• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids TV Replaces FoxBox

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I still miss '90s Fox mornings aka Foxkids....

So true. They had the best stuff then...

Erm, is this just a name change or will the block actually only show 4Kids stuff? Then again, does FoxBox SHOW anything aside from 4Kids stuff? I am quite confused.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quote
CaptainRisu wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
What reputation? They don't even have one.

they definatly have a reputaion.... a bad reputation Wink

I'm sure there's a lot of 5 to 13 year old that watches 4kids show, more than the hardcore. If you don't fall intil this catorogy, than I don't see a reason why you would hate them.

It's kind of like saying Johnson & Johnson is a bad company because they make shamploo for babies and children. On the other hand, lets all praise Head and Shoulder because they make shamploo for teens and adult. Basically, 4kids is targeted for kids so they get a bad rep of making anime for kids.
KawaiiKitty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:53 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Quote:
I still miss '90s Fox mornings aka Foxkids....

So true. They had the best stuff then...

Erm, is this just a name change or will the block actually only show 4Kids stuff? Then again, does FoxBox SHOW anything aside from 4Kids stuff? I am quite confused.

Yeah, I miss those FoxKids shows too. The good'ol digimon days Smile. I havn't flipped on FoxBox in awhile, but I think they do show some stuff aside from 4kids.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Manga
Blues of Hadal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:01 pm Reply with quote
they destroy any intergrity any show would have even if its a kids show they make it worse somehow(i know the shows they have weren't thought provoking masterpieces to begin with)
their good like that
i think everyone remembers them changing a kids show to something below that level
its rather condescending maybe even to children which i hate anyway
damn kids
but they are good at marketing themselves and the shows they acquire
OTP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:38 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
4kids is targeted for kids so they get a bad rep of making anime for kids.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think licensing anime for kids is why 4Kids gets a bad rep. It's probably more of the way they handle those anime.
BumWolf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
CaptainRisu wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
What reputation? They don't even have one.

they definatly have a reputaion.... a bad reputation Wink

Yes, because controlling one Saturday block, having a large piece of another, and constant reruns on a 3rd network is bad.

I hate to break out the Game Show references, but it looks like 4Kids is turning into the 21st century equivalent of the Mark Goodson Productions of the 70's-80's, with properties springing up everywhere.

Actually 4Kids reminds me of what DIC was like in the mid to late 80's. DIC's toons was all over Saturday Mornings and Weekday Afternoons back then. The downside 4kids is unoriginal and geared the shows to a lower IQ level. For as DIC toons were alot more entertaining and sometimes made you think. Plus they animated their own stuff although very cheaply, but hey look at some DBZ episodes from that era and you'll see animation errors there as well. (Yes I was a child of the 80's my age is showing LOL.)
-Bum Wolf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:57 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:

Anyway, I still don't understand why the foxbox was on upn.

That's as good a reason as any for the name change... to eliminate just such confusion.
wizard55

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:04 pm Reply with quote
OTP wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

I see what you're saying, but I don't think licensing anime for kids is why 4Kids gets a bad rep. It's probably more of the way they handle those anime.

thats it, The shows are edited because they are originally meant for a bit older audience and then theres that japanese views on things like swearing and violence, I don't understand why 4kids doesnt try to license anime that are for kids in japan? an example would be Hello Kitty, now this would not be a good show for their block i dont think but that show is completely harmless for kids and isnt there a show that 4kids has the license to that they have never aired and its for kids like "Tama..." or something? some anime about cats and its like CGI or something????
Anti-Mainstreamist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Heh, do you want to know why they don't want Japanese "kids" shows? They won't sell. They want a proven product(AKA: Something that did well in Japan) that willl sell in America with some cultural tweaking. The problem is, these shows get ruined in their "Cultural Tweaking" process. Luckily, 4Kids has started releasing Uncut, Dual-Language DVDs, and I respect that. Of course, it does not completely make up for what they did to One Piece, Shaman King and Yu-Gi-OH!. But really, they're moving up the ladder of respectability to the Hard Core Fan, in my opinion. Got a programming block named after them? Eh, Fox's children's programming was dead the momen the Box came along. And I was still young enough to appreciate Fox Kids. But I hated the Box.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote
wizard55 wrote:
OTP wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

thats it, The shows are edited because they are originally meant for a bit older audience and then theres that japanese views on things like swearing and violence, I don't understand why 4kids doesnt try to license anime that are for kids in japan? an example would be Hello Kitty, now this would not be a good show for their block i don't think but that show is completely harmless for kids and isnt there a show that 4kids has the license to that they have never aired and its for kids like "Tama..." or something? some anime about cats and its like CGI or something????

A good majority of shows they license are intended for children in Japan, it's just that in Japan, the shows have a slightly broader appeal and slight cultural differences. Anyway, if they weren't meant for a child audience, the licensors would not sell them TV rights.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:07 am Reply with quote
BumWolf wrote:
Actually 4Kids reminds me of what DIC was like in the mid to late 80's. DIC's toons was all over Saturday Mornings and Weekday Afternoons back then. The downside 4kids is unoriginal and geared the shows to a lower IQ level. For as DIC toons were alot more entertaining and sometimes made you think. Plus they animated their own stuff although very cheaply, but hey look at some DBZ episodes from that era and you'll see animation errors there as well. (Yes I was a child of the 80's my age is showing LOL.)
-Bum Wolf

I'll take you're word for it. Don't have any cognizance of the 80's, but I was raised on Inspector Gadget.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:21 am Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
Such as The Wonderful World of Dic right?

That's a little different. Being a syndicated block they need to use their name to get recognition, but with a stationary block like this really only the broadcaster's name is needed (like FoxKids, FoxBox, or Kids' WB).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
astra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:04 am Reply with quote
"...with Mew Mew Power scheduled to premiere sometime in 2005."

That's specific...

Back in the day, Dic made me giggle. Oh my.
CaptainRisu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:12 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
wizard55 wrote:
OTP wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

thats it, The shows are edited because they are originally meant for a bit older audience and then theres that japanese views on things like swearing and violence, I don't understand why 4kids doesnt try to license anime that are for kids in japan? an example would be Hello Kitty, now this would not be a good show for their block i don't think but that show is completely harmless for kids and isnt there a show that 4kids has the license to that they have never aired and its for kids like "Tama..." or something? some anime about cats and its like CGI or something????

A good majority of shows they license are intended for children in Japan, it's just that in Japan, the shows have a slightly broader appeal and slight cultural differences. Anyway, if they weren't meant for a child audience, the licensors would not sell them TV rights.

the way they edit things is so absurd though. pirates fight with swords, curse, and drink alchohol. if ur not prepared to deal with that, don't show the anime.

though i admit i have a fun time laughing my ass off as pirates drink orange juice and faint from cap guns in 4Kids version of one piece. i'm sorry, i'm just bitter about it. yes, 4Kids has alot going for them business and money wise, but the anime gets killed in the end.
Toboe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:38 am Reply with quote
Who even cares about this anyway? So they're changing the name of a children's television block. This has absolutely zero effect on anime fans, even the ones who cry about edits to their "oh so mature" shows like Yugioh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3