• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: All of Z Gundam, 2 Gundam UC Trailers Now Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:50 am Reply with quote
I can't wait to view Unicorn online. Yeah I don;t have a PS3 so I can't do PSN. I'll buy the blu-ray when it comes out.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:10 am Reply with quote
Sorry, we can't stream to Asia. And we're not streaming Unicorn, that's Blu-ray only right now.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:13 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Unfortunately Bandai didn't have music rights to the OP/ED outside of Asia. They're not on the DVD either.

Used to have the first two double-disc sets, so I can live without the original theme songs in exchange for better translation. Figured it'd be easier for me to get the Anime Legends sets than get the rest of the double-discs.

I actually watched Double Zeta first. Not too eager to get it on DVD, so the lack of an R1 release doesn't bother me.

Still need to see the original movie trilogy and Char's Counter Attack.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:21 am Reply with quote
I don't remember the first episode being this hilarious. The characters constantly punch each other for little reason.

Then we get this line from Kamille
"I'M A MAN!"
halo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:49 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
However, we did make sure we got the subtitles that were used on the latest version of the DVD, which are apparently improved over the original subs.

Yes, they are. I'm still pissed about getting stuck with gimped subs on the LE release. I'm almost about to rip subs from a "less than legal" source since Bandai screwed people who preordered the LE set.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:16 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Wooga wrote:
Is there a place I can watch the original US Gundam series? I have the DVDs but I am missing 3 of the OOP ones..it would be awesome if I could watch them online

If you are referring to the original Mobile Suit Gundam, just wait until February 20. That's when ANN starts streaming it. I don't know if people in Japan can watch it, that's something you'd have to ask Justin.

Or you can watch it now on Crunchyroll.

And no, nobody in Asia can watch any of these Gundam Streams, period.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
Wait, is the 0079 series only going to be available in English dub format? Because I've waited for ages to see 0079 in its original Japanese dialogue.
Shale

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
Just English dubbed, yeah. The licensing nonsense that prevented Bandai from releasing dual-audio DVDs still exists today.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
Just English dubbed, yeah. The licensing nonsense that prevented Bandai from releasing dual-audio DVDs still exists today.

Which is completely and utterly ridiculous when you consider that

A: The 0079 TV series finally got its release in Japan on DVD and

B: The streams are not accessible to anyone inside Asia.

Therefore, there is no logical reason for us to not have the 0079 series subbed for the first time.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Shale wrote:

Which is completely and utterly ridiculous when you consider that

A: The 0079 TV series finally got its release in Japan on DVD and

B: The streams are not accessible to anyone inside Asia.

Therefore, there is no logical reason for us to not have the 0079 series subbed for the first time.

Sunrise says no. That's the reason. By the way if you ask sunrise why the answer is "because we say so."

If you want some actual plausible logic (maybe this has some truth or maybe not), they could not want to "spoil" the sales of a future global blu-ray release that has subs and the dub on it by releasing a sub version streaming only now. (yes I know with the existence of fansubs this point is really really horribly misguided, but I could see that train of thought)
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Sunrise says no. That's the reason. By the way if you ask sunrise why the answer is "because we say so."

Makes it sound like Sunrise is being run by Ben Stein. Rolling Eyes
Quote:
If you want some actual plausible logic (maybe this has some truth or maybe not), they could not want to "spoil" the sales of a future global blu-ray release that has subs and the dub on it by releasing a sub version streaming only now. (yes I know with the existence of fansubs this point is really really horribly misguided, but I could see that train of thought)

They'll just look for any excuse, won't they?

And let's just say that they do give a dual-language release of the show on Blu-Ray. Would anyone care to buy it? Aside from the hardcore Gundam and anime crowd, the majority of anime fans won't touch any show made before the year 2000. If it's 20th century material, it's too old to even look at.

It makes me sad to be an anime fan sometimes.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Bandai Channel also has a nice special page up that has links to the sites hosting the series, descriptions of the franchise and the titles (both UC and AU (00, SEED, and Wing only)), and a colorized graph of the schedule. On the UC side, they list every show and movie that appeared in chronological order--including ones that weren't announced for streaming. But before anyone gets too happy, there aren't any stream site logos given for them, and for the ones that do have them, only the titles in red are being streamed (so no MSG or Zeta movies...). I hope the rest of the properties will be available in the second half of the year, and maybe permenantly later on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Even if I'm not able to see the streams, I wish the US residents would get the chance to see the MSG Movie trilogy instead of the original series (or at least along/after seeing the original). Even if they feature the predictable pace issues, they are much better than the series itself (less filler, better animation, more adult-like), and for me they were the true start point of my passion for the franchise (which of course had bad series too...like destiny).

Although seeing as Gundam The Origin was a failure sales-wise and got cancelled, I doubt people's taste would match mine (since in my opinion is one hell of an adaptation, improving on the writing department and filling the gaps that the series and the movies had).

Bottom-line is, in order to truly appreciate the mood Unicorn will try to recreate, I think it would be ideal to watch the 0079 movies, Zeta Gundam (series, the movies are only eye-candy), ZZ (not a really good series, but it was the first time Neo Zeon appeared...and there's also the Puru's storyline) and CCA.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
This is great news to me. I've always wanted to become a hardcore Gundam fan but have never had legal access to the source material. Looks like I'm going to be gutting myself on Gundam for the next few months...
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
Even if I'm not able to see the streams, I wish the US residents would get the chance to see the MSG Movie trilogy instead of the original series (or at least along/after seeing the original). Even if they feature the predictable pace issues, they are much better than the series itself (less filler, better animation, more adult-like), and for me they were the true start point of my passion for the franchise (which of course had bad series too...like destiny).

Well, it's still pretty easy for us US residents to get the movie trilogy in that movie boxset with all 3 movies, CCA, and the 08th MS Team movie, whereas buying all the volumes of the TV series nowadays will probably cost you a small fortune. Anime smile + sweatdrop So yeah, they still have fairly easy access to the movie trilogy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4