• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires Spice and Wolf Fantasy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
I told them they should have licensed this yesterday on the recent poll and maybe they did... hmm...

Yup, when they saw how much you wanted it they dug in their pockets and got the contract signed overnight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I'm not all that disappointed that Funimation didn't announce K-On! (or hasn't announced it yet) because I'd rather Bandai Entertainment pick K-On! up anyway if only for the (increasingly faint) possibility that Bandai would distribute a deluxe volume-one-plus-box version with a bonus soundtrack CD.

The possibility that Funi's announcement might have been K-On! really only crossed my mind because of the poll.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Any license or distribution of a new anime is good news to me. Even if I don't like the anime in question. Luckily, I didn't think S&W was that bad, so I'll probably buy it. If you didn't like it, don't buy it. As someone else said, I don't quite understand why certain people act as if their opinions on anime reflect those of the entire fandom. I mean, we already have people bashing Kodomo no Jikan in this very thread, and it's not even licensed. Spreading venomous hate about shows or genres you don't care for, at every possible opportunity, is pathetic. I wonder how FUNi takes these talkback sections, if indeed they read them. Half the posts are angry that they acquired S&W. I suppose they just have to ignore it and trust in their decision. Just as they did with Strike Witches, I'm sure.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Basically the fact they have so many licensed series in the line to be released as speedy half season boxsets means they have less time to work with the dubs, leading to a half-assed end product.

Perhaps you have a point there, but I can't say yet. But FUNi has an excellent track record with me thus far, so I'm certainly willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. Once winter/next spring comes around I'll be in more of a position to make a personal judgement, since I'll be buying the Druaga, Soul Eater, and Shikabane Hime season/half-season sets (possibly Kaze no Stigma in the mean time, though I'm iffy on that one).

I doubt the fact that they're in half-season sets affects the dub much. One Piece, School Rumble Season 2, and Ghost Hunt all had good-excellent dubs, and though I haven't watched them yet, Ouran High School Host Club and Heroic Age reportedly have great dubs as well. Just because they didn't do D. Gray-man that well (which I disagree, everyone save maybe Kanda sounded great IMHO) doesn't mean we can start automatically judging all their dubs for half-season sets will be poorly done.
bakaShin

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I had to post in this epic thread. 6 pages for S&W, Wow. It was decent and I really doubted that anyone would pick this up. Guess I was wrong.
grooven

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote
God is funimation the only company alive...seriously

They have talk back sessions Anime hyper I would get thrown out
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
You guys really want K-ON licensed here in the states?

Please, there are a lot of shows that really deserve to be here besides K-ON
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
I love it when otaku speak for the entire anime community. Rolling Eyes

If they didn't this wouldn't have gotten licensed...

Really?
Are you talking about the fans who say, "I want this and I will buy it", or the ones that say, "Nobody will buy this, I don't like this so no one else will either"? Because I'm talking about the latter. I hope you understand the difference. The difference being of course that one is speaking only of themselves, what they will do and of what they can control, and the other is speaking of someone besides themselves, what those people will do and of what they can not control.

I am glad you feel better about companies who listen to the otaku who speak for the entire community, I however, feel better about companies who listen to the otaku who speak only for themselves.

Another odd thing since Emma was brought up. Some of the louder among us were telling everyone that the only way it was to be brought over was to have it sub only, and that basically Nozomi was the only place for it being a niche title and all. They were in the business, they had the numbers, they know more about it than we ever could, they had to be right. Fine. Let's accept that premise. However, some of those same very people are telling us that FUNi (a company that sells tons more anime than RS/Nozomi ever did) is wrong in licensing Spice and Wolf, they have made a bad choice, they are going to lose money, the show can't survive with a dub, etc. So somehow Nozomi trumps FUNi when it comes to the anime business, they know how to read the numbers accordingly, and the research they put into things such as market penetration for a product is somehow more correct. Sorry but you can't have it both ways. Paradoxical? Most certainly. One thing it does make clear is the ulterior motives those people originally had, and what their true aim was. FUNi licensed this because they thought it will sell, period. And just because all the spastics don't get online every five minutes and write incoherent sentences about the awesome splodes and unrelenting action doesn't mean there isn't a viable market for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Xanas wrote:
I told them they should have licensed this yesterday on the recent poll and maybe they did... hmm...

Yup, when they saw how much you wanted it they dug in their pockets and got the contract signed overnight.

I know, that was awesome. Everyone should thank me now, except Mario since he thinks the show is boring. Mario, I'm with you on Clannad and the dub, why are you being a hater about S&W???

(And well said Dargonxtc)
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I'd say import from R1 but then shipping costs are evil.

Corrupt customs agents are eviler. Main reason why I'm willing to pay extra to have someone else deal with the BoC, rather than order from RACS or TRSI.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Xanas wrote:

I know, that was awesome. Everyone should thank me now, except Mario since he thinks the show is boring. Mario, I'm with you on Clannad and the dub, why are you being a hater about S&W???

(And well said Dargonxtc)

I am not being a hater. I just thought it was really Boring. You guys can buy what you want. (except for Dragonaut DO NOT BUY) I still will support FUNimation cause they are the only Company that is really Living and talking with there fans also they are asking the fans what they want They are a good Company a Damn good Company I know they will License stuff I want soon And Dub it. The only Anime I must have is Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Toradora!, K-ON, and Sumomo Momomo. There are other things I like but those 4 are main + Clannad The ~After Story~ but ADV has ****ed that up for me so. I try not to think about it. Anyway I know they will get Zetsubou Sensei, K-ON and Toradora! cause I know those three and are destroying everything in that Survey they put out so I am sure FUNimation will take Notice. ADV and Bandai are lost souls, No Dub for Hayate and no dub for Clannad are Hyper Fail. Anyway back on Topic I hope Spice and Wolf is a success so FUNimation can keep us fans Happy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
My, my. What a touchy subject this seems to be. I was going to post and say that I might get it because it looks interesting, but apprarently there seem to be some angry people here.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
My, my. What a touchy subject this seems to be. I was going to post and say that I might get it because it looks interesting, but apprarently there seem to be some angry people here.

It's driven by a relaxing theme of economics and the two main characters forming their relationship. Yeah Mario would find it boring, because it's a pretty slow paced show which doesn't do anything amazing or broad in terms of scale. I think a lot people watched it just for Horo, the somewhat sly and wisecracking wolf in human form.
mow123

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:01 am Reply with quote
It's a good show, and I hope it gets a good dub. For the most part, Funimation has done a decent job with their shows, so I'm not too worried. While this show is a tad niche, I am not too surprised that the show got a dub. It has clever dialogue, a somewhat unusual subject matter, and interesting character interactions. The only major minus is that I can't recommend this show to many people because Horo has a habit of prancing around in her birthday suit about half the time -- I know she's a wolf, but I could have done without all of that nudity.

This show was shown at my college anime club, and it had more varied opinions compared to the other shows that we watched, some hated it while others liked it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:12 am Reply with quote
It's a good job FUNimation got this rather then No(dub)zomi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10