• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4th Annual Seiyū Award Winners Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Whoops! I meant to modify my entry but I guess I accidentally hit "Quote" instead. Sorry for the double post!

I agree Saiga was an odd choice. (Don't get me wrong-- I love her work and she's a totally awesome person!) But yeah....... I would have guessed someone like Konishi Katsuyuki to win for Kamina or something, what with Gurren Lagann's popularity and all. Or Kamiya Hiroshi (whom I was hoping for) for Araragi kun, Tieria, Itoshiki sensei, etc, etc. These should be bigger names outside of Japan??

@Niomo
But uh, do many people pay attention to that character? Sure it's a popular series, but not exactly the most popular character.

@Mister V
He won Best Supporting Actor last year. He didn't do too much in 2009 'cept for Haruhi II, and Gintama is still running. Oh, and Macross Frontier.
Beldarius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Good thing Tessho Genda got the merit award, he's really done a lot of voice-acting over the years.

Also happy for MikiShin and Horie.

I still don't really get the whole Synergy Award thing, but... Furuya and Ikeda? Yay~

Atsushi Abe?! ...Best new actor? ...He plays Yato in Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas. *dies*

I really like Saiga, good thing she got the overseas award.
Also, uhm... she played Maria Ross in the first FMA. I think that should be enough for people to know her. Not to mention that she was Wolfram in Kyo Kara Maoh and Kouseki Ryoutou in Koutetsu Sangokushi. :/ She WAS also in Gundam 00's second season as Revive Revival, along with Monochrome Factor, Nabari no Ou, Peacemaker Kurogane and 07-Ghost (srsly, this last one, I wanna watch it).

Besides, I BET the people who vote in the overseas version are actually those people who know more about anime than the average watcher. They'd have watched anime that isn't so popular overseas yet.
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Puchiko won.

I don't watch as much as anime as I used to, but Miyuki Sawashiro appears in a lot of the anime I do watch. One of the most versatile of all voice actresses - she does little girls, boys, mature women, etc. - she would've gotten my vote.

I usually can pick out her voice since I've heard it so much.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Yay OnoD!!
I also think that Miyuki Sawashiro definitely deserved her win. Smile
Cielito_Lindo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Anime smile I'm really glad for OnoD, he was exactly what I expected Sebastian to be.
MikiShin was a nice surprise, as I adore him as Roy Mustang, but I'm overjoyed at Namikawa getting the award, although I think he's at his best in Hetalia, still, he's great in Kimi ni Todoke (haven't seen more than 3 episodes of 07-Ghost).
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
"Badly directed" fits Kuro better. The story had an awesome potential, yes, it did. Well, I thought Kana Hanazawa would get an award; more like I wanted her to. Not that I have anything against the other winners(Shinichiro Miki ftw).
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Awards? Confused More like popularity contest...
Crystal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote
I noticed a large chunk of these VAs were born in the 80s . . . stupid seiyuu ageism. Not even the Oscars are this focused on younger people.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
I noticed a large chunk of these VAs were born in the 80s . . . stupid seiyuu ageism. Not even the Oscars are this focused on younger people.

There's 11 seiyuu awards.

Mitsuki Saiga was born in 1973
Shinichiro Miki was born in 1968
Daisuke Namikawa was born in 1976
Daisuke Ono was born in 1978
Kikuko Inoue was born in 1964 (and lets not pretend this award wasn't more a nod for her career overall than for those actual roles itself)
Yui Horie was born in 1976

4 other awards are for newcomers so if you count them as seiyuuu ageism you're a moron.

Miyuki Sawashiro is the only one born in the 80's, 85 to be precise, if you've experienced her work you know she's good, one of the best going today. I actually think her listed roles for winning are amongst her weakest in the last few years though..

Anyway in short, you're an idiot.

Last edited by Westlo on Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
AckIsBack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad Mitsuki Saiga won! Very Happy I wanted it to be either her, or Katsuyuki Konishi, so I'm very happy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:37 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
The Overseas Fan Award went to Saiga Mitsuki? I looked at her resumé and can't for the life of me figure out what shows/characters of hers made such a big impression outside Japan. Perhaps others here can enlighten me?

Don't forget overseas doesn't equal those who download the latest fansubs. Somew of us wait patiently for a licence so we ARE 2-3 yrs behind what's current in Japan. Tsukasa/.hack, Wolfram/Kyo Kara Maoh, Makubex/Getbackers, Jing/King of Bandits Jing, Robert Hayden/Law of Ueki, Natsuo/Loveless, Kyousuke/SoulTaker--all were excellent. She's one of the better gals that do guy voices. I could almost believe she's a dude pretending to be a chick to be able to do guy voices so well (Victor Victoria). She is really amazing & has been on my short list of female VA's who can influence me to buy a title since probably ADV released GetBackers (not that she's the reason I bought GetBackers). Romi Paku's good, but she doesn't impress me like Saiga does.

It's nice to see Masayo Onosaka getting some attention even if it isnt' exactly for his VA work. He's been kicking around long enough & does an excellent comedic performance.

Quote:
Glad Daisuke Ono got the award (did Tomokazu Sugita get anything at all anywhere? he should be getting Lifetime Achievements by now).

He fgfot best supporting last year.
As for lifetime achievement, I'd pull for many, many, many others.
Miki, Tomokazu or Toshihiko Seki, Kikuko or Kazuhiko Inoue, Kappei Yamaguchi, Kazuki Yao, Akira Ishida or Takehito Koyasu long before Sugita. Actually Lifetime Achievement puts one more in mind of those who have been around far longer like Genda, Mayumi Tanaka, Jyrouta Kosugi, Jouji Yanami, Jouji Nakata, Bin Shimada, Hidekatsu Shibata, or Hideyuki Hori.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, I loved Saiga Mitsuki in Toward the Terra. ^^

I'm glad she won an award even if this year I forgot to vote.

P.S. She played a part in the second Darker than Black season, too, and that could be the reason many people voted for her, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Shinichiro Miki's Roy Mustang is pretty good, though it took me a bit to get used to, since I was so used to Toru Okawa. Now I like their Roys equally. I'm glad he won an award.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2