• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Packaging Questions

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
After searching a bit I found one person who did replace his case.

http://cagcdnroot.cagproductionsll.netdna-cdn.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7474278&postcount=2210

He replaced his with 26mm thick case. He has a side by side pic. It's a bit bigger then the stackpack but looks bigger then what was on Sleeve City.

Sorry, I'm just fussy with this stuff. If I order it and I have to return it, it'll just drive me bonkers. Also, if its against the rules to link to another forum, then I hope mods fix that.
murph76

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't order anything before you measure your current case. Once you know how thick it is, shop for something similar.

If you haven't seen it already, there's a thread Replacing stackpak cases? that lists other places to shop. On it, I found a 22 mm 8-disc case on Casetopia.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
I wouldn't order anything before you measure your current case. Once you know how thick it is, shop for something similar.

If you haven't seen it already, there's a thread Replacing stackpak cases? that lists other places to shop. On it, I found a 22 mm 8-disc case on Casetopia.
Ugh, I hate those overlapping cases almost as much as stackpacks. Trying to take out your dvds just flexes them too much imho. I'm in the same boat as Bright Spear and want to replace some of my stackpacks. If the size of one of those cases is a little too thick I may just scan in the original sleeve artwork and print out something a tiny bit longer.
murph76

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I replaced my stackpak cases for Princess Tutu and Rozen Maiden with 6-disc cases from Sleeve City with no problem. Artwork fit perfectly.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if Berserk: The Golden Age Arc I - The Egg of the King comes with a slipcover? I know sometimes people who pre-order get them early from Right Stuf.
lem

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
@ Guren Alchemist4
there's no slipcover, just the blu-ray case w/ single sided artwork and an insert promo for neon alley & the Dark Horse Berserk manga. At least for the one I ordered from TRSI Oct 11th.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, no. Viz didn't make a slipcover.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Damn, that's unfortunate. I guess I can hold off till next year to buy the movie. I love slipcovers and wouldn't want to miss out on my copy having one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first print is usually the only one to get slipcovers when they are offered right? They stop adding it to the release at some point I suspect.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:51 am Reply with quote
Bright_Spear wrote:
Sorry, I'm just fussy with this stuff. If I order it and I have to return it, it'll just drive me bonkers. Also, if its against the rules to link to another forum, then I hope mods fix that.

If it's a problem, I can always link my pics here too. Wink
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if this is old news, but I just got all of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood on Blu-Ray and the packaging geniuses at FUNimation never cease to amaze me. For starters, even with the discounted re-release of the TV series, the buyer must chose DVD or BD as they are not combo sets. However, the OVA and the movie are combo sets, so if you want Blu-Ray you would have to buy the combos to complete your collection. For some reason they decided to release the OVA in a DVD-sized package and the movie in a BD-sized package (note this is not a case of just the slipcover being DVD-sized like it was with the Fafner movie, with a BD-sized amaray inside). Since the OVA is available on DVD for DVD buyers why did they feel the need to make the OVA combo DVD sized?

I don't mean to sound like I'm obsessing over this, because I really don't do that about packaging. However, I know some fans do (like the ones who went nuts when Pioneer became Geneon in the middle of series they were collecting and now their spines would not match) and it just seems to me there is no consistency in how FUNimation packages shows. I swear they have a dartboard and when each title's release is planned they throw darts to decide the packaging. I own 4 of their limited edition sets now, all combos. Chaos;Head is DVD sized, Princess Jellyfish is BD sized with no "spacer" (even though one was shown in the online pictures), Black Butler is BD sized with a "Spacer" and Serial Experiments Lain is BD sized and never had a "spacer".

I guess they believe in the old saying that "consistency is the hobgolin of little minds". Like I said, I know it's probably a no-win situation but I think most fans would rather they would pick a format for the combo sets and stick with it.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
@ OldCharlieStoletheHandle

It depends on when they were issued. Funimation initially did seperate DVD and Bluray packaging. When they initially went to combo packs they were all in DVD sized packages which caused some uproar. They eventually made all the combo packs Bluray sized. I first I got in the Bluray size was Princess Jellyfish. They have been consistent since then.

Unfortunately some series that were issued on both sides of the change got caught. For the older stuff they have not gone back and changed the package. Spice & Wolf has a DVD sized art box with DVD sized second season combo pack and Bluray sized first season Bluray. Strike Witches was initially DVD only. They then reissued a DVD/Bluray combo pack and the second season with a LE that has a Bluray sized art box. So, if you want both seasons in the art box you have to double dip on the first season. Ain't collecting fun??
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I received my Shana 2 set from Right Stuf yesterday and I have to ask...is anyone else annoyed with Funimation's decision to go with a DVD sized slipcover case for Part 2?

I'm probably making more of it then it deserves, but I like to collect all the packaging.....I even keep the empty cardboard sets that are used to fill space in the Limited Edition sets because of the nice art design they come with. I want to placed the slipcover right next to Part 1 which is Blu-Ray sized, but it looks awkward when I place them side by side on the shelf. Confused
GDFan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:24 am Reply with quote
I also like to collect everything, I've got half a shelf's worth of filler boxes and empty slipcases. Also, I can't bring myself to send in those survey cards because it would feel like those titles that come with them would be imcomplete without them.

The slipcover thing is especially annoying to me when it's for a movie or other stand alone release. Some of my shelves only hold blu-ray sized packaging, but it's not like I'm going to thow away the slipcase just to put a title on those shelves.

I know their packaging choices are all over the place, and can be quite annoying, but at least they are trying. They are one of the few R1 distributors who actually seem to listen to consumer feedback. Whether or not they know what to do with this input seems to be up for debate. At least they include slipcovers, and don't do stackpacks.

Guren Alchemist4 wrote:
I want to placed the slipcover right next to Part 1 which is Blu-Ray sized, but it looks awkward when I place them side by side on the shelf. Confused

To give them a little credit, this release, like most of their LE's, was not meant by them to be displayed this way. This would be negating the whole point of them doing a LE version. Pt. 2 should be inside the LE box, not next to it. But, if you're like us, more storage space is needed for this empty slipcase. This probably seems stupid to them at this time, but you and I know better, never throw anything away Cool
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
If it comes in a dvd or bluray sized case it's all the same to me-I don't display my stuff.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
GDFan wrote:
I also like to collect everything, I've got half a shelf's worth of filler boxes and empty slipcases. Also, I can't bring myself to send in those survey cards because it would feel like those titles that come with them would be imcomplete without them.

All the filler boxes have some artistic value too me, so it's all worthy of being displayed. Sometimes, I wish they would throw in some generic blank filler box, so I wouldn't feel the need to keep an empty box around. Space is starting to run thin a bit. I also keep those survey cards by the way. lol I even have a whole set of those post/ad cards that Right Stuf mails to me informing me of new releases.

I see what you mean though...it could be worse. Some companies don't seems to now the meaning of slipcovers. It almost doesn't feel right to get something in a single case without one.

zrdb wrote:
If it comes in a dvd or bluray sized case it's all the same to me-I don't display my stuff.

What do you do with yours? keep them in the shipping box and store them somewhere?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 28