• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Adds Asu no Yoichi, Eyeshield 21, Hell Girl 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdhd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote
Yes!Looking forward to Eyeshield 21. Will the translation be those on Crunchyroll?
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Well, I'm no genuine smart ass, but . . .

Rinkwolf wrote:
by selling the show at outrages prices and not even checking their work before releasing it

[. . .]

they are too lazy to even check for spelling error in their subs.

Just be happy that I'm not ADV Zombie, or you would find yourself paying to see typos everywhere and paying almost the same amount you would to read a professional Author's work.
Almaz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:57 am Reply with quote
sdhd wrote:
Yes!Looking forward to Eyeshield 21. Will the translation be those on Crunchyroll?

I would think ADV would use their own subs. I would think even Rinkwolf would agree that Cruchyroll's subs was worse than ADV's. I have seen numerous sub problems from no text, spelling errors, wrong names and words.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:57 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
......if companies weren't out there to please fans then what would be the point of Funimation doing Simultaneous Broadcasting of some of their shows in subs, for free and with not typos? I mean they could just charge you for each episode like 50 cents (subbed ones) and make more money.

Aren't they doing that already? Just check past news, since I'm too lazy to. Funimation's videos don't play here, so I'm completely ignorant of the actual status of their site. Besides they're not doing that to please you, or the guy next to you, but more as a form of advertising the series. Regardless, their ultimate intention is to make money, just like most businesses nowadays.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:

Really? Then why is there no Dubbed Clannad yet? Care to enlighten me? I mean is it possible that it didn't do well for Neo ADV or there isn't enough fans of the show out there? One look at the release records would tell you other wise. No, rather, Neo ADV doesn't car for dubs anymore and just put the good amount of money it made into licensing other shows and making money of the other shows and not caring of what the Fans want.
I hit the nail on the head with that one.

Yes, you did. Sentai want to make money. Duh. Do you really think that doing a dub for Clannad would generate enough sales from the dub people to civer the cost? No way in hell. Half of the ones who wanted a dub probably went and got the sub anyway. So no, they would not make money from it. And stop bitching about Sentai. Every second post from you is a complaint that Clannad didn't get dubbed even though it sold.

PS: The fact that Clnnad sold so well without a dub proved that it didn't need one to make a profit. Why take a risk when you don't have to?

You are a prime example of the saying "Ignorance is bliss". Just think back (if you can) to when Clannad was announced. I was announce by ADV Films (almost all the people that pre ordered it though it was going to be dubbed) and then ADV Films broke down. Than, Clannad became a sub only release and people started to cancel their orders. But, many didn't because they wanted to uphold ADV Films, for it was more then just a company to them, it was more like family, or so I'm told.

So as you can see (hopefully you can) a good portion of that success was due to the situation and a possible promise of a better release (hopefully a dubbed one) in time to come from ADV Films. But that was a flawed dream and ADV Films became ADV Zombie and now it just roams the anime Fandom in search of what more it can devour.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:08 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
......if companies weren't out there to please fans then what would be the point of Funimation doing Simultaneous Broadcasting of some of their shows in subs, for free and with not typos? I mean they could just charge you for each episode like 50 cents (subbed ones) and make more money.

Aren't they doing that already? Just check past news, since I'm too lazy to. Funimation's videos don't play here, so I'm completely ignorant of the actual status of their site. Besides they're not doing that to please you, or the guy next to you, but more as a form of advertising the series. Regardless, their ultimate intention is to make money, just like most businesses nowadays.

If that were true then they wouldn't put show online but hold of on them and release them on DVDs only to make more and more money. But, as you can clearly see, they don't. I mean, they sell the shows on DVD to cover for the cost of things and to make some profit and then a while later they put it online for those of us that don't have the money to spend at the moment, so that even they can enjoy their show. On top of that they post up both sub and dub episodes of thing to satisfy both sides of anime fans. If that is not caring for fans then I don't know what is.

Also, if they didn't care about Fans then why would they license show that fans expressed interest in on their forums? Just face it, Funimation does care for the fans and at the same time for itself. Where as ADV Zombie (as the name implies) cares only for itself and nothing else.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
Then, explain this to me.

Quote:
Also, if they didn't care about Fans then why would they license show that fans expressed interest in on their forums?

So they can choose a title that will make money. Kindness doesn't fuel the industry.

Last edited by egoist on Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Wow, we have a genuine smart ass on your hands, where did I say that they have to dub all the show they have. All I said is that they treat their shows like shit and there fans even worse (by selling the show at outrages prices and not even checking their work before releasing it). Also, they show no interest in going back and dubbing their more popular titles like Clannad. I'm not saying they need to go back and dub all their shows that they licensed.

I liked ADV Films because they actually treated shows better, unlike ADV Zombie that doesn't give two shits about the show they have licensed. So much so, that they are too lazy to even check for spelling error in their subs.
Well Mr. Pot, me thinks you complain too much, with too little knowledge of just what Sentai has been through to be even still in business, and they might go under yet. It exposes you as being a bit ungrateful. If their business model is too annoying for you then simply don't watch it. Job's a good'un. Wink
Almaz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:25 am Reply with quote
I find it interesting that no one even puts up what is wrong with specific titles. Only that fan subbers do a better job and stick it to the man. I have not seen any company do perfect work all of the time. I have a Crunchyroll membership and been pleased with the service. Sure the subs are screwed up on occasion and the site can be a pickle at time. However, it is good to have a site that does not have to take down shows (since it is legit.) I have seen fan subs have far less consistent quality.

As of Funimation being the "prefect" company, I would like to note that I find starting series and abandoning them more annoying than sub/dub issue. XXXholic, Kodocha, Big Windup, and others were dumped after the first season for poor sales. If they were the business geniuses as some have put them, why did they even attempt to put the series out? Did they care for their fans? They made the business choice and cut their loses. For that, I am now wary of buying Funimation since I do not know if they will continue the series past the first season.
Almaz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
FYI. I do understand that Funimation had to do what they did to stay in business. However, not finishing what they started ......
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:31 am Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
ZakuAce wrote:
To summerize Rinkwolf:
Dub anime in English
?????
Profit!

Please brush up on your knowledge of the R1 market. This does not apply anymore. As I have said countless times, go buy some of their older stuff that has a dub if you really need one. There are a lot of good old titles out there.

Then why is Funimation doing to well. Also, explain to me why Neo ADV charges almost or even the same amount for sub only as funimation does for dubbed shows?...... if that doesn't spell out greed the I don't know what does. Also, if you have sub only release then new fans have a harder time of getting in to anime. Most fans started off being fans for anime through dubs. Funimation want to bring more fans to anime but Neo ADV just want to keep the fans they have and suck them dry with sub only and if possible get the new fans to buy their stuff as well. Now that is just plain dirty and greedy. A prefect example of this is Hell Girl, the fans of the show will think, hey here is more of the show and then find out that it's sub only and have to settle for that. You think that funimation couldn't get Hell Girl and sub only release it? They could but they know that Fans have a standard and want a dub, so they didn't get it because it's not profitable for them and they didn't want to disappoint fans with no dub. But Neo ADV doesn't care about thinks like that so they just release show in sub only.

Don't get me wrong, hell girl 2 getting licensed is good, because it seem like it will not get licensed till another year with Funimation, but you see how they new fans have no choice but to transit to subs because Neo ADV doesn't care about how the fans feel and want?

Rinkwolf, I'm only going to say this once because you are obviously anime illiterate about how the market works: If you want Section23 to start dubbing more titles, support them by buying thier sub releases! Stop bitching and complaining and WAIT UNTIL THEY FIND A NEW PARTNER that can help fund dubs!

That is all, please stop with the hyperpole.

I have one work for you "Bullshit" you think that if we support ADV Zombie's shitty ass job of subbing they will wake up and say hey maybe we should dub now. Hell no they won't. If I support then more then they will think that everthing is fine and that sub only releases satisfy me. What kind of bullshit are you trying to feed me. I don't know about you but I don't take shit from no one.

Are you an Idiot and I mean that as a literal question. Just look, people have been giving them support in hopes that they will dub something. But, as you can clearly see, they don't want to dub and want to do sub only releases. If they showed at least a hint of wanting to go back and dub some of their well selling shows, only then would I support the.

Just think of what your saying. If I want a dub I need to support the sub releases. No thanks, I would rather give my money to funimation, because I know I'm investing in a dub.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
I'm curious about which release most people on this forum buy if companies like Sentai or Funimation put out 2 options of each release. English dub only or Japanese with subs only. Realistically, the dubbed version should be a little more expensive, but lets say that that they are sold at the same price point.

Personally, I'd pretty much always go with the subs. Even for the same price.

What is the rational in that. The subs you can find anywere on the internet but the dub is a different story. I mean, if there is no dub then there is not dub. There is not way to get one if it doesn't exist. So, my choice would to get the Dub only and watch the sub only on the internet. That way I pay my "dues" to the produces, investers and such and at the same time be able to watch both dubbed and subbed.

What you are basically saying is that you are content with paying for a dub but not having one? If that is true then you and me have exactly the opposite views of anime experience.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
Tokimemofan wrote:
I hereby organize a million loli march in protest of the name change of Asu no Yoichi! with the goal of forcing Sentai Filmworks to restore the original name to this series (or did I mention the angry lolis).

Seriously though anyone else pissed about this? Sometimes fans can stop stupid decisions just like renaming Utawarerumono blew up in someones face. *end seriousness*

Come forth my loli minions!!!

Sentai kept both names in the DVD cover art and so did TOKYOPOOP for the manga cover art so your whining over this is not only pointless but very late as well since as Takeyo mentioned, the first manga volume was released back in June.

Almaz wrote:
FYI. I do understand that Funimation had to do what they did to stay in business. However, not finishing what they started ......

They're not the only company with unfinished anime titles.

"looks at the many shows that Viz dropped including Megaman & Full Moon" Evil or Very Mad
Almaz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:50 am Reply with quote
To some degree, I agree with Rinkwolf. If people are buying titles hoping that Sentai will put out dubs is a lost cause. Like many people have said before, a company is going to do what a company has to do. Down the road, it might happen (not holding my breath). Now, I have yet seen any of the subpar subs that Rinkwolf have mentioned. Nor has he shown any of these defects. I can only come up with is he can only deal with dubs.

I, myself, used to dislike subs. Mostly due to having reading issues. I have gotten use to subs since all of the simulcast shows are sub only. I just recently watched several of their shows on Anime Network and bought S/A and You're Under Arrest. I watch part of S/A. The subs seemed to be the same quality that ADV used to have. No errors that I noticed. The video quality is good for being packed on one disk.

I will be buying more of Sentai titles not for the hope of dubs. Just to get the titles at all.
Quark

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:52 am Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
I find it interesting that no one even puts up what is wrong with specific titles. Only that fan subbers do a better job and stick it to the man. I have not seen any company do perfect work all of the time. I have a Crunchyroll membership and been pleased with the service. Sure the subs are screwed up on occasion and the site can be a pickle at time. However, it is good to have a site that does not have to take down shows (since it is legit.) I have seen fan subs have far less consistent quality.

Well, it's hard to point out exactly what's wrong with the titles, as it's generally a typo here and there. From what I've heard, some people said that some titles had on average one typo per episode. From what I've seen myself, having watched a few of Sentai's releases, it wasn't quite that bad. But there definitely are a few typos here and there. The same could be said for most R1 companies though.
Despite the typos, I'd still say they're doing a better than most fansubs I've seen. The font used in the Sentai releases is nice, clear, and easy to read, and I think they have less typos and spelling errors than most fansubs.
There is definite room for improvement, but honestly, it's not as bad as some people have made it out to be.
My main beef with Sentai is that their releases are very bare bones, but at the same time, they're releasing a lot of shows I like, and finishing them. That to me is more important than extras and pretty box art. Even if I miss the pretty box art.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16