• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Right Stuffed!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:33 am Reply with quote
Looking at a well done art box is pure eye sex. Looking at paper boxes or liteboxes is like having eye impudence.

What I meant by sexy was that when I look at my shelf, all my tins, chipboards and other special boxes(school rumble locker) just make the liteboxes look so ugly. I also HATE the idea of having a full series in one little tiny case. It's just the collector in me; I like big, pretty things next to my other big, pretty things. I also didn't know chipboards were that much more. I guess I'll let that issue slide, but not after I shed a farewell tear Crying or Very sad

Also, thank you Shawne for realizing value has to be added to your releases. I think that's where the whole "glorified fansubs" thing comes from. When other companies release a sub show that's nothing more than a rush to get it out there, two discs and all packed into a single case (with no reverse) it's no wonder people bitch about them. But you, on the other hand, know that added value has to be there. That's why you're the only company I'll willingly buy sub only sets from. It's just a great presentation and I hope you can keep doing chipboards; that's your hook for this big time dub fan. I think PetrifiedJello will be very pleased to listen to that part.

NO STACKPAKS AND NO OVERLAPPING DISCS. The end.

I LIVE in the bargain bin, I wait for shows to have a complete collection come out so I can get the singles + box for the cheap, I wait for VC collections or other rereleases so I can get the original on the cheap, I don't buy anything unless it's on sale, I am a cheapo when it comes to anime Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:21 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Looking at a well done art box is pure eye sex. Looking at paper boxes or liteboxes is like having eye impudence.

What I meant by sexy was that when I look at my shelf, all my tins, chipboards and other special boxes(school rumble locker) just make the liteboxes look so ugly. I also HATE the idea of having a full series in one little tiny case. It's just the collector in me; I like big, pretty things next to my other big, pretty things. I also didn't know chipboards were that much more. I guess I'll let that issue slide, but not after I shed a farewell tear Crying or Very sad

I disagree with the liteboxes not looking great, but I am not going to get into that argument. I'm not huge on things like that, but what I am anal about is the extras. If a release doesn't have extras I usually won't purchase it. This is why I never cared for ADV's think packs. I am also anal about what physical media comes with the items. This is especially crazy for me when I buy used Video games. If it does come with the original or near original case, the original cover, the original manual and any artwork that may come I will purchase it, if it doesn't I won't drop the money on it.

The King of Harts wrote:
Also, thank you Shawne for realizing value has to be added to your releases. I think that's where the whole "glorified fansubs" thing comes from. When other companies release a sub show that's nothing more than a rush to get it out there, two discs and all packed into a single case (with no reverse) it's no wonder people bitch about them. But you, on the other hand, know that added value has to be there. That's why you're the only company I'll willingly buy sub only sets from. It's just a great presentation and I hope you can keep doing chipboards; that's your hook for this big time dub fan. I think PetrifiedJello will be very pleased to listen to that part.

NO STACKPAKS AND NO OVERLAPPING DISCS. The end.[/quote]

I think any company that release sub only is fine, regardless of who does it. If it really was just a "glorified fansub" then we would see fansubs just put on DVD and released that way. I'm right in the middle of the dub/sub problem, if something has a dub that is fine, if it does not, then that is fine as well. Sure there are some shows that I would have liked to seen get dubs like Clannad for example, but I'm just as happy as sub only releases.

I don't have a problem with stackpacks or overlapping discs, but then again I'm not anal about packing like that.

The King of Harts wrote:

I LIVE in the bargain bin, I wait for shows to have a complete collection come out so I can get the singles + box for the cheap, I wait for VC collections or other rereleases so I can get the original on the cheap, I don't buy anything unless it's on sale, I am a cheapo when it comes to anime Very Happy

I like the BB as well, but I don't go nuts with it. I usually go either for Shawneck's Amazon site for some things or wait for sales from certain publishers before I make some purchases.

Last edited by asimpson2006 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:00 am Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
Last week was my first ANNCast due to Geneon. This week was obviously not quite as revelatory, but still an interesting listen--I don't even want to know how much money I've spent at RightStuf in the past year and a half.

With all the fervor over sub-only releases, I've been curious as to why a handful of Nozomi's titles are DUB only? I would have purchased Kimba The White Lion long ago if it was a hybrid or sub release.

This show, as released in the 1960s, was heavily edited, and the Japanese and English tracks would not line up. We would have needed to include the full episodes both way, and honestly, the market for these titles is more the nostalgia market, looking for the program they watched in their youth, rather than the core anime market.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
There's no convincing the Lunatic Dub Fringe Rolling Eyes, I guess they need a Congressional hearing where Nozomi, Sxtion 23 and Bandai will have to come with feasability studies and reseach by noted economic experts so we can convince these people that we are no longer in the Golden Age and unless a title is a sure seller, there's no guarantee that a dub will make a title sell enough units to cover it high costs and make a profit, I think Chad Kine and the Dark Lord Kleckner (as if this won't give out my origins as an AoDer) have brought enough evidence on the matter, although I would wish for Shawne to license more action oriented stuff (The only recent RightStuf titles I'm picking up are from Critical Mass) or even mecha(and yes Zac and Justin, I'm one of those 5 people that buy Go Nagai stuff, He Rules! also I love Demon Soldier M.D. Geist) Wink

Last edited by Vicserr on Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:09 am Reply with quote
Another good podcast. Shawne reminds me of some of the best executives I've worked with. Strictly practical in terms of basing decisions on numbers, which ensures survival and growth of the business. At the same time, engaged with his customers and his market, and knowing that adding value--giving the customer more than expected both in releases and retail service--is what wins loyalty. I'm a fanatical bargain hunter, but I will pay a bit more to Rightstuf because of the quality of service. I bought a lot this year, and 80% of my anime spend went to TRSI.

Also, Nozomi's release packages are hands down the best today, assuming Bandai can no longer afford its packaging (my assumption after Lucky Star's cancelled Vol. 6 LE).

But before I forget, QFT:

The King of Harts wrote:
NO STACKPAKS AND NO OVERLAPPING DISCS. The end.
I draw the line on those and save my fansubs, period (absolutely for the stackpaks, overlays a bit less). I can't imagine it's worth pissing off a number of customers just to save the 10 cents. That's assuming 5 cents difference on the case plus estimating another 5 for assembly. My price difference between hinged cases and stackpaks, only buying 10 at a time at retail, is 10 cents, so I think 5 cents difference is a fair estimate for TRSI costs. This is not a trivial point for me as a collector who pines for the big chipboard boxes, but has to now be satisfied with thinpaks. At least don't go to the lowest crappy level on those.

Anywayyyy....

Interesting to get confirmation on the Blu-ray sales. There have been anecdotal rumblings that it could be an overall failure and even turn out to be an interrim format with 100+ GB discs already in production. I've seen the prices tumble drastically, with BD's selling at or below DVD prices much quicker than expected. I doubt there is enough improvement to justify most anime on BD.

I don't care as long as the encoding of DVDs is thoroughly tested on HD equipment to ensure good upscaling with an average BD player. Particularly the titles where 6 or 7 episodes are stuffed onto one DVD, some of my DVDs are virtually unwatchable on HD, and I've gone back to fansubs for re-watches.

Glad someone in the business is willing to talk about the Japanese factor as well. It's hard to believe that people will refuse to acknowledge reality and change their ways, but I guess it's a bit too soon to expect complete acceptance of the new marketplace. I do hope they "get it" soon, though, or the market for R1 DVDs could tip into a genuine death spiral. Actually, I think the Japanese market itself has to change before it completely changes here. Some companies there, Kadokawa for one, have said the otaku model has run its course and a new model must be found for the anime industry to continue at anywhere close to its current level. Something has to be done to eliminate the reverse importation fears, which seem to be the primary issue.
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:02 am Reply with quote
I'm in the "I won't buy anything but dubbed" side of the equation-I realize that the sell through market has to be there to justify the cost of a dub-I will get subbed only releases in some cases but mostly not. Take Aria for example-I adore the series-but not enough to spend boku amount of money for subbed only releases. Fansubs are good enough for me in this case. I need an incentive to buy buy R1 anime dvds-and that incentive is a dub. Mostly now days I'm buying older releases that are dubbed-when (and if) the situation improves I'll resume my R1 buying. I think I buy 96% of my anime from Rightstuf-BUT I've never purchased anything that wasn't on sale or in the bargain bin. Nuff' saiid.

Last edited by zrdb on Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:12 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:

I'm not soapboxing here. You just think I am. I'm simply speaking the truth as I see it, junior.

whoa you're totally blowing my mind, I never thought about it that way

enjoy your ban

Crap, I've been dreading this day: reading a Zac post that made me sit up and cheer. I feel so...violated. Anyway, I'm dying for the work day to be over so I can listen to the podcast. With the Geneon thing last week and RightStuf this week, it's a powerful one-two punch of "inside the biz" info that I can't get enough of. The only thing that could make me happier would be if Justin and Zac had Monica Rial as a guest...
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:28 am Reply with quote
The only thing I blind buy anymore are Nozomi releases. I have not been disappointed yet.

The best box set release of the year, with all things considered is The Third. The chipboard box, clear disc cases with reversable covers, and pencil boards. Add in that the show is pretty good, and I can not think of another set that would compete with it this past year. Note I am talking about a box set purchase, not an artbox and singles.

Just noticed a date has been set for Aria the Origination + OVA over at Right Stuf. My days has been officially made.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote
Stamping out the loli fires:
I can see why certain elements in the forums get tiring to see repeated over and over without resolution, but as a reader of reviews and columns here, I would like to respectfully request the editors here also take part by disallowing material to be injected into these reviews to help quell the debate.

I'd like to show examples, but this would seem I'm targeting authors and I don't want to do this. I fully understand people are going to be upset over loli, but it sure doesn't help when the staff of ANN throw in the burning torch with "opinions" which bear no significance to the review at hand.

It would be greatly appreciated if this exercise in editorial judgment is used as well as fans as to not bring it up if such exercise is taken.

Geneon podcast turnout - a record?
It shouldn't have come as a surprise the turnout for the Geneon podcast was massive. It's extremely rare us fans get information directly from those in the anime industry, so every word they state is going to be treasured.

This helps remove the speculations tossed around so many of us carry simply because most don't talk about it. Chad's insight to Geneon's failure went far from the reasons and gave us incredible insight on the distribution issues they (and others) go through.

I can't stress enough how awesome it is for ANN to have guests like this on and I'm sure we'll all be listening as those who want to come do so. Gen, if you're reading, come on over. Let's here what FUNimation has to say!

Shawne, I love you.
Thank you for taking the time to appear and address the fans. It was really nice to hear the position of someone who is both a retailer and distributor.

It's a shame the industry has put Nozomi into a position to which it has to alienate fans by producing sub-only titles and moreso when those fans object. I'm glad you aren't easily discouraged by these negative aspects, because behind the scenes are some very helpful fans as well.

I'm very, very thankful Nozomi took a chance with Aria and even more so by allowing AnimeNetwork to show it on their OnDemand service. Without this, I would have never discovered Aria on my own and certainly wouldn't have a lithograph of the series hanging in my room (why didn't I get #1??? Razz).

As a retailer, TRSI is the only place I shop for anime now. I see no reason to spend $50 for a series TRSI offers at $25 + 10% off thanks to the added fan bonus of its club membership. It's rare to see retailers go this far and it was nice to hear the store is doing well.

I know you said you can't really take the time to address tons of questions, but hopefully you don't mind me asking a few here. I thought about asking via the contact form of Right Stuf!, but felt fans may want to know the answers as well. If you can't answer, no worries. No harm in asking, right?

-How well did the Aria lithographs sell?

-The bargin bin has many series missing volumes. Given the original buyout of the hundreds from retailers failing to sell them originally, is the chance near impossible these missing volumes would be stocked?

-Will Nozomi license Shakugan no Shana II and Familiar of Zero 2 & 3 since no one seems to be? Please?

-How does the PVC figures get added to inventory? I see so many DBZ figures in the sale bins but rarely anything else. Why does it take so long for a (non-DBZ) figure go on sale?

Well, that's it for now. I know you're busy filling my order. Wink
Again, thanks for taking the time to talk to all of us. Here's to hoping Right Stuf! has a great holiday so 2010 is just as good to us as it has been.

Finally, to the ANN staff, is there a way we can get a day or two notice on who will be the upcoming guest? I'd love to be able to pose questions before hand given the podcast scheduling doesn't make it easy for me (and others) to ask during its recording.

Thanks again for another great podcast. See you next week!
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
So I didn't pick up the Eva movie because I was waiting for a Blu-Ray release, but after hearing this, is it a hopeless mistake to wait? Should I just pick up the DVD and be happy?
TheTheory

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:
TheTheory wrote:
Last week was my first ANNCast due to Geneon. This week was obviously not quite as revelatory, but still an interesting listen--I don't even want to know how much money I've spent at RightStuf in the past year and a half.

With all the fervor over sub-only releases, I've been curious as to why a handful of Nozomi's titles are DUB only? I would have purchased Kimba The White Lion long ago if it was a hybrid or sub release.

This show, as released in the 1960s, was heavily edited, and the Japanese and English tracks would not line up. We would have needed to include the full episodes both way, and honestly, the market for these titles is more the nostalgia market, looking for the program they watched in their youth, rather than the core anime market.

Fair enough. Thanks for the succinct response, Shawne. My order has been placed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

-Will Nozomi license Shakugan no Shana II and Familiar of Zero 2 & 3 since no one seems to be? Please?

Uhhh, I believe that more has to Geneon Japan titles not being available for licensing ever since that whole Geneon/Universal Pictures merger that's went on in Japan. That's probably the reason we haven't heard anything about Hellsing Ultimate or the rest of Higurashi as well.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
That's probably the reason we haven't heard anything about...

Maybe so, but in this business, money talks and excuses are for the stupid.
I'm not expecting Nozomi to go bankrupt to get them, obviously, but if there's a remote chance because others gave up in trying, one never knows.

I don't know who said it, but the best quote I've ever read was "No one screws up anime better than the Japanese."

Maybe a bit unfair, as the true screwing up falls to licensing and its idiotic cost tiers.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote
OnanRulz wrote:
So I didn't pick up the Eva movie because I was waiting for a Blu-Ray release, but after hearing this, is it a hopeless mistake to wait? Should I just pick up the DVD and be happy?

Unless I'm mistaken, Funimation is supposed to be releasing the Blu-ray of Eva 1.01 in the Spring. God, it's going to be a long wait.
rabrek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
License suggestions (nice short shows, finished, unique): Mononoke

Seconded! Mononoke is only 12 eps, and I've pretty much given up on seeing it hit DVD. While I coveted the limited edition set released last spring in Japan, a modest, sub-only domestic release would scratch the itch nicely. Bonus points for a release containing the Bakeneko story from Ayakashi, like the LE set did. (I have the Ayakashi DVDs, but it'd be sweet to have all of Mononoke in one release.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13