• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Henry Goto, President, Aniplex of America

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
Wow. Color me shocked that this thread is still going on. What's it been a week, 2? Well, whatevs. Still fun though Rolling Eyes

As long as there are people who refuse to pay standard Japanese prices, there will be giant debates like this.

I'm not really interested in joining what's already a long winded conversation, but to boil down the issue this thread presents to something that simplistic is dismissive and missing the point. With that I will bow out once more.
Mirri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So I guess Witchblade isn't anime because it was adapted from a US comic book? The recent anime versions of Ironman, Wolverine, Blade and X-men aren't anime, either, right? Rolling Eyes

Dragon Age, in addition to being produced by a Japanese anime production company had a Japanese director, Japanese character designer and a Japanese composer, BUT OH MY GOD, IT'S ADAPTED FROM A NON-JAPANESE SOURCE SO IT LACKS THE REQUISITE "ANIME PURITY QUOTIENT!"

Rolling Eyes

I'm out.

You can be "right" all you want.

You can be as mean as you want.

I'm done.

Last edited by Mirri on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
You will be missed.

Although, I admit that I can't discuss this topic without getting irritated. I don't begrudge anyone who likes AoA and approves of their business model. I'm not calling for any kind of boycott or encouraging anyone to do so. Hell, I have bought some of their products in the past and intend to do so in the future. I'm just not sure why I can't point out that I personally find their prices too high and hope that they withdraw from NA so that other companies at least have a chance at picking up their titles without being accused of being a spoiled whiner whose complaint has no legitimate basis.

Eh, such is life, I guess.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
im surprised you haven't rage quit by now Blood-
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
I like Aniplex's titles, and the prices are usually not as bad as most people say, but Bakemonogatari is still hurting. It was such a fantastic series, but I just cannot justify spending over $150 for a release that has nothing more than the series and a little booklet.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Although, I admit that I can't discuss this topic without getting irritated. I don't begrudge anyone who likes AoA and approves of their business model. I'm not calling for any kind of boycott or encouraging anyone to do so. Hell, I have bought some of their products in the past and intend to do so in the future. I'm just not sure why I can't point out that I personally find their prices too high and hope that they withdraw from NA so that other companies at least have a chance at picking up their titles without being accused of being a spoiled whiner whose complaint has no legitimate basis.

Not saying I share any particular sides' view, but to answer your last question, I think it's probably similar to how you bring up your dislike for AoA in every Aniplex topic. As long as you bring that view up, someone is going to bring up the whole "spoiled" argument.

To be honest I'm not quite sure why you feel the need to bring it up every time. (Just to be clear-- I'm not saying you should stop.) I'm sure AoA has read the forums and are aware of how you feel, and you know what AoA isn't going to change just because of what you say. Are you just looking for someone who can properly refute you?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:15 am Reply with quote
@ GokuMew2 - I actually don't bring it up every time. If you look at my first few posts in this thread back on page 1, you'll see I wasn't talking about AoA's price points. However, it's inevitable that someone starts talking about the price points and then some douche dismisses any complaint about AoA's prices as being whiny, spoiled, unjustified bitching and that's when I jump back into the fray.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:22 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
and then some douche dismisses any complaint about AoA's prices as being whiny, spoiled, unjustified bitching and that's when I jump back into the fray.

Only the ones that are, which are 90% or so of them.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:29 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
and then some douche dismisses any complaint about AoA's prices as being whiny, spoiled, unjustified bitching and that's when I jump back into the fray.

Only the ones that are, which are 90% or so of them.

I'm curious ... what in your mind, constitutes the 10% of AoA price complaints that aren't whiny, spoiled, unjustified bitching?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:31 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I'm curious ... what in your mind, constitutes the 10% of AoA price complaints that aren't whiny, spoiled, unjustified bitching?

Saying you think a product is too expensive, and thus won't purchase it, is a perfectly reasonable position to hold.

Going from there into an extended rant/conspiracy theory about the company in question isn't.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:07 am Reply with quote
Fair enough. It's a pity the conversation couldn't run something like this:

Pro-AoAer: I like AoA's titles and the sets they put out. I don't have a problem with their pricing and I wish them a long and prosperous existence as a NA distributor.

Anti-AoAer: I don't feel the same way, but I understand where you are coming from. I don't like some of AoA's pricing decisions and I believe that if they withdrew from NA, other distributors would pick up titles that would have gone to them and distribute them more cheaply.

Pro-AoAer: I don't feel the same way, but I understand where you are coming from.

The End.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:37 am Reply with quote
@Blood-

Looks like you're happy with winning the argument. I'm not going to waste my "breath" either.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:46 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
@Blood-

Looks like you're happy with winning the argument. I'm not going to waste my "breath" either.

A wise decision on your part since you had absolutely nothing intelligent or relevant to add to the conversation. Buh-bye.

Last edited by Blood- on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:53 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ GokuMew2 - I actually don't bring it up every time. If you look at my first few posts in this thread back on page 1, you'll see I wasn't talking about AoA's price points. However, it's inevitable that someone starts talking about the price points and then some douche dismisses any complaint about AoA's prices as being whiny, spoiled, unjustified bitching and that's when I jump back into the fray.

Ahh. The discussion was already like 15 pages long by the time I started reading so I didn't catch that-- sorry.

This is just a vicious cycle. Just agree to disagree and move along.

Personally I feel AoA's prices are high when compared to other companies' releases, but I don't find them outrageous, and their prices dont stop me from buying if they release a series I like. I work so I don't feel the price is a barrier against owning a release. Would I like the price to be lower? Sure! Who doesn't like a good deal? But the buyers aren't the ones dictating the price here and I'm sure there's a lot of things going behind the scenes that we don't know so *shrug*. It's not like another company can license the same series. You can put your money on the table, or you can choose to walk away and no one's really telling you to go one way or the other.

I've been importing Japanese DVDs (not necessarily all anime DVDs) for close to 10 years now so I guess I'm used to Japanese pricing. I regularly slap down $70+ for a seiyuu event DVD without a second thought. It's not that I'm rolling in cash, but these are the things I like and want to own. It's not like the price is going to go down on them so I pay the asking price.

Ha, just crossed my mind... What's the reason behind seiyuu event DVDs being the same price as anime DVDs? I'm sure they've more than made up the cost of holding the event via tickets and event merchandise sales. Curious.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:02 am Reply with quote
I would pay big moneys to attend a Rie Kugimiya event.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 28