• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Blass Radius

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashabel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Ooh, that's really interesting! Is there a special website where you can find out stuff like that? I'd be really curious to find out how some of my favorite anime shows stacked up against their competition. I don't guess Japan uses Nielsen ratings...

I'm afraid I don't really know. Most of my knowledge concerning D.Gray-man's run comes from forums dedicated to the franchise and since the series has been over for a good year now, those threads are long gone.

If I remember right, 2ch had a huge thread bashing the series to hell and back when it was canceled. A lot of actual complaints were picked up from there.

Gewürtztraminer wrote:
From the review of Skullman, it seems to be a similar story to Blassreiter, I wonder how the two compare?

They're completely different series. Blassreiter is trying to be a new addition to the Japanese superhero franchise, but its desperate attempts to be marketable and more complex than it actually is break its legs long before it reaches the finish line.

Skullman plays itself straight as a Japanese tokusatsu show similar to Kamen Rider, but changes the point of view to a civilian instead of the hero himself. The director figured that a masked man killing monsters would look as scary to a passerby as the monsters themselves and played on it.

Last edited by Ashabel on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
And you can't have a "Shelf Worth" title without a Shelf Worth title. If they aren't producing quality, it's no fault to the reviewer or the grading system.

I completely agree. I read Erin's remarks on the meaning of her scale and think the approach is extremely useful. Personally I like owning DVDs, but copies of shows I ain't never gonna watch again do me no good. I would rather save the money (and shelf space) for something I'll want to watch over and over.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:52 am Reply with quote
Yu-gi-oh, oh, excuse me, Yi-gay-oh, is overhyped? I guess, um, maybe 10 years ago? Who talks about Yu-gi-oh now in an overly positive way?

Back then, I don't remember people talking about the intricacies of the plot or the characters. That show just felt like the same card battles over and over again. Oh, and Yugi would come from behind with some ordinary card that he used in an odd way that made him win the whole game.

Tenkyoken, I liked elements of Blassreiter as well, but those parts weren't enough to accept the whole.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stretch24

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:32 am Reply with quote
While Erin hated Blassreiter part 2 and I loved it (but am only an amateur critic), check out Theron Martin's review of the same:[animenewsnetwork.com/review/blassreiter/dvd-part-2]
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:38 am Reply with quote
What does being an amateur critic have to do with your opinion? If you became a great pro critic, you would still like and dislike things. Erin is just another person, but she has a good ability to express herself in writing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stretch24

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:58 am Reply with quote
I just thought that my opinion might have less credibility with readers here since I'm not getting paid to compose it. So I want to point out that another professional here at ANN assigned the show (part 2) a not at all bad rating of B. To anyone who hasn't already given it a try, I recommend that you watch at least the first two or three episodes of Blassreiter and by then it should be clear whether this is the sort of show for you.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:23 am Reply with quote
Being paid to give your opinion doesn't make an opinion any more valid. It's the talent to express your point of view intelligently is what makes a pro's opinion worth reading over a joe/jane schmo.

It's good to have many opinions on the site and for you to point us there; but, really, what does it mean that one person liked it more than another? I think that both reviewers express their disappointments of some aspects of the show (writing, for example) and it's one reviewer who has different expectations for a quality show over another. I think what you just pointed out is that people have opinions, not that this review might have been "wrong."

Maybe people who really liked the show have fears that negative reviews drive people away from trying a show out, but I would hope that people like you will search for many other reviews before avoiding a show.
Tenkyoken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:

Tenkyoken, I liked elements of Blassreiter as well, but those parts weren't enough to accept the whole.

To each his own mate.
leeleekins

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:42 am Reply with quote
i have to completely agree with erins view on d gray man. that show bores me to tears. my friend (who is forcing me to watch because its her all time favorite) insists that after this particular arc the show gets far better, but I've yet to see something different than everyone fighting akuma using the same techniques over and over again. im going to finish this anime eventually (i cant really bring myself to tell her "sorry, im really bored/this sucks man" about her favorite anime >.>) but there are many many ways id rather spend my time than watching this yawnfest.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:41 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Yu-gi-oh, oh, excuse me, Yi-gay-oh, is overhyped? I guess, um, maybe 10 years ago? Who talks about Yu-gi-oh now in an overly positive way?

Would the CW's running of promos during their prime-time lineup count?
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
No, that would count as advertising.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5