• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy: K-On! Prop Plus Petit Trading Figures

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:07 am Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
Or 5 of the figures (with doubles) appear in every whole box, and only two change between each, so you'd need at least 3 entire boxes to finish a set.

Wow, that's a sneaky underhanded trick. I wouldn't mind if I just felt like getting one and I don't care to collect them. I'd probably try for one of these, as sometimes I feel like getting a figurine from a particular series but I don't care what character it is, but they would purposely skew the rarity of these things that much just to purposely screw with the collectors who buy them wholesale?

It sounds like the sort of thing that would wreck a business if word got out. A competitor could establish oneself by pointing out that they don't do this. Better yet, get rid of the rarity altogether.

It's the very reason why players of the Pokémon Trading Card Game, up until last year, would import most of their cards from Japan: The booster packs in Japan were bleeding with all sorts of rare cards that are a lot rarer in America. A recent example is how every third Japanese pack contains a "Pokémon Lv.X" whereas they only show up in about every 36th American pack. (They stopped importing the cards so often because the American tournament organization banned Japanese cards.)
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
First, I find your anecdotal escapades about collecting imaginative and fun reading. I wonder if the K-ON box color is as poached shrimpy pink as half the barfy painted motels in southern Arizona?
Second, re collecting a lot of sales operatives do this, both here and abroad. From a reseller point of view it is irritating to have 1 cherry-picker want the rarest item for rock-bottom cost, below your wholesale cost even! Not all resellers have the optimal opportunity to cherry-pick. Part of the cost of doing business is getting suckered just like the collector amassing a lot of duplication while trying to assemble the entire set or locate that oh-so-rare figurine for your best customer.
My experience in the diecast truck as well as the model railroad collectible hobby certain wholesalers excel at bait-and-switch while others are honest and straightforward. A reseller, like a collector, can be promised or reassured that a pre-order, pre-sold basis will guarantee item(s) availability. Don't count on it. Pre-order can turn into either hell or purgatory for a wholesaler as well as reseller aka "the backorder". This order situation can take on a carbon shelf-life of its own. Many entrepreneurial collectors with financial backing are now cutting deals and buying large blocks of product from manufacturers for internet resale even before traditional wholesalers or resellers can get access.
Soooo, if you are intent upon becoming a materialist and/or collector, like it or not, get ready for side-stepping some of the unwritten rules in the game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2