• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires Spice and Wolf Fantasy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Wait there is ecchi in K-On, I have seen more ecchi in Saki then K-On, and thats about Mahjong.

There's a fair bit of good ol' "panchira" (panty shots) in the manga, but the corresponding shots in the anime are tamer and mostly cropped.

The past two episodes have had cosplay scenes, though. Some people find that "fetish-y", though I don't know if you can say "ecchi".

My friend said that the anime had much less fanservice and this show wasn't completely about moe. He was the one introduced me to Lucky Star and more or less One Piece, so I do trust his word. Based off what said, pretty much comfirms this.

But I sure as hell won't be reading the manga though. I'll give the anime a shot.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Wohoo, now maybe my Horo cosplay will get more notice. But aw, it sounds like they won't be releasing it until 2010, grrr, that's so far off...

Gives you more time to perfect your cosplay even further before floods of others do it. I saw like one Lelouch last year a con and nearly 15 this year.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
On another note Horo, or as the official english pronounciation Holo, she spends a considerble amount of time in the nude especialy earlier on. I wonder how this effect the rating and some perception from those outside the comunity, well atleast it was not done in an explicit way in everything censored. It can be fun in some anime to watch both voices, as long as it doesn't change the characters too much like in FMP.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:30 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
You need to watch more anime with subtitles.Eventually you won't even notice the four to six words posted quickly on the screen.You can't tell me from those lengthy posts of yours,that can't keep up with a quick splash of text.BS.

Lets put it this way, I'll watch subtitles if it truly would look bad for it to be done in another langauge, say like live-action movies. Animation doesn't have that restraint as it is always dubbed and can easily be changed (or at least easier than live-action will ever be.)

But the poiint still stands, my eyes will go to were the subs are, thus missing the work that I'm supposed to be seeing. That is true for even the fastest of sub readers.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
On another note Horo, or as the official english pronounciation Holo, she spends a considerble amount of time in the nude especialy earlier on. I wonder how this effect the rating and some perception from those outside the comunity, well atleast it was not done in an explicit way in everything censored. It can be fun in some anime to watch both voices, as long as it doesn't change the characters too much like in FMP.

Outside? Some people inside had issues with the nudity (frontal and rear) also. It's not done to titillate the viewer. It's like meeting a nudist on a beach who is used to being on a nude beach. Only this nudist took the form of a 15 yo girl with wolf ears and tail.

I'm betting it gets a TV MA rating.
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
You need to watch more anime with subtitles.Eventually you won't even notice the four to six words posted quickly on the screen.You can't tell me from those lengthy posts of yours,that can't keep up with a quick splash of text.

You're wrong. I watch subs all the time (and have for years) and still clearly notice - and am occasionally distracted by - subtitles on screen.

Anyway, I'm not going to say more on that because I don't want to see this turning into further sub/dub debate - which this thread is getting dangerously close to doing. It's already been well-established that people do not all handle subtitles the same way, so just leave it at that.

hikaru004 wrote:

It won't - or if it does, I'll be very surprised. Even titles with a fair amount of defined frontal nudity don't usually get a TV-MA rating unless there are other mitigating factors, and this one not only used undefined nudity (unless the DVD version has been spruced up, which is becoming increasingly common in Japanese releases) but has no other content which would earn it more than a 13+ rating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Nice even though I hate Viz for rasing their prices, this news made my day
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote
magicalgirlj wrote:

Ever hear of inflation kid?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

It won't - or if it does, I'll be very surprised. Even titles with a fair amount of defined frontal nudity don't usually get a TV-MA rating unless there are other mitigating factors, and this one not only used undefined nudity (unless the DVD version has been spruced up, which is becoming increasingly common in Japanese releases) but has no other content which would earn it more than a 13+ rating.

And what anime title has female frontal nudity in the US and got only a 13+ rating recently? (Don't even think of citing a Disney title here. This ain't Ghibli.)
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Key wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

And what anime title has female frontal nudity in the US and got only a 13+ rating recently? (Don't even think of citing a Disney title here. This ain't Ghibli.)

Eureka Seven, Rumbling Hearts there are a few more that I can't think of now. Funimation is very inconsistent with it's ratings many times.
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Midori Days, for one. I'm sure I could come up with others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
magicalgirlj wrote:

Ever hear of inflation kid?

Well, there's always inflation, but in the case of Viz, it's a bit different. They recently made a deal with Warner to distribute all of their DVDs. Warner does things differently than Viz has been and higher prices are part of that. The folks at the anime corner store have talked about it in their newsletters and such and it's definitely affected how pricing and availability of Viz titles is going to work (they also think that it was a poor move on Viz's part to make the deal with Warner, but I suppose that only time will tell).
braves

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Well, there's always inflation, but in the case of Viz, it's a bit different. They recently made a deal with Warner to distribute all of their DVDs. Warner does things differently than Viz has been and higher prices are part of that.

But the deal has already gone into effect for a while now and the prices for Viz DVDs have stayed the same; and judging from solicitations up until August, will stay that way.

But magicalgirlj was talking about Viz raising prices for certain labels of their manga, which Warner Bros. doesn't distribute. Not their DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

R.O.D. the TV. Complete with nipples.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Well I guess it might be marketed towards older people anyway as it is pretty hard to understand by younger people even though the absence of swearing or even a sexual themes. I had to keeep dtopping the video and explain to my 15 year old sister what was going on, especialy when Lawrence was tricked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10