• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fantagraphics Adds Moto Hagio's A Drunken Dream

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KrebMarkt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:16 am Reply with quote
Matt Thorn posted the cover and the table of content: http://matt-thorn.com/wordpress/?p=415
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Laughing

No offence, but I had to laugh a little at how many people here were ignorant of Fantagraphics' existence. The COMPLETE PEANUTS reprints? Daniel Clowes' comics like... GHOST WORLD? Anyone?

These guys have been a major player in the comics world for many years, both alternative and mainstream (especially with their PEANUTS reprints) and especially notable for much of the past 10-15 years.

I'm actually surprised it took them so long to get into non-hentai manga. The Comics Journal certainly has upped their manga IQ extensively over the past 10 years too.

Bottom line is, they know their comics. In fact, the worst accusation you could level at Fantagraphics is that they are elitist comics snobs. Some of you really need to check out the comics world outside of anime and manga.

Quote:
Although I don't know much about Hagio, it's interesting that Fantagraphics is publishing manga by Shogakukan. I had thought Viz was the big Shogakukan outlet.

Hagio is historically important to the manga world, but her stuff is not really to current mainstream tastes like what Viz puts out. She is old-school. This is right up Fantagraphics' alley of showcasing alternative or "historically important" artifacts of the comics world.
KrebMarkt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people are still wondering why Shogakukan hasn't done it with Viz Media, their weapon of massive publishing.

I think that the great old & neglected series suit better publishers like Fantagraphics in term of print run and publishing quality. Fantagraphics will certainly pay translators at higher rate than Viz Media.

All i hope is they could keep the momentum because there is a long way until July and they still need to organize the presence of their new manga line on Internet better. Fantagraphics website as it's now won't be enough certainly.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
KrebMarkt wrote:
All i hope is they could keep the momentum because there is a long way until July and they still need to organize the presence of their new manga line on Internet better. Fantagraphics website as it's now won't be enough certainly.
There is that to consider, but Fantagraphics will likely be targeting the indie/art comics crowd more with these releases. It's certainly worked for Drawn and Quarterly (possibly Vertical?) with their releases, which is far more promising than the usual fickle manga audience here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2