• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Kiki's Delivery Service from Disney

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
molloaggie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I think this is really good news! I hope that it does well enough that it goes on tour. My kids would love to see.

I hope that people don't get all weird and angry because it's not exactly the same as the movie. Some fan's obsession with the idea that what they like is the perfect one is too much!

This is a very unique turn for the Miyazaki films because it means Disney is using them to reach directly to the family market. All the other releases were mainly seen by anime fans. This program may have a completely new fan base.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I guess they weren't satisfied with bastardizing Narnia and Hitchhiker's Guide.

Don't complain about movies you havn't even seen yet. I saw a behind the scenes thing for Narnia, and it looks to be coming along very well.

Disney's done some real live-action crap lately, but then again, they also made the Pirates of the Carribean, which was a very good film. This also shows that they're becoming more accepting to Asian culture. It's the director and producer that make or break the film, not the company that funds it. Though I unfortunatley never go to see it, I heard that Altar boys was a good film. So give them a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
herbkir

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Myazaki's Kiki made us believe in a world where magic/ witchcraft and science/technology were seen as equally valid ways of approaching problems. I think a live-action movie will have to capture that essence if it is to engage its audience. (^_*)
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote
This could work, unlike all the crazy superpowered anime cliches that fall flat on their ass when done live action. Plus, as everyone knows, Disney holds Miyazaki and Ghibli in VERY high regard, and Miyazaki wont let them bastardize his work in any way. So I think this will work out just fine.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, unlike live-action Evangelion and live-action Dragonball Z, this one actually stands a good chance of getting out of development hell.

Even though the animated version is by far my favourite Miyazaki film, I'm looking forward to it, as long as it's a different take on the same source material and not just a shot-for-shot "remake". If it sucks, the original won't disappear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
imaramman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Hi no Neko wrote:
Live action Kiki? Hooray! My only question is what will they do with Jiji? Will it be a real cat, animatronic, or CGI? If it's not a live cat, I certainly hope they keep him looking more or less real. Nothing can mess up a decent movie worse than a theme park mascot looking character.

The first thing that came to my mind is Salem from "Sabrina The Teenage Witch" show. When I was younger I remember watching that show on occasion because I thought Salem was so funny. I know some people would scream sacrilege, but I think using Salem (or his voice) in the film would be kinda cool. He sounds maybe a little similar to the late Phil Hartman, who did the English dub of the Miyazaki film. I just hope they don't go with CGI, unless it is sort of like what they used in the Cats & Dogs movie (a blend of real animals with CGI mouths). Although I might actually prefer not seeing their mouths move at all rather than obvious-looking animated mouths.

They could always do worse I suppose. Anyone see any bits of the Sailor Moon Live Action show (Luna)? Hehehe...
Effect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:07 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
This could work, unlike all the crazy superpowered anime cliches that fall flat on their ass when done live action. Plus, as everyone knows, Disney holds Miyazaki and Ghibli in VERY high regard, and Miyazaki wont let them bastardize his work in any way. So I think this will work out just fine.

Once again this has nothing to do with Miyazaki's film. The live action version isn't being based on it or being adapted. They are going to the original source of the story, the actual novels. Miyazaki's film was adapted from the novels. Disney is doing the same thing basicly, adapting their live action version for the actual novels. Not the anime. So this really has nothing to do with holding Miyazaki or Ghibli in high regard.

True Disney doesn't always do bad live action, they can do some really good work. I'm honestly really looking forward to a live action version of this story. And I agree with others, how you say they will ruin something when you haven't even seen it or watched it?
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:17 pm Reply with quote
imaramman wrote:
The first thing that came to my mind is Salem from "Sabrina The Teenage Witch"

That would be Nick Bakay. He writes for sitcoms e.g. The King of Queens and occasionally does/did stuff for ESPN. I always thought that if the US should Live-action (Yes, I'm using it as a verb) Sailor Moon, he should be Artemis just because.

Oh, and if you want my opinion, you might want to go after Bill Murray (Garfield the Movie) first. You know, all that good former SNL karma

Anyway, I want to say that Disney is trying to ride the Harry Potter fan wave, but that crested awhile ago, in my opinion. Regardless of motive, it's a good move. I'd certainly plop down $8.50 to see it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Funniest part of that article?

The Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys.

Laughing

GATSU wrote:
I guess they weren't satisfied with bastardizing Narnia and Hitchhiker's Guide.

You don't know yet if The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was "butchered" or not. It isn't a "Walt Disney production" per se, to begin with. It's a Spyglass Films production. The latest test screening reports may have started off negative, but many positive reviews of the unfinished version have come in the past few days. The finished version isn't due out yet until May, so you can wait until then to judge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KawaiiKitty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:42 pm Reply with quote
imaramman wrote:
Hi no Neko wrote:
Live action Kiki? Hooray! My only question is what will they do with Jiji? Will it be a real cat, animatronic, or CGI? If it's not a live cat, I certainly hope they keep him looking more or less real. Nothing can mess up a decent movie worse than a theme park mascot looking character.

They could always do worse I suppose. Anyone see any bits of the Sailor Moon Live Action show (Luna)? Hehehe...

My god, just watch it be the live action Luna toy or even better, Salem Anime hyper! I think Disney can really work it if they bring a cute and happy little actress in for Kiki.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully Disney doesn't do a dramatic overhaul of the atmosphere that leads to complete modernization, with Kiki having a valley-girl accent and everyone over-acting. If they can keep the same atmosphere, it might be good, but my faith in Disney over the past 5 years has seriously dropped, which is unfortunate, as they used to make good movies.
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I find myself with misgivings. If it was the old Disney with the LA films of the "Mary Poppins" era, they might pull it off and do so well. Today's Disney..., with their push towards the PG movies and trying to look "cool", makes me dubious that this will have anything of the purity the original anime had.

Of course, I haven't read the original book (I understand that Miyazaki had some trouble convincing the author to allow his changes), so if it's based on the original novel, I don't know what to expect. I vaguely recall that it was more of a bunch of short stories of Kiki using barter to get by, and the author was dubious of the idea that Kiki would lose her powers.
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:39 am Reply with quote
I can't speak for Narnia, but AintitCoolNews is saying that Disney's Hitchhiker's Guide is likely to turn off general audiences because of how hard-core geeky the early cuts are.

What Disney really needs to do, IMO, is go back to creating original films and adapting classic stories into film like they became famous for. Instead, they've been rehashing tired old series (Mulan is the most recent completed example) and now they are going to recreate the work of one of the most influential animation directors alive for some more fast cash, even though they already own rights to the original and could promote it well alongside it's growing (and quite poplular, if the checkouts where I work are any indication) stable of Miyazaki films. They don't bastardize everyone elses' stuff, they do it all to their own. . .

I am glad to here that the original books are being released here, though. That's definately cool, especially if the library I work at gets any copies...
hkrok76

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:58 am Reply with quote
well...i always have the Miyazaki film, so I don't really care. I just don't like the idea everyone is getting that live is better. It really irritates me. Maybe the book is fine with just an animated adaptation? Guess not. I have the same stance about the Eva and DBZ movie. Why? Still, if someone is doing kiki's because they truly like the source material and want to do it, then i am all for it. I'll see who's working on the project before judging it. If Uwe Boll is signed on, I will make fun of it unendlessly. So...don't fudge it up Disney.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:21 am Reply with quote
When I heard this from my friend the other day, what little respect I had left for Disney completely turned into nothing. First they turn sequel out after sequel, barely coming up with anything new, and then they decide to cash in now with remakes of Miyazaki's stuff. Disney, you %$@%^ suck.

And as to the Narnia thing, well, I'm expecting the worse. I'm already going in with the impression to hate since they're skipping two of the books, the two books which happen to be my favourite in the whole series. Yeah, I'm not liking the idea of this Narnia movie, even if they have one of my favourite singers/song writers working on the soundtrack.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4