• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Confirms Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei License

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, the background text is in English anyway. Just freeze and read, or just skip over. I doubt there's anything they could do to improve that.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Well, the background text is in English anyway. Just freeze and read, or just skip over. I doubt there's anything they could do to improve that.

What?

No. The background text is nearly all Japanese.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this was unexpected. How dependable is Media Blasters when it comes to getting the sequels of a show? All of these new, great licenses, and I have such a limited budget. Maybe it's time to more actively start renting...
The Count

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Oh boy, i can't wait to see the reaction from a certain someone when he gets on Twitter later. Rolling Eyes

Good to see this one was confirmed after hearing the rumors during the summer con season.
Yeah he's been quite lately Shocked . Didn't hear from him about toradora or this.

Its funny I just started watching this show today and got to ep4. Oh well I guess I'll hang it up till May.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen SZS, but I'll definitely rent it. If it's good, I'm going to really hate MB for continuing to put out singles. Waiting for each disc of Moribito was sheer torture.

Also excited that *maybe* this means we'll be seeing Moyasimon in the future! Very Happy
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
What?

So, was that the fansubbers' work? I watched all the seasons but don't recall any Japanese text. Either way, if the fansub group did it, I'm sure a licensing company wouldn't really be troubled over something a group of 5 or less did during their free time.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
What?

So, was that the fansubbers' work? I watched all the seasons but don't recall any Japanese text. Either way, if the fansub group did it, I'm sure a licensing company wouldn't really be troubled over something a group of 5 or less did during their free time.

Most of season 2, the OVA season and season 3 where edited by fansubbers for the background and sign text to be in English.

I think gg used to have a blog to explain all the text to, but they stopped at like episode 7 of Zan.

I wish Media blasters would do something like the fan subbers did and just edit all the text in to English
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
YES!! YES!! YES!! **CKING YES!!! OMG!!! I can't believe it. I'm so there with my cold hard cash.

Now the question is will they release the rest? Since there are now 3 seasons?

I was wondering when someone would re-license 'Urotsukidoji'. I figured it would be a toss up between either 'Kitty' and 'Critical'. But I guess 'Kitty' took the dive. Well, that series needs to be remastered seriously. So that future generations can experience the grandpa of "hentai" horror that we had to suffer with. Razz

Last edited by Chrno2 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
Oh boy, i can't wait to see the reaction from a certain someone when he gets on Twitter later. Rolling Eyes
Yeah he's been quite lately Shocked . Didn't hear from him about toradora or this.

If you mean on here, it's because he got banned (twice). He whined over Toradora at both Twitter & FUNi's blog so i expect the same over this as well.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
ScrappedAeon wrote:
It'd be a travesty if they're dubbing Queen's Blade but not SZS.

Agreed- but, I'll take what I can get.

Between this and Hetalia, I'm pretty well set for anime liscenses this year. (OK, I'd like to see Allison and Lillia, but that's just not likely.)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
What?

I'd love for that to happen, but it just isn't likely.

Heck, just look how much text are in the openings alone.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Kind of sad too, cause one of my favorite parts of the first series were those rants during the opening theme.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
What?

A fansub group would be less troubled by cries of "waah! hard subs! boycott now!".

I think a probably reason for Queen's Blade getting a dub while this doesn't is that tits sell to people other than a small group of vocal fans on the internet who are into Japanese humour, at least half of whom won't actually buy anything anyway, and more projected sales means higher budget.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
This great news. I've been waiting a while now to see this one picked up by someone. Now I can introduce my older brother to the series.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

You now realize that was the work of fansubbers, and won't be addressed at all in the DVD. And it wasn't merely just putting a TL note like DVDs would do, it was meticulously work of erasing the Japanese and typesetting the English back in. That's why SZS, ZSZS, and more ZSZS were routinely released at a delayed schedule, it was hell for the groups.

I doubt ANY company would be willing to do that. Almost every episode was littered with this stuff.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You now realize that was the work of fansubbers, and won't be addressed at all in the DVD.

Yes. Doesn't bother me at all. If I ever re-watch this, I'll simply re-watch the fansubs instead of the DVD. Done that many times despite owning the series' DVD. Monster is going to be another to join this scheme.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7