (shudder).
Reibooi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I have to think it won't come out on this date considering everything else they list gets delayed by a large amount at some point. The Kite Blu-ray for example.

Also. Where the hell is Squid Girl season 2? They said on Facebook they planned on doing it but there hasn't even been a licensing announcement regarding the 2nd season. It seems they got my hopes up; ;
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
khaos1019 wrote:
Dessa wrote:

Because that's the entire series, so it's technically a complete collection. There's nothing else to collect. Also, that was the order they were released in Japan. I don't know the whole story behind the production, but the director changed in the last 2 episodes. I'd like to know if that has something to do with the strange chronology.

My best guess is that it was planned as 4, but was popular enough to produce more episode explaining the backstory.

I'm pretty sure it was planned as six volumes. Shamanic Princess and Magic Users Club were released at the same time, and if you collected all six volumes of both series you could send in for a free gift, a VHS copy of "Shamanic Princess Vs. Magic Users Club" (a short spoof OVA). In other words, it was clear from the first volume how many volumes there would be. As I recall, Shamanic Princess and Magic Users Club were the result of a challenge to create an original work, the only requirement being that the main character had to be a girl with red hair who uses magic.

I think Shamanic Princess was meant to be watched in the order it was released. True, the last two episodes take place chronologically before the first four, but they pack more of a punch when you already know the events of 1-4.
khaos1019

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
ZenAmako wrote:
khaos1019 wrote:
Dessa wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was planned as six volumes. Shamanic Princess and Magic Users Club were released at the same time, and if you collected all six volumes of both series you could send in for a free gift, a VHS copy of "Shamanic Princess Vs. Magic Users Club" (a short spoof OVA). In other words, it was clear from the first volume how many volumes there would be. As I recall, Shamanic Princess and Magic Users Club were the result of a challenge to create an original work, the only requirement being that the main character had to be a girl with red hair who uses magic.

I think Shamanic Princess was meant to be watched in the order it was released. True, the last two episodes take place chronologically before the first four, but they pack more of a punch when you already know the events of 1-4.

Oh, awesome. Thanks for the info ZenAmako. I've always wanted to know more about the release history for Shamanic Princess but could never find anything solid.
victor viper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I guess this re-release makes sense for MB since it's a one-disc release and the license surely cost next to nothing. Maybe if this makes them a few bucks they'll rescue some other titles from CPM's catalog. I wouldn't mind seeing a remastered Alien Nine or maybe a re-release of Dominion Tank Police.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
Shamanic Princess is a title I bought on a whim and now is one of my favorite OVAs. Really great music along with everything mentioned above. I won't mind double dipping if this release improves over the copy I own.

Jubei-chan was great as well, though I liked the first series more than the 2nd. I haven't watched it recently, but I do remember finding it very funny with great actions scenes that would've been even better if they were given more screen time, though maybe then they wouldn't be as special... The music for this show was great too, I still listen to the opening every so often.

Definitely recommend people pick up both of these!
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Having the original Shamanic Princess I won't be double dipping. What I'd really like to see Media Blasters resurrect is the Birdy the Mighty OVA's., pretty please....
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:
Having the original Shamanic Princess I won't be double dipping. What I'd really like to see Media Blasters resurrect is the Birdy the Mighty OVA's., pretty please....

That seems more something Discotek would pick up.
DTJB

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
Actually put this on my rental list a while ago. The fact that it won't be so rare now means I'll get a better chance of watching it at a quicker rate. Saw bits of it a while back so I'm looking forward to seeing the whole thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2