• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Z Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
The best thing to happen to NA animation was the revival of WB's animation department. Their product can basically hold it's own against any anime. Unfortunately, there's just too few companies like them that can afford to produce quality animation. Of all the beat quality western animated shows, WB is probably producing 80% of them. The best Disney can do is to take material from foreign studios and release them here.

The real problem with NA animation right now is the excess of flash shows, followed by cheap CG. Samuri Jack was clever because it was one of the first shows to tell a story within the limitations of flash animation, and it did it well. However, now there's just a ton of cheap shows being pumped out and what little good material is produced is being stretched out so much that one 13 episode season can take a full year to air.

If NA was producing as much quality anime as Japan, anime would not be as popular here as it is.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
The only titles I can add to the list of pre-2000 release wishlist besides Sailor Moon are..

[EDIT: Listing titles without commentary or explanation is not allowed. Feel free to repost with elaboration. - Key]
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:01 am Reply with quote
Delete.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
MizzConcepcion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:41 am Reply with quote
okay, although 99% of the time I never take the flake of the week seriously... that's the first time I've heard anything about this AX09 illness theory...

I guess I'm interested because I got sick after AX also. Not just regular sick because of the general exhaustion of the expo, but I really got fever over 100F and was stuck in bed for a week or so before I went to the doctor and got some antibiotics. Could there really have been some spread of illness at the con? Was it the food or the general atmosphere?

I'm not talking about some serious epidemic like H1N1 or anything that the flake is talking about. Just sickness in general after the con is surprising to me since out of my friends who went, I was the only one who got sick. Hearing now that many more were also ill afterwards, one just has to wonder...
ShinNagumo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I keep meaning to answer a Question of the Week, but I end up forgetting. Ah well... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Concerning pre-2000 titles, I was a bit surprised Gundam Wing: Odd & Even Numbers didn't get a release here in the US. It probably would not have profited the company much, but a girl can dream, right? Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Redd the Sock

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Can I throw in Dr. Slump into the pre-2000 list? The manga had me in stitches for its whole 18 volumes and I desperately crave the animated version. Anime here needs more comedies that don't involve half naked high-school girls (not that I have anything against that), and how often does poop humor actually involve real poop. Just paste "from the creator of DBZ" on the box and you won't have to worry about sales fo a while.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5