• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Demon King Daimaō (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miranox

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 is out and things are moving quickly as usual. This pretty much confirms that there aren't enough episodes for the show to pace itself better. I don't mind it though. After Code Geass' pacing nothing will surprise me anymore.

I haven't seen many "ecchi" or harem series so I could be wrong, but I think Sai Akuto is the best protagonist a show of this type has ever had. He's smart, tactful, kind and never boring. He can also be a badass when he needs to. The show wouldn't be half as good without him.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Agreeance on Sai being several notches above your standard harem lead. The show even gives him a somewhat logical reason for being awkward around girls (instead of the standard issue harem lead awkwardness). Part of his genuine "nice guy" character is that he treats girls respectfully and in his view having casual sex would be immoral. Worst. Demon. Lord. Ever!
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Sai is a pimp. This cannot be denied. He's also likeable which makes him an awesome harem lead

Goddamn, why is this only 12 episodes? It's got so much to offer beyond that.

spoiler[-Oh wow, that sea cucumber scene(see what I just did there?) More importantly though, why are panties censored but like full butt shots and...sea cucumbers apparently aren't? I mean, it doesn't make any sense. Well, at least we got some Korone time. A full episode about her is good enough.

-Is this plot I'm seeing? What a concept for such a short series. Anyway, I don't think Akuto should pick Keena. Please pick Junko. I don't really have a problem with Keena but I like Junko more so he should go that route.

-When the episode ended I literally was screaming "FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...."]
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:16 am Reply with quote
Still enjoying the show though its also still moving way too fast. That cliffhanger ending sort of pissed me off as well.
The Dreaming Void

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
Still enjoying the show though its also still moving way too fast. That cliffhanger ending sort of pissed me off as well.

who didn't get pissed off -.-
i'm kinda got a flashback from sora no otoshimono when spoiler[Ikaros was shot], weird, but yeah...korone -> robot-like person(?) -> spoiler[will probably not be killed that easily...]
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Such an odd show, I can't tell if the sudden tone shifts are supposed to be serious or humorous.

spoiler[I mean, I REALLY do not like cackling bad guys that wax rhapsodic about how great and awesome their evil is. And I'm not all that wild about good guys with bulging muscles testing the limits of their clothing's fabrics who expound on how they have suddenly figured out how to foil the bad guy's weapon that was just kicking his butt.] but it was done so suddenly and clashes so badly with the light-hearted aspects of the show that I'm not sure I was supposed to take it seriously.

See, I think the show runners aren't sure how to handle it either. They want it to be everything at once but don't know how to meld the comedy, action and drama together very well so it comes off as ironic. Or they're trying to be absurd without actually ruining the action so you're left confused as to what reaction you're supposed to have.

spoiler[I want to laugh at the ridiculous Mister X, but he actually does pose a threat and it's important how he is defeated.
And then we have Mighty Morphin Kamen-Guyver Brave. It's an important development, he brings important skills... but are we really supposed to take THAT seriously?]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:32 am Reply with quote
Man, I thought the latest episode was the worst. Just ridiculously rushed even compared to the episodes before it. It just didn't give the proper time for anything to flesh out properly and I was left feeling incredibly underwhelmed.
The Dreaming Void

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
Man, I thought the latest episode was the worst. Just ridiculously rushed even compared to the episodes before it. It just didn't give the proper time for anything to flesh out properly and I was left feeling incredibly underwhelmed.

i had to stop at about 6 minutes because of the sudden melodramatic stuff which made no sense whatsoever...still have to watch the rest...
Miranox

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
It's getting harder and harder to understand where the story is going. spoiler[Hiroshi now has some high-tech sword thingy that transforms him into a goofy-looking Iron Man so he can play superhero in his spare time. Uh, I don't get it. Finding that dragon earlier made sense but this is just silly. Next I suppose Keena (red hair girl) will find a sacred pendant that will turn her into Sailor Moon.] The ending is funny but most of this episode is pretty weak.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
This last episode was an awful move. Turning spoiler[Excalibur] into a mere bracelet that eventually turns into a Casshern-like armor didn't really fit in, even though there is an android around. Furthermore, he's gonna play Spider-Man and side his enemy who's also his best friend, while keeping his identity hidden.
And what is up with Akuto's body? There should be a limit to exaggeration... it felt like watching a 17-year-old girl with a 1 meter long pair of breasts. Simply doesn't fit the character's stature, or age.
Definitely the worst episode so far, and it came like 2 episodes after my favorite.
Mr. Gruntsworthy

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I can agree with your assessments... but it's so f***ed up I actually quite like it!
Miranox

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Decent action in episode 9. Finally we get a good 23 minutes with no more stupid subplots, just straight action and comedy. The number of antagonists increases again but the more the merrier I say.

We've seen some pretty weak episodes so far. I still think this series is much better than a standard harem anime, though it would benefit a lot from having a full season and less fanservice.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:43 am Reply with quote
Was I the only person impressed by that tree-teleporter thing? Seriously, I couldn't figure what he was doing until he actually entered it. I thought that tree was originally a monster he was supposedly awakening to, eh, what was it again? Fly to the school or something, perhaps.

Did I already mention that I'm really enjoying the opening? Because I am.

This was a pretty good episode after all. Indeed, man.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:12 am Reply with quote
I don't have much to say, but I am still enjoying it.
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:39 am Reply with quote
Thought ep. 9 was just a little less worse than the one that introduced Braver, but still kind of bad. It started out ok, but went into a major unnecessary rush again halfway through. This series really needs to allow itself to breath.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7