• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires Spice and Wolf Fantasy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:43 am Reply with quote
FUNimation has gotten their hands on a LOT of anime titles lately. It seems they're the only anime company that doesn't have financial stress. I wonder if the other ones like Viz or Bandai or ADV are doing okay?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:48 am Reply with quote
Richard J wrote:
Speaking of sales, why do people keep claiming this will flop over here? It seems to have a decent fanbase to me.

Because its emphasis is on business in the middle ages. It has a decent online fanbase that became enamored by Horo and the detail of the middle ages. That's not a mainstream thing. Prob won't be a huge seller.

I hope that it sells enough since I am waiting for the BD release version in R1. We prob won't get all the extras but there is one in R2 already.

FireChick wrote:
FUNimation has gotten their hands on a LOT of anime titles lately. It seems they're the only anime company that doesn't have financial stress. I wonder if the other ones like Viz or Bandai or ADV are doing okay?

I guess you missed the story about FUNimation's layoffs.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:03 am Reply with quote
Excellent, I love this series. Here's hoping they get the second season too.
rekishi

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote
i live in australia and i will be importing this... it's one of the series that i never saw but always wanted to.

also, i'm fine if "nothing happens" in it... those types of anime series often turn out to be very good. Mushi Shi was the same... i loved how slow paced it was... ...i've never watched it a second time... but that's beside the point... Very Happy

not every serries has to be Gurren Lagann... (i've never watched that a second time either, one bout of ocular bleeding is enough thank you)...
Loganator456

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:29 am Reply with quote
Yes!!!!!! I can't wait until it's released.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:31 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

Viz is probably doing fine, with the heavy hitters they got, it's hard to imagine them going anywhere for now.

Bandai might be in some trouble, they actually admitted that the next Code Geass release will be very important for them, so hopefully it sells well. At worst, I could see them lowering greatly the number of licenses they've obtained, though that might have already happened. I mean, has Bandai obtained any new licenses this year?

ADV is probably desperately hanging on to remain in business. Clannad sold pretty well, but they're still using those awful stakpacks in their recent sets so they must be cutting a lot of costs, and they barely license anything anymore (save for the recent CPM license rescues, but those probably didn't cost as much as a new license).

As to those who said Spice and Wolf would hurt Funi's sales, you don't know that for sure. Funi has flat out said they've had surprise hits before in the past, and this could very well be one of them. I think a significant factor will be marketing and what the R1-only consumers (those who don't really watch fansubs) think of the show (I'm mostly R1-only, and the show sounds intriguing, so I'll probably pick it up). And it's not like they've only been licensing the "smaller-fanbase" titles, they've got heavy hitters as well (FMA Brotherhood, Soul Eater, Eva movies, etc.).
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:31 am Reply with quote
Spice and Wolf licenced?! Hell yeah!

Unusual premice in beat-to-the-ground setting with rich characters all make it worth the watch. Thanks Funi for brining us this sweet series in the US(easy for us, Canadians, to get it Wink )
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:34 am Reply with quote
So long as FUNi makes a nice enough art box (not paper), and no singles, I'll definitely be picking this one up.

Jarmel wrote:
Excellent, I love this series. Here's hoping they get the second season too.

Hopefully a year after as well, so they don't C&D while it's airing, messing everything up.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sat May 23, 2009 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Antanaru

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:41 am Reply with quote
F*** off funi, hands off this series! Srew up something else.
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:46 am Reply with quote
Antanaru wrote:

What's up with this attitude? Care to elaborate how Funimation is going to "screw it up?"

I'm quite pleased that this one did finally get claimed, as this show ended up being second only to Toradora! on my list of the best shows of 2008 in Japan.

That Funimation picked it up isn't a surprise, as it was fairly popular in fandom when it aired last year, featured one of the year's most delightful female leads, and was heavily requested when Funimation did that first "what should we license" survey earlier this year. Besides, fantasy anime of almost any type has generally done well in the States.

As happy as I am, though, I don't see this being a huge seller for them. I'm guessing it will probably get the straight-to-box-set treatment.

I will also be interested to see who they cast for Horo, as "playfully sly" isn't a common personality type in anime. I could almost see Monica Rial doing this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:48 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I'd say import from R1 but then shipping costs are evil.

Eh, shipping isn't too bad if you make large orders.

@walw6pK4Alo: What do you mean? Something like the Aria boxes from Nozomi?

@Antanaru: FUNi is the best in the business, especially when it comes to dubs. I wouldn't have it any other way.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I will also be interested to see who they cast for Horo, as "playfully sly" isn't a common personality type in anime. I could almost see Monica Rial doing this one.

I kinda think either Luci Christian or Caitlin Glass would be pretty good for Holo.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:55 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
I'd say import from R1 but then shipping costs are evil.

@walw6pK4Alo: What do you mean? Something like the Aria boxes from Nozomi?

Exactly. They look great, they're not massive, and they're not stuffing each disc to the point where the quality might suffer. And you also get 3-4 individual discs with different art.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sat May 23, 2009 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
braves

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:56 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Antanaru wrote:

What's up with this attitude? Care to elaborate how Funimation is going to "screw it up?"

If you look at his post history, you'll see that he hates "American subs."

Which I find kinda funny, since FUNi's subs keeps JP honorifics, terms, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:07 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:

I kinda think either Luci Christian or Caitlin Glass would be pretty good for Holo.

My first thought was Luci Christian, but I could definitely see Monica Rial or Caitlin Glass as well. It should be an interesting role to cast.

@walw6pK4Alo: Yeah, those world be nice. Though FUNi seems to split its products between singles and ultra-thin packs for initial release, so I don't know if it will happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10