• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Blass Radius

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
First, I just felt like I was being a jerk, talking about the length of peoples' posts. I didn't need to take it there at all. (My opinion hasn't changed, though!)

Whatever happened towards the end of Blassreiter (I'm sorry I didn't remember the end. It was honestly not memorable. Good guys win, or something? Snooze.) BTW, I JUST skimmed through the ending again on CR and it WAS deus ex machina because spoiler[ Joseph basically had ghosts boost his power; he didn't win due to technology or his own skills! Where was the precedent for freaking ghosts in this story about technology? It was freaking Hulk Hogan crap!]

Even if they explained that last moment, I probably still wouldn't have liked it. It's a cop-out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Whatever happened towards the end of Blassreiter (I'm sorry I didn't remember the end. It was honestly not memorable. Good guys win, or something? Snooze.) BTW, I JUST skimmed through the ending again on CR and it WAS deus ex machina because spoiler[ Joseph basically had ghosts boost his power; he didn't win due to technology or his own skills! Where was the precedent for freaking ghosts in this story about technology? It was freaking Hulk Hogan crap!]

And for the second time you missed what spoiler[killed Xargin. What killed him was the Isis nanomachines that were produced and mentioned before the ending(thus, not deus ex machina). That sort of counter-Demoniac was released from Joseph's body upon his death.] So, in the end, the "lame motorbike souls" appearing right before was more of a fanservice, since they didn't solve the problem at all. If you still don't get it, good for you. Perhaps understanding the meaning could help as well, there ya go:
Quote:
A deus ex machina is a plot device where a previously intractable problem is suddenly and abruptly solved, usually with the contrived introduction of either characters, abilities, or objects not mentioned before within the storyline. It is generally considered to be a poor storytelling technique because it undermines the story's internal logic.
Kenshin Shinta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if DETROIT is the only city with bad streets in America? Although I've been living there 35yrs I've never seen a street(Anywhere Here) worn down to the bars. I'm just curious of where the area is so I could see what that looks like. Also I'm curious where the main stream anime reviews from this person[are/will be/when] done. that should prove to be most interesting, though I'd bet money bleach,naruto,etc. etc. will be shelf worthy(I wonder why I'm so sure) - much love people
Ashabel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
After this weak box set, I have a lot of questions about D. Gray Man. How popular is this show in Japan, really?

Well, since you asked so nicely...

The show isn't popular in Japan at all, really. The manga is loved, but the anime is credited with completely destroying D.Gray-man's credibility as a franchise worthy of merchandise. It might be noticeable if you observe how it's the only major Shonen Jump brand that gets has no figurines despite having some of the best art in the magazine.

By the time the anime finished airing, it had 0.3% viewer ratings and was canceled from most of the stations that originally aired it. Complaints pointed to poor voice acting, numerous animation errors, copious filler and the art being nothing like the source material.

So no, you're far from the only one who thinks that way of the D.Gray-man anime. Some 99.7% of the Japanese audience agrees with you.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
KENSHIN-SHINTA wrote:
I wonder if DETROIT is the only city with bad streets in America? Although I've been living there 35yrs I've never seen a street(Anywhere Here) worn down to the bars. I'm just curious of where the area is so I could see what that looks like.

I have, I have! Fort and Livernois. The top of the Southbound 75 offramp to Livernois was worn down to the bars for at least a month when I worked there around 2008. Additionally, until shortly before the Superbowl, if you tried to continue southwesterly along Fort to the point where it passes under the 75 overpass you wouldn't make it without an M1A2 Abrams main battle tank, or something of similar design.

EDIT: El typos.

Last edited by DerekTheRed on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Egoist, what happened before the eventual outcome of Blassreiter is tied to the outcome. spoiler[He was basically imbued with more power by them. Without the goofy ghost stuff, we're not led to the "happy" ending. Yes, he struck the final blow with something that actually made more sense for the show, but the powering up BS was useless.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't care whether you consider the "powering up" lame, useless, or whatever else you could call it. It's not Deus Ex Machina simply because it didn't solve anything. What did was a technology that, a few posts above, was claimed by you as non-existent in the anime. After all I never cared about whatever you said about the anime, but making a false accusation that just couldn't slip by as your own opinion definitely grabbed my interest.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[I'll stop saying that the "ghosts" part resolved everything, but it was surely helpful, wouldn't you agree? It put him in the position to make his final move. Deus ex Machina isn't the right way to put it, but it was a last minute come-from-behind move that I felt didn't fit with the story.]
Kenshin Shinta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
First I have to ask what kind of job were you doing in that area for only a month Second the area you speak of was just like davison (east to west)or vandyke to linwood, livernois+fort to livernois+7mile, 75 overpass at micnichols,they started repairs and claimed no more money was in the road budget(which was why the islands took so long to fix on livernois and also non prime use roads aka (non-essential) were held up.Third was the review written in 2008-2009 or 2days ago when I was in the area in 2010. And lastly and most importantly why are you answering for the reviewer? Welcome To Detroit City-- That's 7mile to belle ille not the surrounding citys that try to claim The D[looking at you M&M warren is not Detroit] much love people
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I worked there for 5 years, it's just that it was about a month that the huge pothole existed. That wasn't very clear.

KENSHIN-SHINTA wrote:
I wonder if DETROIT is the only city with bad streets in America? Although I've been living there 35yrs I've never seen a street(Anywhere Here) worn down to the bars. I'm just curious of where the area is so I could see what that looks like.

And if that doesn't read like open-ended musing, I don't know what does. Where is britanicamoore to settle this dispute? Wink
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Ramblemouse wrote:
By the time the anime finished airing, it had 0.3% viewer ratings and was canceled from most of the stations that originally aired it. Complaints pointed to poor voice acting, numerous animation errors, copious filler and the art being nothing like the source material.

Ooh, that's really interesting! Is there a special website where you can find out stuff like that? I'd be really curious to find out how some of my favorite anime shows stacked up against their competition. I don't guess Japan uses Nielsen ratings...
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Here is what got me about Blassreiter.

EVERY good deed was punished by 3 fold pain and suffering.
ANY retribution tied to the above ramped up the misery 10 fold.

The message: Good deed = bad outcome. Bad deed = advance your power/agenda.

I get they were trying to be edgy.... future is bleak, but you have to hold on...

Toward the end, I no longer cared at all what happened, I just wanted to see it end. Dropping a few cleansing nukes would have been a better end. The shown ending did not disappoint my low expectations. for all the reasons Erin mentioned.

From the review of Skullman, it seems to be a similar story to Blassreiter, I wonder how the two compare?

After seeing on the forums the defenders of Dragonauts, and now Blassreiter, there must be some really divergent tastes in anime out there.

I would never think of owning Blassreiter, and a rewatch of it would be harsh punishment for me.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
KENSHIN-SHINTA wrote:
...Third was the review written in 2008-2009 or 2days ago when I was in the area in 2010. And lastly and most importantly why are you answering for the reviewer? Welcome To Detroit City-- That's 7mile to belle ille not the surrounding citys...

I'm glad DerekTheRed was able to back me up.

To be fair, I was only driving through Detroit between 1996-1999, and not that often. But I am certainly talking about the criss-crossing highway bits in the very downtown heart of the city, and not some suburb. I also thought the roads were famous for being in bad condition, at least at that time, according to NPR's Michigan Radio.

I've driven across the county twice since then, and I've never seen roads so worn out as the ones I remember in Detroit. It's not all the City's fault, I mean, that kind of weather and salting the roads would ruin any highway.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Random thought about Detective Conan and other Murder Mystery of the Week Shows (like Murder She Wrote):

You'd think that after a while people would wake up and realize, hey, whenever this guy/girl is around, without fail, people f-ing die! Horribly. That they're magnets for murder; yet, no one makes that connection, nor do they stop getting invitations to visit places and relations.

I always found that odd. Meh.

Good reviews. All filler and tripe shall go the way of the bin (or circle the bowl).

And you can't have a "Shelf Worth" title without a Shelf Worth title. If they aren't producing quality, it's no fault to the reviewer or the grading system. I'd rather have honest reviews than pressure to exaggerate or inflate a title's review score.

Believe me, I'm just as sad about the lack of Shelf Worthy titles. Ultimately however, it's up to each of us to make that judgment for ourselves. But a sounding board and a little corroboration or difference of opinion never hurts.

Nicely Done, Erin.
Tenkyoken

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

....Then again, Yu-Gay-Oh is hyped to hell as well...! Anime hyper

Seriously?

I have only watched the first 14 episodes of Blassreiter, and I'm not going to lie, I love it! Story, drama, character development, it is topping the charts for me. It may change as the series progresses, but unless it is a complete 180, I can't see my opinion changing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5