• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Btooom! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ibbe96

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:59 am Reply with quote
hi I start on the anime and it's scary sick and incredible cool
I remember the episode 2 I saw a guy get killed by one of his comrades
I was shocked that it happened this anime is one of 100
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
the most important question is this: When Sakamoto talks, do you hear Kanata Hongo, his VA, talking or you do hear Minoru Shiraishi speaking? despite that fact that im a dude, i cringed slightly when Himiko tasered crazy lady's boobs. didn't the nurse tell Himiko the name of the doctor? I'd like to believe that Sakamoto was able to accurately predict the location of the BIMs and thus figure out the safest place to be within the kill zone based on his knowledge of the explosion radius of the BIMs. of course that leaves how he could possibly manage to move that fast before being engulfed in an explosion.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm tuning all of you out so you don't corrupt my view of Sakamoto with cats and other characters.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:20 am Reply with quote
That was disappointing. So it turns out that Sakamoto was really being a dimwit and not thinking ahead of the game after all.

I guess that's why Himiko thinks she can trust him.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

But the reveal that he was spoiler[actually walking towards the equipment at a different distance which the guy would not be able to tell because of loss in depth perception] was pretty brilliant. Though he seems to be a fool in trusting the doctor, he did not listen to Himeko's instincts and only picked up on it towards the end.

How will he survive this one?
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:03 am Reply with quote
ep.10
spoiler[
evil fat host & others are watching ryota match rocker guy seeing how ryota survive til a moment wait two realize have they met before?

after exhaust bombing with kira appear take back his bomb & himiko checking on ryota give seeing rocker person remind a person from his school time.

during know a guy used to be a pal til he steal a girl from ryota cue beatdown & notice it same person while speaking of rocker he stuck with lizard lady.

& yea himiko still don't trust the doctor person so ryota being huh yea so try get medicine til yep the doctor is LIE cue boom on ryota?
]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
How will he survive this one?

Like he always does. The recap will show that he was tactically advanced from what the closing scene shows.

For example. spoiler[The closing scene shows the case blowing up under his armpit. But really? In fact, he picked up a DIFFERENT case and nobody noticed. I bet.]
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
REALLY!?!? Because of a different view pointspoiler[ he survived!!] What a cheap ploy and a cop out. We all know he was not going to die so what was really point in pulling a stupid stunt like that? I thought the writing in this show was bad enough and they pull a stupid stunt like that.

Last edited by jsc315 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
REALLY!?!? Because of a different view point he survived!! What a cheap ploy and a cop out. We all know he was not going to die so what was really point in pulling a stupid stunt like that? I thought the writing in this show was bad enough and they pull a stupid stunt like that.

Uh, no. Let me explain something about how our vision works. You see, we have two (2) eyes. And because our eyes are spaced a certain distance apart, they are able to focus on a particular point, which allows us to have something referred to as "depth perception", which means we can tell how far something is away from us.

With only one (1) eye, you lose your depth perception, and so it becomes difficult to tell just how far away things are. You can guess, but if you're not used to seeing things that way, your guess isn't likely to be very good.

The Bad Guy (Oda) was spoiler[tracking Sakamoto using only one (1) eye. Sakamoto knew this and so stood directly behind (from Bad Guy's angle) the trapped area. But Oda couldn't tell how far behind the trapped area Sakamoto was standing, and thought that Sakamoto, when he kneeled down, was actually right on top of it, when in fact Sakamoto was several feet away... outside of the kill radius of the blast.]

That Sakamoto even thought to do that is pretty amazing. However, in online gaming, based on what we saw of it, this trick would also work since depth of field is only approximated on a 2D surface of a monitor/TV, so he may have learned this technique in the game and not just come up with it on the fly.

So, it was not "because of a different view point," but becausespoiler[ Oda wasn't able to use his depth perception, and Sakamoto recognized this and took advantage of it.]
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
REALLY!?!? Because of a different view point he survived!! What a cheap ploy and a cop out. We all know he was not going to die so what was really point in pulling a stupid stunt like that? I thought the writing in this show was bad enough and they pull a stupid stunt like that.

Uh, no. Let me explain something about how our vision works. You see, we have two (2) eyes. And because our eyes are spaced a certain distance apart, they are able to focus on a particular point, which allows us to have something referred to as "depth perception", which means we can tell how far something is away from us.

With only one (1) eye, you lose your depth perception, and so it becomes difficult to tell just how far away things are. You can guess, but if you're not used to seeing things that way, your guess isn't likely to be very good.

The Bad Guy (Oda) was spoiler[tracking Sakamoto using only one (1) eye. Sakamoto knew this and so stood directly behind (from Bad Guy's angle) the trapped area. But Oda couldn't tell how far behind the trapped area Sakamoto was standing, and thought that Sakamoto, when he kneeled down, was actually right on top of it, when in fact Sakamoto was several feet away... outside of the kill radius of the blast.]

That Sakamoto even thought to do that is pretty amazing. However, in online gaming, based on what we saw of it, this trick would also work since depth of field is only approximated on a 2D surface of a monitor/TV, so he may have learned this technique in the game and not just come up with it on the fly.

So, it was not "because of a different view point," but becausespoiler[ Oda wasn't able to use his depth perception, and Sakamoto recognized this and took advantage of it.]

No I get all of that. It just really lame how they wrote that in. That is extremely lazy writing. It's as if they did not bother wanting to try and come up with a reason other then trick the viewer into something that happened, when really it did not. That is my problem. Why even bother with the whole thing in the first place then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Sakamoto vs Oda!
His plan didn't go too well. Lost food and a bim pack.
At least Himiko was happy to see him alive.
Flashback to school days was kinda interesting.
Taira still in pretty bad shape...
I don't like Date's thoughts one bit.
Looks like he really is a bad one.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
TBoooooooooooooooom
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
With only one (1) eye, you lose your depth perception,

Um, no you don't.

Binocular cues are only effective within a meter or so but there are many other kinds of cues that give your brain what it needs to determine depth.

Having said that I think in this case Sakamoto's ploy worked because there was a knoll of sand that kept the guy from seeing where the trap was, which was very clearly marked with the bait. There was no line of sight but if there were it wouldn't have mattered with monoscopic vision. He still could have seen contact or lack of between Sakamoto and the bait.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
No I get all of that. It just really lame how they wrote that in. That is extremely lazy writing. It's as if they did not bother wanting to try and come up with a reason other then trick the viewer into something that happened, when really it did not. That is my problem. Why even bother with the whole thing in the first place then.

I'd blame the anime writers/director for that. They wanted to end it on a cliffhanger. I agree that they resort to that sort of thing too much. I find it mildly annoying, not as a show-stopper.

One thing it does is show just how crazy good Sakamoto really is, to be able to think up that ploy in the middle of a life-or-death struggle is pretty amazing. So, I don't have a problem with the actual actions, but I do agree that the execution of it is annoying. In fact, they seem to do this in all sorts of situations -- mislead the viewer, I mean: making it seem someone was blown up when they weren't, for example. Some of that is fine, but I agree that the show relies too much on it to provide tension/uncertainty, when they should maybe use other methods to achieve the same ends.

HaruhiToy wrote:
Um, no you don't.

Binocular cues are only effective within a meter or so but there are many other kinds of cues that give your brain what it needs to determine depth.

That may be true, but those cues aren't as effective, especially if you're not used to seeing the world that way. I don't disagree with the rest of what you said, but I do think that losing his binocular depth perception was a significant part of why the ruse worked. Either way, I thought it was pretty impressive. Using that kind of trick would never have occurred to me.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Sakamoto is a weak protagonist, but now he's becoming a stupid one. At first, I viewed Himiko as just fan service, but she is the brains of the operation now. To completely dismiss the instincts of someone you trust and then fully trust someone you just met, on an island in which everyone is trying to kill you, is just plain stupid.

I'm surprised Sakamoto didn't justify Date throwing a bomb near her, instead of essentially ignoring her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 19