• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - manga.exe

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I genuinely did not know it was a troll sub. I'm certainly not surprised, but I didn't actually know. Calling me a moron for not knowing is grossly unfair. How would I have known? The group is a giveaway - gg are famous for troll subs. But how would I have known whom the group was, hmm? I've seen the picture scattered across the net and on Google Image Search, but nothing I read ever said who the group was, so I couldn't make the connection. Besides, I've read subtitles so bad that they were on the level of machine translations, or worse, so a group being overly literal is quite plausible in comparison.

Considering that you were attempting to use that image as evidence for your argument, it would have behooved you to actually investigate its origin.

Basically every image like this is either outright trolling ("Keikaku means plan") or just incompetent translation ("Mass Naked Child Events"), and continuing to use that, as an assertion of a slippery sloap fallacy, after I specifically asked you to address the points I was making, is incredibly irritating.

As for screaming at you, its about the only goddamn way to get through to you.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Considering that you were attempting to use that image as evidence for your argument, it would have behooved you to actually investigate its origin.

LOL, no. As I've already pointed out the fact that it is a troll sub means nothing; it still gets my point across.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Basically every image like this is either outright trolling ("Keikaku means plan") or just incompetent translation ("Mass Naked Child Events"), and continuing to use that, as an assertion of a slippery sloap fallacy, after I specifically asked you to address the points I was making, is incredibly irritating.

You're misapplying the fallacy.

I wasn't saying that one event will spiral to another, just that even people who would have been happy with honorifics and basic phrases would not want that many Japanese words in their translation, and therefore fansubbers should not make assumptions. Yeah this particular picture has turned out to be a troll sub, but my general point still applies.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
As for screaming at you, its about the only goddamn way to get through to you.

That's funny; I can hear you just fine, but you don't seem to be able to hear me. I've repeatedly addressed the same points over and over (and now over again) and you're still harping on about them, as if you didn't get the first three memos. Maybe if you stopped shouting you could hear what I'm saying.

It was one picture; we dealt with it, let's move on.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
mass naked child events?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I wasn't saying that one event will spiral to another, just that even people who would have been happy with honorifics and basic phrases would not want that many Japanese words in their translation, and therefore fansubbers should not make assumptions. Yeah this particular picture has turned out to be a troll sub, but my general point still applies.

Ok, so instead of a fallacy, you are making a completely irrelevant point. I guess thats...better?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
mass naked child events?

Mass Naked Child Events!

Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Fencedude5609, if you'd read my post you'd notice that I used the screenshot to make the point that many people wouldn't be happy with it, and therefore no fansubber should assume they know what their audience wants.

IT WAS A TROLL SUB YOU [insults removed].

GG RELEASED THAT AS A WAY TO RILE PEOPLE UP BECAUSE ITS STUPID.

Also, slippery slope fallacy.

[Mod Edit: Want to know this cool little secret? You can actually talk to people without treating them like dirt, yelling insults at them, and acting like a child. I know it's hard to believe, but yes, there's this thing called being civil that you might want to try sometime. If you need some incentive how about this; I'm just going to start removing your entire posts when you behave this way until you learn to start acting like a civilized human being. - Keonyn]

Further, if I see even one more outburst like this from you you're out of here for a good long time.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
getchman wrote:
mass naked child events?

Mass Naked Child Events!

that's hilarious.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I think two largely similar but slightly different sub tracks would be a good idea. The second track (whether it be the more natural English track or the one with the honorifics) would basically be a considered an on-disc extra. Having both would cater to fans old and new.

Yes, the subtitles with honorifics are the extra feature ~ the version without honorifics plays unless you switch subtitle track, and the comic "Don't Tell" extras only have the standard subtitle.

RyanSaotome wrote:
So basically what it comes down to is that some people want their foreign media to NOT be foreign media. They want it as Americanized as possible to completely gut the original material. "Hey, who cares about making character relationships seem accurate? If it ain't American its SHIT!"

Though plenty of fans of K-drama and Chinese movies seem to make do with subtitles without the use of Korean or Chinese honorifics.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I feel like this fence-person is the most interesting thing that has happened to these forums. I love reading his posts, it's like watching a soap opera in forum form.

I hope he doesn't get perma-banned someday, could happen though unfortunately. I'm one of his biggest fans. I love seeing his outrageous outbursts. Me thinks he must have some sort of disorder where he thinks life is an RPG and he's the protagonist and everyone else is NPCs. I think I remember hearing about something like that, anyone know what the name of it is? I forget.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Most honorifics should be left, with fansub-like notes only after the first time they're used in a given series. For example, if, in a quick exchange, Ayumi runs into her teacher at a shotengai (outdoors shopping center, distinct from anything in the West), and says "Hi, Yamaguchi-sensei, and he replies "Hi, Ayumi-kun". The use of these honorifics marks a direct, personal teacher/student relationship that don't have English equivalents, and would sound extremely silly attempting to transfer that meaning through localization (i.e. "Hi, Mr. Yamaguchi, my personal teacher". "Hi, young Ayumi, my personal student"). The term "sensei" is applied to teachers, doctors, and martial arts trainers, alike. In addition, the term "-kun" is mostly applied to young males, but when applied to females, implies junior status in a company setting, or student of a male teacher.

Another example is the practice of attaching a person's profession to his name, as an honorific. Surely, in English, we never hear "I wanna be like Mike-basketball player". This is a common linguistic practice in Japanese. You can't just ignore these. For isn't the purpose of a translation to deliver the very same meaning, if possible, from the source to the target language?

But, at the same time, creating a separate track for another sub is just a waste of space. Plus, let's be honest, most people that actually contribute to this nerdy niche medium of Japanese cartoons are knowledgeable of terms like "ni-san" or "-sama". There's no need to really rack your brain, as a translator, when working on the like 95% of series that are licensed and won't find their ways to TV.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
For example, if, in a quick exchange, Ayumi runs into her teacher at a shotengai (outdoors shopping center, distinct from anything in the West), and says "Hi, Yamaguchi-sensei, and he replies "Hi, Ayumi-kun". The use of these honorifics marks a direct, personal teacher/student relationship that don't have English equivalents, and would sound extremely silly attempting to transfer that meaning through localization (i.e. "Hi, Mr. Yamaguchi, my personal teacher". "Hi, young Ayumi, my personal student").

That's fine, since you're talking about an exchange that occurs between Japanese people in a Japanese environment. If you were talking about *non*-Japanese people meeting in a non-Japanese environment, would you still expect them to address one aother that way? Probably not.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

That's fine, since you're talking about an exchange that occurs between Japanese people in a Japanese environment. If you were talking about *non*-Japanese people meeting in a non-Japanese environment, would you still expect them to address one aother that way? Probably not.

That sorta depends. A lot of ostensibly "non Japanese" characters in anime end up acting pretty Japanese.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I would argue that, in the examples I provided, it actually doesn't depend on what the setting is, or the race of the characters. The intelligibility of relations within the terms are not dependent upon purely Japanese individuals involved, rather, the relations they bear transcend culture and ethnicity. They're their to reveal the relationships to the Japanese viewers. If their use is present in the original Japanese audio, you still (as a translator) possess the responsibility of transferring that meaning and making sure those relations are known to the English audience, just as they were known to the Japanese.

Last edited by 504NOSON2 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
But it doesn't make logical sense to leave them in Japanese if the characters are not actually speaking Japanese.

Take, for example, Rose of Versailles. It would majorly take me out of the story if something was translated as Oscar-sama because the characters are in "reality" going to be speaking French. This is definitely a case where you either find a way to translate it or you just lose it in order to maintain the language illusion.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
But it doesn't make logical sense to leave them in Japanese if the characters are not actually speaking Japanese.

Take, for example, Rose of Versailles. It would majorly take me out of the story if something was translated as Oscar-sama because the characters are in "reality" going to be speaking French. This is definitely a case where you either find a way to translate it or you just lose it in order to maintain the language illusion.

Of course, in this example, you have "french" characters written by a Japanese author for a Japanese audience which is then translated into English.

Some shows/mangas/novels/whatever manage to capture the culture they take place in decently well (Baccano! for example does not feel particularly Japanese) while others...not so much (basically everyone in Kaledio Star, for example). I haven't watched/read Rose of Versailles, so I don't know how "Japanese" these 18th century french people come across as.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 11