• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (The Pet Girl of Sakurasou) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Hikari could just be a large cat. mine certainly is and she could definitely use some exercise.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:05 am Reply with quote
This show makes me all warm inside. I love shows and media about close-knit families and friends. This group of people is so great, damn. I feel as warm and happy watching this as I did Hanasaku Iroha or Summer Wars.

All that said, I knew that Nanami would spoiler[moving into Sakuraou.] Also, Programmer-kun said that Sorata needed spoiler[illustrations] to help his game proposal succeed, so I wonder where he'll go for that. He has two possible sources, really...but I think we all know who he's going to choose.

Was that Samurai Showdown?! I mean, actually Samurai Showdown? Yes, I know it's called Samurai Spirits in Japan, but having not played the game for more then six rounds, I don't really remember it. That's pretty cool if it is, you don't usually see that in anime. They usually give a weird name to licensed things to not make it that thing (like Snackies for Snickers).

I love this show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

She sure is inhuman, able to spoiler[memorise answers by just pretending that they are paintings], I laughed at her apologies. Gotta say I am a fan of the times she asked a hypothetical question or similar and she just says what is on the top of her head, very humorous to watch.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
OMG I think this might have been the first anime I have seen where the girl did not slap the guy for accidentally peaking. I hate that trope with a passion, especially when its the girls fault and yet they still feel the need to slap/punch the guy. I am surprised how much I am liking this show. I was expecting an average comedic harem, but it is much more than that. It actually has a plot and all of the characters are pursuing their own dreams.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
OMG I think this might have been the first anime I have seen where the girl did not slap the guy for accidentally peaking.

Well, she did punch him in the face later, but that was because she thought he committed a more serious offense. However it was nice she immediately apologised afterwards after realising her mistake.

But yeah, it's nice that everyone is moving forward and the bit with sleepy Mashiro talking to Sorata and Nanami was hilarious. Goes back to a more humorous tone but it doesn't forget about the development of the past episodes. Now it's Nanami's turn. She's clearly pushing herself way too hard, likely in an effort to prove to her parents she can handle things on her own. She needs to learn it's okay to rely on others, and if anyone can get through to her it's the screwballs of Sakurasou.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I was wrong about the cat. I'm man enough to admit that.

Anyways, I love how Shiina misses Sorata. I had a little d'aww moment when she threw a fit (well, a Shiina-sized fit) when she was trying to get Sorata to fold her underwear, but Aoyama kept shooting her down. The bed talk was doubly d'aww.

I'm also a bit curious why Aoyama is being *this* stubborn. I get the stuff with her parents, but not even letting Sorata help out with chores around the dorm? He lives there too, and apparently they've been friends for a long time, so why not let him help with menial chores? It seems a bit much.

Also, [tongue-in-cheek] question: Is the show now not sexist because it's a girl taking care of Shiina? I mean, Shiina didn't change, only the "handler", but since Aoyama is a girl, instead of a guy, is it now totally cool and not sexist?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I suppose you don't really want an answer, but the sexism thing is tied to the audience-insert thing, which is what's changing (not the sex of the character).

Not that it ever bothered me. In fact, I liked the way it took the standard expectations ("audience insert dude is superior to helpless girl...") and flipped it entirely ("...because she's a genius and he's just support staff. Like a janitor for NASA.")
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Anyways, I love how Shiina misses Sorata. I had a little d'aww moment when she threw a fit (well, a Shiina-sized fit) when she was trying to get Sorata to fold her underwear, but Aoyama kept shooting her down. The bed talk was doubly d'aww.

I'm also a bit curious why Aoyama is being *this* stubborn. I get the stuff with her parents, but not even letting Sorata help out with chores around the dorm? He lives there too, and apparently they've been friends for a long time, so why not let him help with menial chores? It seems a bit much.

Also, [tongue-in-cheek] question: Is the show now not sexist because it's a girl taking care of Shiina? I mean, Shiina didn't change, only the "handler", but since Aoyama is a girl, instead of a guy, is it now totally cool and not sexist?

Honestly (and I'm not just saying this to make you feel better), I thought that the cat being preggo would be a part of Nanami moving in. You did present a pretty good argument.

Anyway, I'm not sure why she's being so stubborn. She's working what, three jobs? The rent in Sakurasou is cheaper then the normal dorms, so you'd think that she could drop one of those in order to be able to focus more on her schools. Then there is the chores and jank...maybe she's trying to hide some kind of insecurity? Maybe she just wants to ensure that her future is what she wants it to be.

Something like that.

Also, as much as I like Shiina, her blase towards normal conventions of daily life somewhat annoys me (though I find it more endearing then annoying). I hope that the combine efforts of both Nanami and Sorata can maybe teach her? Though, like I said, I do enjoy this 'idiot savant' thing she's got going.

Does anybody maybe think she's...autistic? Or is that reading too deep into the character?

I didn't mention it before, but the Three's Company-esque misunderstandings between Sorata, Nanami and Shiina crack me up.

Now for some pictures!

How thin are the shirts in Anime Japan?

These are very small, too. I read somewhere that Nanami's three sizes are 81-58-83. In inches that's 31-22-32. That's pretty petite, yeah?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
OMG I think this might have been the first anime I have seen where the girl did not slap the guy for accidentally peaking.

Well, she did punch him in the face later, but that was because she thought he committed a more serious offense. However it was nice she immediately apologised afterwards after realising her mistake.

That is true but like you I felt that was a legit response to the situation. She was sleeping and of course she wasn't thinking straight when she woke up. So I don't blame her for thinking something bad was happening, and she also did apologize.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
ZorgonXtreme wrote:
Does anybody maybe think she's...autistic? Or is that reading too deep into the character?

Most people have been saying that since before the show started. The thing is autism is very much a Western thing. We're the ones who like throwing that label around while in Japan they just view autistic behaviours as normal personality traits, not a disorder.

Even if she was autistic, what does it matter? Should she be thrown into an institution? Should she be looked down on with pity as some poor thing with a terrible disorder? Is she less human because of it?

She is not an autistic person, she's a person with autism. Person first language is important when talking about such things. She's a human, not a label.

At any rate she's highly functioning but needs some assistance. Assistance which she gets, and it's not like anyone is manipulating or taking advantage of her.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
Did I just get scolded?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:43 am Reply with quote
If I sounded that way, I wasn't addressing you specifically. There are people, here and other places, that are pretty vehement in insisting that she's autistic (the better part of the first pages of this thread is dedicated to the topic) like it's some super important detail and the sole feature of Mashiro's character.
Kushie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

People have forgotten that anime is just cartoons meant for entertainment? The shows do not have to be "politically correct" to whatever fabloid is going on in the century (back in 1950, it was "politically correct" for comic books to have females clothed to the eyeballs and super buffed steroid guys). A cartoon show can be as wild and crazy as it can be serious or sexy.

As for supposed sexism it's a little ridiculous, considering both anime and manga also cater to the Otome (aka female fangirl group). The characters in the shows are not real, and often live in exaggerated circumstances that would be very hard to impossible in the real world.

Not everyone has rigid black and white puritan views of what should and shouldn't be entertainment. But the one thing that remains about anime is that is a diversity that caters to different audiences of different ages.

Something that western-type cartoon shows often fail to have (often super-childish, or super-hero type) . Some take fictional entertainment a tad too seriously, and unfortunately these types are the ones who try to ruin entire shows or possibly productions based on dislikes.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
who cares? she's a total dependent. what she may or may not have to be that way is pretty meaningless.

her learning curve for basic life skills is so steep you'd need crampons and pick axes to climb it.

I'm not inclined to think either characters will actually teach her self reliance beyond the most rudimentary stuff.

the scene with the watermelon in the micro should be enough to get that its not just that she's not used to doing it herself. she needs to be watched. and whoever does it is effectively dealing with an infants likely choices to attain a goal.
Riddley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
The more I watch the more I like this show. I really think aoyama desires to be with the main more than shiina personally. That is a trope that bugs me to no end about anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 24