• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now Streaming: Black Cat (1-24 dub)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
This is probably the most easiest Shonen Jump to enjoy.

The characters are instantly likeable, the dubbing was quite funny (Brandon Potter was HILARIOUS!!!).

I didn't really approve of the last 4-ep arc at the end, but it could've been a LOT worse, when it comes to filler!

A weird choice for ANN to add (some more dubbed Monsters would've been nicer...), but it's good all the same! Very Happy
GVentola

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
This is one of my fave series. Train, the hero, is cute and cool, but it's his partner Sven Vollfied that's won my heart. He's the one with the eyepatch. But he doesn't wear it because an eye is gone. It's there, in a different color, and it allows him to see into the future. He looks good with the eye patch, but he looks especially great with the mismatched eyes both showing. Plus he believes in chivalry. His kindness to the "monster" Eve shows her the way. The manga (also good) calls him a "self-styled ladies man", but I don't see none of that. He's just a real cool, sexy guy, a rival for Wolfwood in my personal list of top anime hotties.

Excuse me while I drool all over my computer keyboard.
Dakaran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow, incredible Smile!!! I'm watching it right now! This one delivers all the good stuff and for the first time I'm amazed with the performance an american voice actor, Sven Volfied who is being dubbed is way cool. Very Happy
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:26 am Reply with quote
This is probably the ONLY series in which I read the manga first and THEN watched the anime. Usually it's the other way around for me and I end up enjoying a series in both its forms, but this... was the only one where I actually MISSED certain things in the manga of how a scene was executed. The ending arc of the show was amusing but... basically a time filler if anything, to get their quota of episodes in.

All in all, HOOKED on the book but the show... well, it was just alright, as an adaptation, personally. (I mostly missed Tearju's manga scenes!)
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quote
Ahh, Black Cat - one of the first shows that I followed as it came out in Japan way back in the Fall 2005 season.

It sheds no new ground, but I thought it did its job well - the characters were fairly likable, and the action did its job. It entertained me, and that's good enough for me. It even led me to purchase the manga when Viz eventually put it out.

Granted, I can see why people vastly prefer the manga, having read my copies of the volumes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1