• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires Spice and Wolf Fantasy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LKK

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quote
Yippee! Spice and Wolf is going on my Buy list. Mostly I rent anime. But S&W is a series that I know I'll want to own. So happy I'll get the chance now. Very Happy
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote
Everyone has to admit that Funimation is REALLY on the ball. I mean, they are licensing like crazy, and they really pay attention to what's popular and try to grab up the license before it becomes "old news" to all the pirates out there.

Also - the thinpack releases of 12-24 episodes? Genius. I'm kind of glad that single volume releases are slowly becoming a thing of the past - cost aside, they take up way too much room on the shelf!

I also think Bandai would be smart to pull an ADV and re-release a thinpack / legends version of Eureka SeveN ... especially with the movie release in Japan ... and they should jump on licensing that, for sure!

Eureka SeveN > Code Geass Very Happy
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote
Code Geass connection: Both main characters are voiced by the Japanese versions of Kallen and Lelouch who are also love interests.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Mr.Shonen wrote:
Polly E. wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
Epic Failure!!!! Spice and Wolf is Boring! *walks away pissed*

I know, shoulda been K-on

NO , that's even worse

You Sir are a Failure!

K-ON is Epic! stuff actually happens in K-ON, Should have been Zetsubou Sensei, K-ON or Toradora!... Spice and Wolf is just boring. Well just some money I get to keep this time around. Now I am going to get my ass kicked by Glass Joe in Title defense excuse me...

Wow, please just stop. Your trolling sucks. Bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I also think Bandai would be smart to pull an ADV and re-release a thinpack / legends version of Eureka SeveN ... especially with the movie release in Japan ... and they should jump on licensing that, for sure!

Bandai is re-releasing E7 under their Anime Legends label in June and July. It's listed on RACS and TRSI.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

Bandai is re-releasing E7 under their Anime Legends label in June and July. It's listed on RACS and TRSI.

Ohh~ that's awesome! I guess I wasn't paying attention or looking out for it since I have the 12 single-release volumes already Wink

I'd love to see them license the movie, though!
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:05 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
FUNi is the best in the business, especially when it comes to dubs. I wouldn't have it any other way.

You been listening to their recent attempts?
D.Gray-Man springs to mind...
Seems that all this licensing and the speed they have to release for half season sets has been effecting their dub quality.
The days of quality dubs like FMA are long gone.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
just how long before they release this one they take so [expletive] long to get them out
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Big Hed wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

Ohh~ that's awesome! I guess I wasn't paying attention or looking out for it since I have the 12 single-release volumes already Wink

I'd love to see them license the movie, though!

Yeah, I wonder if they will. Same for TTGL. Between E7 and Gurren Lagann I guess the former is more likely, since the story is supposed to be very different.

Anyway, I just bought the twelve E7 singles in TRSI's last sale too. Can't wait to get them Smile (still waiting because I ordered part 1 of 00 with them, which is taking forever)

@vulcanraven01: DGM I can't speak for, but Darker than Black, Claymore, and especially Baccano! all have good English tracks. Though Raki in Claymore really grates, sometimes.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
Polly E. wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:

I know, shoulda been K-on

That's what I was hoping it would be too. That or the long, long, long awaited Sailor Moon re-release, since Funi's now semi-officially floated that balloon in the poll.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
corinthian

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
nick0991 wrote:
Chris Patton for Lawrence, i'm calling it right now.

Nah.Not gonna happen.

It might. He's clearly on Funimation's radar since they cast him in Baccano(!). As much as I'd love Patton, I'd sooner say J. Michael Tatum since he's been getting bigger roles lately. Vic's definitely being signed for the new FMA series, so I don't think it will be him.

Polly E. wrote:
That's what I was hoping it would be too. That or the long, long, long awaited Sailor Moon re-release, since Funi's now semi-officially floated that balloon in the poll.

Last I checked that poll's still active, so they won't announce anything so soon.

Last edited by corinthian on Sat May 23, 2009 11:33 am; edited 2 times in total
DirtnSky

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

EPIC Failure... in sales on the United States to be more precise. It was a wonderful show and the dialog was always engaging for me. But that is the big problem here right? Geneon learned that one pretty quick with their several releases of quirky Japanese centric shows that didn't move at all.

I don't know how well the subtitled 'Emma' did for Right Stuff, but I don't doubt that it did poorly because it was subbed only and had No action at all within. America wants ACtion! The box office smashers prove that time and time again. Sure, there are exceptions like movies in the vein of 'sex in the city' or comedies -but those had action moments thruout too!-, but compared to the action flicks.. no competition.

Epic Failure indeed. The quoted disgust aside.
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
They showed this in my anime club some time after its debut in Japan. I enjoyed the heavy dialogue, but most people were impatient. It's a clever show and I'll MOST certainly will pick it up. A lot of folks thought it would never come here.

Also, while Luci Christian is probably my favorite voice actress from funi, I trust them in their choices for roles.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

Hey, atl least its not another stupid harem or ecchi show (points at Media Blasters) Besides, I heard this show won a award (at least that is what a friend of mine told me.)
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
DirtnSky wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

EPIC Failure... in sales on the United States to be more precise. It was a wonderful show and the dialog was always engaging for me. But that is the big problem here right? Geneon learned that one pretty quick with their several releases of quirky Japanese centric shows that didn't move at all.

I don't know how well the subtitled 'Emma' did for Right Stuff, but I don't doubt that it did poorly because it was subbed only and had No action at all within. America wants ACtion! The box office smashers prove that time and time again. Sure, there are exceptions like movies in the vein of 'sex in the city' or comedies -but those had action moments thruout too!-, but compared to the action flicks.. no competition.

Epic Failure indeed. The quoted disgust aside.

American box office market != American anime market. And, even if Nozomi hasn't done well with Emma (I don't know), they've certainly done well with Aria and Maria Watches Over Us, which are both non-action shows.

Furthermore, S&W isn't what I'd call Japanese-centric, at least not in the same sense that a lot of Geneon shows were. At the very least S&W has the fantasy setting and a wolf-girl, both of which are selling points I'd say. Marketing will really make a difference for how well it sells, I think.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10