• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Howl's Moving Castle "Sequel"

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen it in 8 or 9 years... I remember it being pretty good, but Kiki's Delivery Service is one of my top three anime films and nothing else Ghibli quite compares.

I mainly mean Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away when I talk about my issues with Miyazaki's feature-length stuff since Kiki, not Porco, where it's just been too long for me to have a fair opinion of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
AnimeHeretic wrote:
(I'm especially worried with Nausicaa, since the summaries I read sound kind of lame compared to the manga).

Judging a movie before you even see it? I thought only Gatsu did that!

I was talking more along the line of the manga had a very deep story, while the movie seems to have cut out a good deal of what I thought made the manga good. I said I was *worried*, not already decided it sucked.
LightNightmare148

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I just hope Howl's Moving Castle is as good as Spirited Away was and doesn't dissapoint me.

I'm counting on you Miyazaki! Razz
Ranmah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Speaking as someone who has seen both. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:54 pm Reply with quote
AnimeHeretic wrote:
ShellBullet wrote:
AnimeHeretic wrote:
(I'm especially worried with Nausicaa, since the summaries I read sound kind of lame compared to the manga).

I was talking more along the line of the manga had a very deep story, while the movie seems to have cut out a good deal of what I thought made the manga good. I said I was *worried*, not already decided it sucked.

The Manga was just too long for a movie, he had to change it a bit to make a good movie. If he had tried to put everything in, it would have turned out a) unbelievably long or b) mind-blowingly rushed. Why people always expect a movie or series to be exactly like the Manga is beyond me. If the movie was exactly the same then why watch it at all; you would already know everything about it.
Twage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:17 am Reply with quote
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Castle in the Sky was only pretty good, Kiki was fun, and Cagliostro nullified some excellent adventure scenes with vomit-inducingly saccharine dialogue. On the other hand, Mononoke was a multifaceted film with three-dimensional characters, coherent plot structure, stunning action sequences and animation and complex themes. It was brilliant. Spirited Away was also very good if slightly overrated.

But this is all academic as ultimately I think Takahata is a more interesting director than Miyazaki anyway (and Miyazaki knows it, which is why he keeps throwing money at Takahata).
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:43 am Reply with quote
I disagree completely on Cagliostro's dialogue, and like Castle in the Sky more than Princess Mononoke, but Yamada-kun = Very Happy

God I want that movie to be released here. Now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:09 am Reply with quote
The starnge thing is when I saw the VHS sub version of Princess Mononoke or some of it, I thought it suck. But after rewatching the Disney version in English dub, it turn out really well. It had a lot of meanings to it in without being childish. Unlike most disney movies in which there's a set bad guy (who lose at the end) and good guy (who wins and get the beautiful girl), Mononoke made me realized that there arnt' no true bad guy or good guy to any story. Everyone has thier motive, thier reason, they're not just taking over the world for no reason.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:03 am Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
AnimeHeretic wrote:
ShellBullet wrote:
AnimeHeretic wrote:

The Manga was just too long for a movie, he had to change it a bit to make a good movie. If he had tried to put everything in, it would have turned out a) unbelievably long or b) mind-blowingly rushed. Why people always expect a movie or series to be exactly like the Manga is beyond me. If the movie was exactly the same then why watch it at all; you would already know everything about it.

Also, he wasn't even done with the manga at this point. He worked on that manga on and off for about 12 years before he finished it. And as for watching it if it was exactly the same: because seeing a film, with movement and voices, is an entirely different experience than reading a comic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2