• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Phantom Episode 10 Leaked 1 Day Before Japan's Debut

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Based on a lot of what I've been reading so far, it seems to me that there are a bunch of people who, if they found a wallet on the street, would simply jack the money and walk instead of trying to locate the owner and return said wallet.

WTH is wrong with you? Isn't this the sort of thinking that has kept anime companies from pursuing net distribution in the first place? If you KNOW that there's going to be a simulcast and you KNOW the date for it, unwad your panties and JUST FREAKIN' WAIT FOR IT. If you really want to get official zero-day subs, you're gonna have to let the companies get through the growing pains of learning how to do this sort of thing. In the meantime, you can go read a book or something.

Jeezus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
Based on a lot of what I've been reading so far, it seems to me that there are a bunch of people who, if they found a wallet on the street, would simply jack the money and walk instead of trying to locate the owner and return said wallet.
I'd try to find the owner but I'd spend a while debating my choice and thinking I was stupid to do it. That warm fuzzy feeling when I give it back would help but I know I'd totally be thinking "I could have bought some great stuff with that money."

I hope the growing pains as you called them don't last too long and things get fixed and back on track VERY SOON. The simulcasts and the streaming have been, at least in my opinion, a wonderful step in the right direction. It's just crazy to try and ruin it in my opinion.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I hope the growing pains as you called them don't last too long and things get fixed and back on track VERY SOON. The simulcasts and the streaming have been, at least in my opinion, a wonderful step in the right direction. It's just crazy to try and ruin it in my opinion.

I agree. But I guess some people just can't get over their thought that they are somehow entitled to free, HD, downloads of anime episodes. Confused
dan888

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:

WTH is wrong with you? Isn't this the sort of thinking that has kept anime companies from pursuing net distribution in the first place? If you KNOW that there's going to be a simulcast and you KNOW the date for it, unwad your panties and JUST FREAKIN' WAIT FOR IT. If you really want to get official zero-day subs, you're gonna have to let the companies get through the growing pains of learning how to do this sort of thing. In the meantime, you can go read a book or something.

Jeezus.

The bigger issue though is that Funimation has continued to breach their contracts by uploading files to their public servers before they air in Japan. Just accessing those files early is legal when they are on a public server and one just needs the URL, the only crime is copyright infringement. Had the group who leaks these files just distributed a link to the file on Funimation's server, no law would have been broken, and the only party who could have been sued would be Funimation by the company who's contract they breached.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
Man why do people keep coming up with analogies that just do not even remotely apply?

If you really really want to stick with the dropped wallet analogy then it would be: "Hey we're giving out free wallets stashed with money tomorrow on this stand here". Well, it turns out that you've put them out on the stand a day earlier with a "Free wallets with money" sign.

Sounds ridiculous? Well it's the same situation with Funimation. So you're saying that it's peoples fault for accessing the files when they themselves had posted the files for the sole purpose of being accessed? Even if the intent was for it to be accessed later, there's nothing illegal nor unethical about accessing those files when they're made available.

I would have much more sympathy for Funimation if they simply acknowledged the long standing problem and did not try to point fingers at everyone else besides themselves. Of course that would put them in a pinch with the Japanese licensors.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote
I was just thinking about the phrase: Lighting doesn't strike twice. you know the theory about someone on the inside... well my new theory is kind of like that... but a little different. Before you think "oh this is going to be stupid" here me out... what if and I know this is a big a what if: the person uploading the episodes is a disgruntled employee... someone who hates their job so much that they want to quit but can't... so they decided to take the company down... It might seem unlikely, but it's a possibility... even more possible than someone on the inside working for the fansubs.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
What I don't understand is why the files were still uploaded before they were meant to air. Especially after the initial leaks, if you know people are going to be hunting for them early, don't put them up until it's time. It's pretty simple.

Unless there's some reason that the files had to be on the public server before they were due to be released that we haven't been told?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
Here we go again. Like the One Piece thread, this isn't going to end well.

Dang it people, is it THAT impossible to wait for an anime episode? Is it that entertaning to ruin other people's enjoyment and to have absolutely no remorse about this at all?

I really feel for Funimation, this stupid incidents like this that make anime progress stay in the same exact spot we were years ago.
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
*sigh* Rolling Eyes

First One Piece 403, now Phantom 10...
SECURE THAT FRIGGN' SERVER FUNI!!!!!
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
dan888 wrote:
Iron Chef wrote:

Jeezus.

The bigger issue though is that Funimation has continued to breach their contracts by uploading files to their public servers before they air in Japan. Just accessing those files early is legal when they are on a public server and one just needs the URL, the only crime is copyright infringement. Had the group who leaks these files just distributed a link to the file on Funimation's server, no law would have been broken, and the only party who could have been sued would be Funimation by the company who's contract they breached.

Well, this may have happened with OP and Phantom, but this inherently CAN'T happen with FMA:B if they're apparently translating the dialog on Mondays and Tuesdays, which I believe they are. Therefore the only thing that's "leaked" about FMA:B is FUNi's own version of the translation. Everything else can be found on numerous fansub sites; the trolls still abound. Therefore it's double-standard for Aniplex to punish FUNi, when there are all these fansub sites that come out well before FUNi's webcast. The only exception to that would be if it DID appear with FUNi's translation before it aired in Japan; that would be a pretty ugly situation. But that hasn't happened yet; still, for ANN to say FMA:B "Leaked" it is a very negative connotation, since it implies that it's the same situation as OP and Phantom, which it isn't.
Ichigo069

configspace wrote:
Man why do people keep coming up with analogies that just do not even remotely apply?

If you really really want to stick with the dropped wallet analogy then it would be: "Hey we're giving out free wallets stashed with money tomorrow on this stand here". Well, it turns out that you've put them out on the stand a day earlier with a "Free wallets with money" sign.

Sounds ridiculous? Well it's the same situation with Funimation. So you're saying that it's peoples fault for accessing the files when they themselves had posted the files for the sole purpose of being accessed? Even if the intent was for it to be accessed later, there's nothing illegal nor unethical about accessing those files when they're made available.

I would have much more sympathy for Funimation if they simply acknowledged the long standing problem and did not try to point fingers at everyone else besides themselves. Of course that would put them in a pinch with the Japanese licensors.

Want a better analogy? Here's one from Plorkyeran on Koda's blog
http://www.srsfkn.biz/2009/06/03/good-luck-funimation/
Quote:
A more accurate analogy would be that a stranger walked up to Funimation’s server and asked if it wanted to f**k, and it said yes. When Funimation found out about this, it got angry about how people thought its server was a slut and so started claiming that the server was raped and grounded the server for a while. Now as it turns out, the stranger happened to record itself having (consensual) sex with Funimation’s server and released the video on the internet, without the server’s knowledge. This part was illegal (as with all fansubs), but the sex itself was not.
Jih2

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Dang it people, is it THAT impossible to wait for an anime episode? Is it that entertaning to ruin other people's enjoyment and to have absolutely no remorse about this at all?

I really feel for Funimation, this stupid incidents like this that make anime progress stay in the same exact spot we were years ago.

Well a certain fansub group who has been distributing CR's sub of Naruto certainly thinks so. In fact they say that they exist to piss the American companies and CR off.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
I was just thinking about the phrase: Lighting doesn't strike twice. you know the theory about someone on the inside... well my new theory is kind of like that... but a little different. Before you think "oh this is going to be stupid" here me out... what if and I know this is a big a what if: the person uploading the episodes is a disgruntled employee... someone who hates their job so much that they want to quit but can't... so they decided to take the company down... It might seem unlikely, but it's a possibility... even more possible than someone on the inside working for the fansubs.

First, every company has hired people with fansubbing background at one point or another and that has never been a problem.

Second, if this is an inside job then it's an "inside job" that they were already aware of (there's proof) and allowed to continue for some time now. And it's not like someone "leaked" episodes a week or more in advanced. It's never more than a day and it seems to be part of standard procedure for them (at least until a big stink was made about it).

Jih2 wrote:
Well a certain fansub group who has been distributing CR's sub of Naruto certainly thinks so. In fact they say that they exist to piss the American companies and CR off.

Please don't call them fansubbers. They themselves deny any claims of fansubbing and readily acknowledge themselves purely ripping off CR streams

Last edited by configspace on Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Iron Chef wrote:
I'd try to find the owner but I'd spend a while debating my choice and thinking I was stupid to do it. That warm fuzzy feeling when I give it back would help but I know I'd totally be thinking "I could have bought some great stuff with that money."

Now wouldn't be crazy if part of this was some type of corporate sabotage with an insider component. A disgrunted employee in the IT department doing the "leaking". Trying to get FUNi to lose the streaming licenses as some sort of revenge.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

What the hell are you talking about the market is shrinking.

A lot of people don't want Funimation to exist, as they consider them a nuisance. With the american anime companies gone the fansubbers instanty go from pirates to saviours giving the world anime.

Why do you think Horrible is so active in trying to find these videos?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 15