• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure [Parts 1 + 2] (TV) [Phantom Blood + Battle Tendency].

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
Mr. Nescio wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:
what really sucks about this over used story line is there won't be ANY surprises I could literally write a list of events that will occur over the episodes following the two possibilities where its going to head to and be spot on.
I would really like to hear from you what is going to happen. Of course I want your own prediction, not a summary of the manga.

since i NEVER read manga that wont be a problem will it?

as for what will happen like i said there are two possibilities either jojo gets his act together and thwarts dio or dio does manage to take everything leaving jojo as a beggar /prince and the popper(much older story than jojo's adventures or The Count of Monte Cristo which also predates this anime by decades.) the story is old just because the anime has older origins the story has even older roots. i could list a dozen stories that would follow dio completely dominating or jojo getting his act together because there are so many to chose from.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That is all
savedbythebell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
Mr. Nescio wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:
what really sucks about this over used story line is there won't be ANY surprises I could literally write a list of events that will occur over the episodes following the two possibilities where its going to head to and be spot on.
I would really like to hear from you what is going to happen. Of course I want your own prediction, not a summary of the manga.

since i NEVER read manga that wont be a problem will it?

as for what will happen like i said there are two possibilities either jojo gets his act together and thwarts dio or dio does manage to take everything leaving jojo as a beggar /prince and the popper(much older story than jojo's adventures or The Count of Monte Cristo which also predates this anime by decades.) the story is old just because the anime has older origins the story has even older roots. i could list a dozen stories that would follow dio completely dominating or jojo getting his act together because there are so many to chose from.

You obviously have absolutely no idea what kind of show this is.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
If dragoneyes001 won't watch Jojo's Bizarre Adventure because he thinks it will be predictable, he might as well read the House of 1000 Manga column about the manga, animenewsnetwork.com/house-of-1000-manga/2010-12-23.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
how about i make this really simple!

I think this anime sucks eggs its my opinion of this anime. I really couldn't give less of a shit if you people like it or not!
you wont change my opinion and I have no intention of arguing my or your points of view on it!

if you happen to like it enjoy away!
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:

I think this anime sucks eggs its my opinion of this anime. I really couldn't give less of a shit if you people like it or not!
you wont change my opinion and I have no intention of arguing my or your points of view on it!

Nobody cares if you like it. The problem is that the reason you dislike it is completely wrong. I can tell you right now those predictions are completely wrong and that you're ignoring a key point-the stone mask that they feature prominently. Also worth noting that one simple fact from the manga pretty much destroys your prediction: Jojo's bizarre adventure does not have just 1 main protagonist. Jojo is an extremely long manga that was split into parts, with each part having a brand new main character all of whom are different types of characters with different backgrounds. For example, the original anime for this manga solely covered part 3 of the manga and it definitely did not star the same character
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, awesome episode. I've waited for months to see the first episode of this show and it did not disappoint.

Dio is asshole personified. That is all.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I have not watched any of it yet, I have been completly turned away by the advertising artwork as I know that I really doubt that I could enjoy an anime with that style. I am also being turned off by mentions of strong cruelty in this topic, do you guys think I have totally got the wrong idea, and it aint that bad. To make it clear I really hated House of 5 Leaves and Tatamari Galaxy largely for their chosen styles, and I get no entertainment from cruel people being cruel to each other, could it be a big issue?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
The style doesn't bother me, it would be the only thing to attract me actually, but that aspect of cruelty and the way everyone keeps going on that Dio is villainy personified does convince me I'm not following it.
I did give it a slight chance, I watched about the first third and parts of the rest.
Dio does come off to me as exactly the type of bad guy I can't stand, pompous, "pure evil," sadist- mix in some horror elements to the series, even if they do promise to be unique brands of horror, and a protagonist I don't care for either and I don't see much of anything other than the style that I could like.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ssandulak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I was really disappointed in the first episode. Perhaps I've been spoiled but I like to have 3 dimensional characters and the 2 we were introduced to...just weren't. I understand this is from the 80's so it'll show it's age. And perhaps it does get better, but it's certainly not leading with it's strong foot :p
The animation was clunky, the dialogue was stilted and every moment Dio didn't twirl his curly mustache and cackle maniacally as the train came to hit the heroine on the train tracks I was surprised.
Now being a huge fan of some of the incredible style I have seen from stills and clips from Dio specific stuff...I'll give it a couple more.
For anyone that hasn't watched it yet...LOWER your expectations though. Mine were way higher than they should have been Smile
TheAmericanDream

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:10 am Reply with quote
I would merely say, keep watching it. If you have trouble with the art, then maybe look elsewhere, there are great characters in JoJo's but this first season is definitely the weakest part (in my opinion) of the series (which is quite long). That being said, I really liked this first episode, but probably because I know all of what it's setting up in the future. The plot elements introduced in the next 2-3 episodes will most likely sway or confirm opinions for some of you first time viewers.

I think things shift pretty heavily once the supernatural elements that put the "Bizarre" in the title finally kick in.
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:

[Post was removed due to insults towards other users]

I really don't see what I've done for you to be calling me names. And what I'm saying is not opinion based- it's fact based. NOw if you don't believe me, you could easily look it up on any number of sources seeing as how the manga series has been going on for 25 years, is completely scanlated, and is extremely well known
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:55 am Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:

This doesn't have much to do with likes or dislikes. I just want to ask you this:

There is a person who complains to you about how predictable some series is. Then you ask him what his prediction is, so he tells it. Somehow you know that his prediction will not become true.

What would you think of such a person?
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:

This doesn't have much to do with likes or dislikes. I just want to ask you this:

There is a person who complains to you about how predictable some series is. Then you ask him what his prediction is, so he tells it. Somehow you know that his prediction will not become true.

for one thing the predictions of either jojo getting his crap together or dio completing his plan to depose jojo doesn't leave much room for other directions even tossing in a mask that can twist time and space with a million alternate worlds all attached to it or whatever the mask is in the manga. even if they had 100 episodes of alternate ends at some point the anime will have to chose one of the above.

second and i'm repeating myself I really really couldn't give less of a crap about an anime I've chosen for my crappy list and pleasing the detractors to that opinion holds no importance.

and to the mod who deleted the last post: Sock puppet= brand new account used by an older account user wanting to hide their identity either to conceal conflicting views or to get away with some aspect of the rules of the forum,like having been warned to not do something....etc... i'm pretty sure Aaronrules380 being created specifically at the time to answer my post was a Sock puppet
Demon_Rin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
for one thing the predictions of either jojo getting his crap together or dio completing his plan to depose jojo doesn't leave much room for other directions even tossing in a mask that can twist time and space with a million alternate worlds all attached to it or whatever the mask is in the manga. even if they had 100 episodes of alternate ends at some point the anime will have to chose one of the above.

Except that, your prediction is still completely wrong. Trying to predict what will happen in a 25 year old manga isn't very smart because when you end up hilariously wrong like this, people can call you on it, and are.

You're allowed to not like it, just say "I don't like this" but don't insult us by telling us that you can predict what is going to happen in a 25 year old story we all know the outcome of, when you're dead wrong.

You want to know why everyone here is telling you your prediction is wrong? since you obviously aren't going to watch the series, I'll tell you.

spoiler[Your prediction that "Jojo will get his crap together" or that "Dio will succeed in his plan" actually all is resolved in the next episode or two (based on the Next episode preview)

Dio should enact his plan to kill Jojo in episode 2 or 3 and it will fail in episode 2 or 3 because Jojo fights back. Congratulations, you have predicted what will happen in the second episode and are claiming that is how the series will end. But then, when Jojo mounts more of a resistance than Dio expected, backed into a corner, and this is the important part, He Uses the stone mask on himself and it turns him into a VAMPIRE.

Then Jojo needs to learn how to fight vampires, fights, and defeats Dio, but he's already got "His crap together" by the time Dio even BECOMES a vampire. That entire issue is resolved literally next episode or two, then a new plot about Vampires starts. Then, after Jojo beats Dio, Dio comes back at the last minute and kills Jojo, and Steals his body so then Dio puts his head on Jojo's body. At this point the Inheritence plot has already failed and Dio has no way of getting it. This awakens a power in him called a "Stand" which is a ghostly manifestation of power that pops out which he can fight with.

[b]The Story involving Dio ends when Johnathan's Great Great Grandson develops a Stand and, after going through an entire storyarc of his own, defeats Dio with it.

tl;dr the entire "Dio's plot to take over the fortune" is only the SETUP and is resolved in the next episode or two, when the real plot with Vampires starts. Jojo ends up dying, and Dio doesn't get the inheritence in the end. Neither of the things you said would happen does]

Last edited by Demon_Rin on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
Mr. Nescio wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:

That doesn't answer my question, but I still ask you a new one:

Suppose you know a person who says things like "I can predict the weather, it will rain or it won't rain" or "I know what you are going to have for dinner tonight. It will be chicken or it won't be chicken". He might even complain how predictable some things are.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13