• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Cosmo Police JUSTY

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vision1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! You dragged out a scarce one with this.
I discovered this title in the encyclopedia a few months ago, and wrote it down on a list of obscuro 80s fare I wanted to hunt around for. The title showed only as plain "Justy" I think, so searching for this word with the typical internet surf board wasn't working, and I figured the little picture in the 'pedia of a BLUE haired guy and RED haired girl looked shabby enough that I wasn't really interested and abandoned my search. I think now I'll pick it up again despite how much I despise MOE.

It does sound like knowledge of the manga is essential, or at least the film's makers seem to have intended it that way. My only complaint is you're faulting the directors and writers for making something for their own decade, I can't figure out for the life of me how they could have helped it. It was 1985, and I don't know how they are supposed to realize how cool 2009 is, since it's 24 years into the future! Did the people who made the movie Avatar not realize how people are so going to trash it to death in 2033?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote
This title seems interesting, but its gonna be hard to track down. Confused
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Great article! If I recall correctly the three Viz launch titles were Area 88, Mai, and Kamui. I believe Xenon followed shortly. I can't remember what was released next, but I think it was Grey.
Prede

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Ah this is an odd one for you Justin. But nice review. Seems like an interesting movie, a nice "what could have been". They probally had a great idea, but sadly the money was not there. Which happens way too much, sadly Sad . Oh and I LOVE 80's music (especially the cheesey stuff), if it's being covered by Japanese pop artists or not. And so I LOVED that video you posted lol! Amazing! It reminds me of the 80's club music from the first Terminator movie or something (I guess the fact the original song sounds a lot like that helps though lol). So retro, yet so amazing. And just corny enough to be able to make fun of it, yet still enjoy it Razz .

Also I'll let it be known that this column is something I really look forward to. Everytime I see a new review for burried treasure it puts a smile on my face. Bought more then a handfull of titles based on reviews here, and have yet to be disapointed. Smile

Last edited by Prede on Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:25 am Reply with quote
vision1 wrote:
My only complaint is you're faulting the directors and writers for making something for their own decade, I can't figure out for the life of me how they could have helped it. It was 1985, and I don't know how they are supposed to realize how cool 2009 is, since it's 24 years into the future! Did the people who made the movie Avatar not realize how people are so going to trash it to death in 2033?

Well, they can't of course. But there are plenty of timeless classics of cinema and anime made in the 80s, so something aging poorly is certainly a fair criticism. In particular the most poorly aged 80s stuff tends to have reveled in fashions and the over-theatricality of the early MTV movement. Like anything else that's too fashionable, it gets dated real quick.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
vision1 wrote:
My only complaint is you're faulting the directors and writers for making something for their own decade, I can't figure out for the life of me how they could have helped it. It was 1985, and I don't know how they are supposed to realize how cool 2009 is, since it's 24 years into the future! Did the people who made the movie Avatar not realize how people are so going to trash it to death in 2033?

Well, they can't of course. But there are plenty of timeless classics of cinema and anime made in the 80s, so something aging poorly is certainly a fair criticism. In particular the most poorly aged 80s stuff tends to have reveled in fashions and the over-theatricality of the early MTV movement. Like anything else that's too fashionable, it gets dated real quick.

Sorry Justin, but I have to post this.
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:43 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:

<falsetto> Spin around Ninjas!!!
vision1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In particular the most poorly aged 80s stuff tends to have reveled in fashions and the over-theatricality...

Yes a fair criticism, but a very subjective one. I enjoyed your review but I disagree generally with the opinion that a show being particularly period-fashionable makes it good or bad. Hair styles, clothing styles, even jokes and catch-phrases all change over time.. but whether they help or hurt the film is entirely within the viewer's opinion. For example, I have a strong love of an particular 80s anime called Bubblegum Crisis, precisely because I enjoy how strongly influenced it is by the styles and music of the decade. Obviously it has much more on offer, but for today's twenty-something viewer, they won't like these films for the same reason- it's "cheezy". The 80s are "cheese" to most of them because they just don't think anything was cool back then, they weren't alive and can't relate to it.
I cringe when I think about how badly a lot of the present day's anime is going to age- because aside from making a very fetishized fashion statement, there's nothing special. But many of today's fans are going to look back to today and really miss it, because it was theirs.
(Disclaimer- my opinion of "present day" anime being totally biased and unfair and subjective I know!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Great article! If I recall correctly the three Viz launch titles were Area 88, Mai, and Kamui. I believe Xenon followed shortly. I can't remember what was released next, but I think it was Grey.

I believe your right, I remember when Viz had launched their books in 1987. I remember seeing Area 88 ,Mai, and Kamui at the comic book shop.

I bought Mai The Psychic girl and Grey in Graphic novel form complete a few years later after their regular comic format run.
They made for some good reading on good old boring days with nothing to do.

I read about Cosmo Police Justy, but never got around to watch it.
I might one day.

Razz Twisted Evil Razz
Proman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I have only one thing to say. While I really like the idea of J-Pop Jim Steinman covers this one could have used a little more bombast.
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Just finished the ep, thought it was pretty badass! I think it would be awesome for a studio like Sunrise to do a modern version of this and do it as a whole show. I think it could be huge in today's scene.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
So this kind of worked out like Five Star Stories did?
rag

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed greatly the Justy OVA, it's was a cheesy 80s sci fi OVA but a great one at that. I felt it was too short unfortunately.

Definitely a Buried Treasure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2