• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A-1 Pictures' Vividred Operation Anime's 1st Promo Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Jesus, was the taint shot at the beginning really neccessary? Ugh.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:
Yeah, that very first shot of the sun rising from a 14 year old girl's cameltoe was enough to tell me that this is not for me.

Normally, I'd be right there with you, PK, but given the good reviews I've read about Strike Witches (depending on your POV, that's either alongside or in spite of its rampant fanservice) I'm hesitant to toss this show before it even airs.

Plenty of T & A-laden anime have proven to have intriguing stories and, in short, be "deeper" than they first appear, so I'll do my best to keep an open mind.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:
Yeah, that very first shot of the sun rising from a 14 year old girl's cameltoe was enough to tell me that this is not for me.

Normally, I'd be right there with you, PK, but given the good reviews I've read about Strike Witches (depending on your POV, that's either alongside or in spite of its rampant fanservice) I'm hesitant to toss this show before it even airs.

Plenty of T & A-laden anime have proven to have intriguing stories and, in short, be "deeper" than they first appear, so I'll do my best to keep an open mind.

No, no, no - you're doing it wrong. You are supposed to make a snap decision based on a few shots that an entire series isn't worth even trying out due to that Mark of the Devil: fanservice. Geez, get with the program, mmmkay?

P.S. you get extra points if you loudly and ostentatiously denounce it (again, without actually watching any episodes - that's really the key).
PrettyKitty$$$$$

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:

I tried to watch Strike Witches, but it's particular brand of fanservice is too much for me. I found the "crotch cam" so distracting that I wasn't able to care about the story at all. So, based on that and what is prominently displayed in the promo-vid, I can confidently say I wouldn't enjoy this show.

My crystal ball sees the loli-brigade getting all defensive over this show though. The forums should be interesting.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:
My crystal ball sees the loli-brigade getting all defensive over this show though. The forums should be interesting.

I also see the brigade who think people should actually watch, say, five minutes of a show before dismissing it getting defensive, too.
PrettyKitty$$$$$

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
LOL Blood. I shouldn't have to explain this, but most people have limited time to consume entertainment, so must pick and choose. The only one getting passive aggressive here is you.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:
LOL Blood. I shouldn't have to explain this, but most people have limited time to consume entertainment, so must pick and choose. The only one getting passive aggressive here is you.

I don't think there is anything particularly passive about my aggression. Do you know what passive aggressive actually means? That would be like me saying your assumption that anyone who thinks dismissing a show without watching a frame must be part of the "loli-brigade" was an example of passive aggressive behaviour.

But just to clarify, I don't have a particular issue with people who decide not to check out a title for whatever reason. I'm more eye-rolly about people who decide a show is garbage without actually watching a bit of it.
PrettyKitty$$$$$

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I don't think there is anything particularly passive about my aggression.

Well no, not anymore. But seriously, you must have some sort of criteria that lets you determine what you will watch. It's just not possible to watch everything right? So, you start weeding things out by genre or certain themes you dislike. For me, if I overlook something that turns out to be great, I'll hear about it eventually via review or lots of positive buzz i.e. Madoka Magica. I just don't have the time to sample every show that ever existed, so I make a judgement call. That's what people do.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:

I understand that all to well but this is one of those fun shows I just want to watch for the hell of it. Is it wrong... that's up to your own point of view.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Once again:

"That show doesn't look like it will interest me, so I probably won't try it out" - Completely reasonable

"That show looks like shit and anyone who watches it is pedophile" - Not reasonable.
opn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Eh this doesn't look that interesting...but i'll at least give it a shot if its simulcasted.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:01 am Reply with quote
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I don't think there is anything particularly passive about my aggression.

Well no, not anymore. But seriously, you must have some sort of criteria that lets you determine what you will watch. It's just not possible to watch everything right? So, you start weeding things out by genre or certain themes you dislike. For me, if I overlook something that turns out to be great, I'll hear about it eventually via review or lots of positive buzz i.e. Madoka Magica. I just don't have the time to sample every show that ever existed, so I make a judgement call. That's what people do.

Not really. My own philosophy is to pretty much sample everything that isn't a) a sequel to a show I haven't seen yet; or b) obviously intended for very young kids. I am currently following (or trying to) 27 shows (that works out to a little over 10 hours of viewing a week or about 1 hour 25 minutes per day - I very rarely watch any kind of television, so I have the time), so you see I cast a wide net. But perhaps you missed my clarification? I understand people making quick decisions about not trying something (although I personally don't do that, which has thankfully resulted in my enjoying shows that I was initially prejudiced against for whatever reason), I have more of a problem with people dismissing a show as garbage without watching a bit of it. Fencedude actually summed up my own attitude quite well a few posts above this one.
punipuniwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote
First series of Strike Witches was good, second series was crap. I liked the first in that although there was lots of fanservice there was also an interesting plot with enough depth in the characters to keep me interested. Series 2 felt cliche and outright corny, like a shell of series 1.

This looks awful; I don't like the artstyle, the concept is far too close to Strike Witches with a few surface changes and the PV is more like an eroge PV. Not for the fanservice, but because they focus more on the character design than the story/setting/plot etc. which pretty much shows where the priorities of this show lies.

It makes me sad that writers would rather make anime to fill the shoes of a finished franchise rather than move onto something fresh and push the limits of their creativity.

PrettyKitty20034 wrote:

I'm a part of the 'loli-brigade' but it doesn't mean I'll watch any old crap. It has nothing to do with loli vs. no loli...it's just a matter of standards. I've watched enough anime to know this will be just like your typical 'fulfill the niche' copycat crap.

Last edited by punipuniwarrior on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote
punipuniwarrior wrote:
First series of Strike Witches was good, second series was crap. I liked the first in that although there was lots of fanservice there was also an interesting plot with enough depth in the characters to keep me interested. Series 2 felt cliche and outright corny, like a shell of series 1.

WTF. Season 2 was better than season 1 on every level, from art, to animation to story.

Quote:
This looks awful; I don't like the artstyle, the concept is far too close to Strike Witches with a few surface changes and the PV is more like an eroge PV. Not for the fanservice, but because they focus more on the character design than the story/setting/plot etc. which pretty much shows where the priorities of this show lies.

You realize that this is the "first" promo, right? And the first PV for most shows focus on the characters and other design aspects. There will be more PVs that will focus on the plot and other aspects.

Quote:
It makes me sad that writers would rather make anime to fill the shoes of a finished franchise rather than move onto something fresh and push the limits of their creativity.

[Mod Edit: Removed. Content was intended to insult and belittle the poster and added nothing to the discussion.]
punipuniwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote
PS, Series 1 was better than Series 2 because the delivery was better. Anyone can be given good designs, a good animation crew and plot but it doesn't mean the end result will be any better for it, it needs to be executed properly. Which SW2 wasn't, it was corny and downright cringeworthy at times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4