• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: All of Z Gundam, 2 Gundam UC Trailers Now Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote
No, the Zeons were a bunch of lunatics based on the Nazis. This is fact, so no-one cite Godwin at me, okay? The Titans resemble a militarised McCarthyism more than anything else I can think of right now. However, I doubt the resemblance was Tomino's intention.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
No, the Zeons were a bunch of lunatics based on the Nazis. This is fact, so no-one cite Godwin at me, okay?

I've read tons of interviews with Tomino and have never heard this uttered. Do you have a source? Degwin Zabi calls Gihren a fanatic like Hitler at one point, but Degwin always struck me as more Machiavellian than fascistic.

The Titans, on the other hand, were practically black-shirts. Did the Titans have a philosophy at all?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
The Titans were basically supposed to shut up the colonists. Officially they were formed to root out any Zeon remnants or other rebel factions, but they were a group of fascists who did whatever they pleased as long as the Federation officials on Earth didn't have to be bothered with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jeikobu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Argh, all of Zeta Gundam, subbed. ANN is doing all it can to make me watch this one ahead of schedule! This was already high n my list, but subbed online? Sweeeeeeeet. Very Happy

How long will it be on ANN?

Thanks a lot ANN, this is great! Much appreciated. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Well, I agree that the Titans are not the most nuanced antagonists, but if you think the Zeon were any more ambiguous, you don't remember the original series that well. Aside from a few honorable people, like Big John, or Ramba Ral, the Zeon were also a bunch of lunatics.

While Zeon was the obvious villains, Tomino at least tried to protray the common soldier such as Rambal Ral and Char Aznable as fully fleshed out characters. Could you even call a single Titan fully fleshed out.

For example compare the Cyclops team to Colonel Killing.

Also I wouldn't call Zeon lunatics, they where completely ruthless willing to gas an entire colony just to drop it on the Federation headquarters but the atrocities made sense. The Titans commited atrocities for the shallowest of reasons.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
The Titans aren't meant to be nuanced themselves. Their reason for existing is, namely the fallout of the One Year War and a government who looks the other way while bad people do bad things, playing on people's fear while the Earth government rests in comfort on Earth and the colonists cower.

And yes, you did have Titans who were more than mustache-twirling cacklers, but you also had Paptimus Scirocco who was a bit more complex, quasi-sympathetic Jerid, Mouar, Kacricon, and others.

The Zeon, at least in the original MSG were more like, "Yeah, we're going to take over everything... er, for independence sake." Any additional development they received was either for individual characters or came in the side stories. Zeta has not had the luxury of having side story OVAs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Okay. Confused now. Anime smile + sweatdrop ... So I shouldn't watch the movies because all the important stuff is take out, or I should because they are animated better? Which series shouldn't I watch?
Question

The MSG movie trilogy is a slightly altered retelling of the TV series, with some of the fluff trimmed out, more improbable weapons and vehicles taken out, and villains have a much shorter lifespan in the movie opposed to the TV show. But both are equally as good by themselves and while the movie events bridge better with Zeta than TV, go ahead and watch both, they are seriously that good.

As for the Zeon=Nazi comparisons....while it might not be completly overt, comparing a military group that killed almost 100 million over 6 years to a military group responsible of killing 2.8 BILLION in ONE DAY is pretty natural. Almost second nature.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
I've read tons of interviews with Tomino and have never heard this uttered. Do you have a source?

Look at walw6pK4Alo's Avatar and then tell me there are no allusions to the Nazis among the Zeons.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Jeikobu wrote:
How long will it be on ANN?

You have until April 22. However, Gundam Seed and original Gundam will be going up in a couple weeks, and those will expire that day as well.

Unfortunately we were only able to get the Cartoon Network dub/cut of MS Gundam, so that might eliminate one of the shows on your list...
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
No, the Zeons were a bunch of lunatics based on the Nazis. This is fact, so no-one cite Godwin at me, okay?

I've read tons of interviews with Tomino and have never heard this uttered. Do you have a source? Degwin Zabi calls Gihren a fanatic like Hitler at one point, but Degwin always struck me as more Machiavellian than fascistic.

The Titans, on the other hand, were practically black-shirts. Did the Titans have a philosophy at all?

Zeon started the war by gassing a colony and dropping it on the Earth. The Nazi used poison gas in an attempt to wipe out the Jewish people.

Gihren's speeches and personality was based on Adolf Hitler.

The Zeon belief in miracle weapons was based on the Nazi's belief in Miracle Weapons.

The rallying cry of Zeon was "Sieg Zeon" while the rallying cry of the Nazis was "Sieg Hiel"
sdhd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Will ANNs or Crunchyroll stream Gundam UC prior to the Blu-ray release in April?
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Zeon started the war by gassing a colony and dropping it on the Earth. The Nazi used poison gas in an attempt to wipe out the Jewish people.

Gihren's speeches and personality was based on Adolf Hitler.

The Zeon belief in miracle weapons was based on the Nazi's belief in Miracle Weapons.

The rallying cry of Zeon was "Sieg Zeon" while the rallying cry of the Nazis was "Sieg Hiel"

HAIR SPLIT ALERT!

I'm following you on this, and agreeing on a lot of points, but I've never seen "based upon" in an explicit context in any interview. I absolutely agree when you (and another poster who's name I'm brain-farting on... time for a laptop that can scroll worth a damn!) mention both the aesthetic allusions and surface similarities to Nazism as well as Prussian military antiquity.

Perhaps I meant to say the ideology was what was confusing me. Gihren is compared by his father to Hitler, and describes himself (in the dub, at least) as a "true follower of Hitler." I've never read anybody from the production say "Oh yeah, he's Hitler, Cyllia's Himmler." etc, so it's just the "based on" that's got me head-scratching, because a lot of Nazi philosophy goes out the window when you look at Zeon on the whole. Lala Sun, expanding the human consciousness while abandoning gravity, sovereign rule over their portion of space, et al. It's almost this kind of violently-debased humanism.

I'm not trying to be argumentative and I'm sure this is counter-productive so I'll move on. Good points you've made here!

Regardless, this is a pretty great thing for Gundam fans or people who've wanted to get an idea what was up for it. My gateway was 0083, which definitely made an attempt to flesh out the Titans raison d'etre a bit.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Look at walw6pK4Alo's Avatar and then tell me there are no allusions to the Nazis among the Zeons.

Dude, settle down. It's just a show...mkay?
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:56 am Reply with quote
Oh man Charred Knight amd dtm42 are talking aboug Gundam again, this should be good. *Pulls up a bowl of popcorn and awaits the unintentional hilarity* Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4