• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Diabolical Ruh-minations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:03 am Reply with quote
What sent Zac's denial of the existence of Kissxsis really over the top was how he said it without even a hint of humor. I could imagine him sitting there during the recording session with a straight face.
Dolza

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I just got around to listening to this episode. Good show! I am looking forward to reading Brian's work.
Normally I stop listening when Zac says "Well that's our show.." but this time I am glad I kept it going for the few extra seconds. Best laugh I had all day. Laughing
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, you are arguing with the guy who jumps around in a V for Vendetta costume at anime conventions and yells about Evangelion.

Quote:
You could also go down to Mann's Chinese Theater and get into a debate about ingrained subconscious misogyny in Marvel Comics with the guy wearing the top half of a Spiderman costume and blue sweatpants.

"Who's stupid enough steal from us?"
"Two-bit whack-job wears a cheap purple suit and make-up. He's not the problem- he's a nobody..."
--The Dark Knight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iNRCLH2Jzs

"Why can't a man walk down the street in a Guy Fawkes costume, without being called a madman?"

Its sort of a commentary you see: are my statements somehow worthless because I dress outlandishly? If so, inversely, does that mean that statements made by "experts" dressed in full suit and tie....are automatically "correct"?

Or is this all just about "keeping up appearances", and we blindly accepted what Napier, Jaffe, and all the rest said for so many years...because they presented them to us by in effect, "cosplaying" as authority figures?

The V costume thing is my way of holding up a sign and saying "I'm not playing that game, I'm not trying to trick you into believing what I say because of my credentials (though I am a PhD student), look at me, I'm one of *you*, this Vicious Caberet..."

Quote:
Because Shinji's actions are so self-destructive and he seems happy at the end with his declaration of "I am me. My life is worth living," you assume he has come to terms with reality. You are sadly mistaken. That's actually a very Western sentiment, although it is present in a lot of anime, it isn't in EVA, not at all.

But…the final scene of Evangelion is Asuka saying “Kimochi warui” (How disgusting). As for the cliffanger TV ending, it is impossible to reconcile with the narrative arc of the rest of the series as the proper “conclusion”. He comes to terms with reality in End of Evangelion. Yes, by End of Eva he pretty much states that “the world’s still this scary place, I don’t know what I’m doing, I’ve fixed absolutely nothing, but now I have the courage to go out and face it and try to improve myself”

Quote:
He has really come to terms with the assertions of the collective mind after Third Impact. What does the collective mind say? I refer you to approximately two straight episodes of textbook postmodern existentialist theory. The essential conclusions:

Are you…certain? In End of Evangelion it was rather clear that Shinji rejected “the collective mind”; he couldn’t stand the lack of individuality, and chose to reject it outright. That wasn’t coming to terms with it.

Quote:
1. "There are as many truths as there are people and all are equal because of their 'trueness' to that individual." (I know that's not a word, but I'm trying to keep it simple.)
2. "Truth is distinct from reality because reality shapes your truth but doesn't actually matter. Your perception of reality matters."
3. "This perception of reality is fragile and can be changed at any time. Once perception of reality is changed, truth is changed, and this enables the individual to alter reality."

Postmodern existentialism, ladies and gentlemen. I wish it really were that simple, but there's more to it that would take pages of nonsense upon nonsense to extrapolate.

Well…you have quoted a long piece from “textbook postmodern existentialist theory”, just as Taliesin Jaffe quotes long sections of the Kabbalah and believes this proves that “Eva is about Kabbalah”

I’m not condoning or condemning, but you haven’t really proven your argument yet one way or the other. I…”comprehend” that you know what existentialism is: can you prove that Eva was in any way an existentialist work?

Evangelion was an *anti*-existentialist work, *anti*-post-modernist.

Quote:
Shinji comes to terms with himself not because his life is worth living...honestly, all evidence suggests otherwise at this point, he has severe changes to make. Still, Shinji comes to terms with himself because "he wants to continue living in the world and be himself." Through that "truth," which he has created, he manifests a reality that is pleasing to him and can say "My life is worth living here," thus actualizing it and making it true. His life is not worth living because of some outside determiner of its value, but because of his essential ego, his will to live. If he says he is not worthless, then it will be so.

Throwing a lot of terms around but….Shinji doesn’t “manifest a reality that is pleasing to him” – that’s a fantasy, and all fantasy isn’t “real” you see. So he decides to just turn off Instrumentality and go back to a the post-apocalyptic Real World, because he knows its “real”

He didn’t instantly “create” anything via Instrumentality – he just changed the attitude with which he is going to face life.

Quote:
Like I said, I don't quite remember what Napier wrote, but she at least has it closer than you do, actually. Take the text (and the subtext) for what it is, not what you would like it to be.

…pot calling the kettle black, Napier is the one who inserted her own existentialist, post-modern opinions into a show that was NOTHING like that. “I don’t remember the article but I know it was better than yours”…is a logical fallacy.

Quote:
that's WHY I hate Evangelion. In many other ways it's brilliant and I would like to say I thoroughly enjoy it, but things like that message and the ludicrous ep. 24 just keep me from anything but abhorring it.

You…hate Evangelion? I thought you wanted to write a book on it? No, that was never the message of Eva, therefore there is nothing to hate.

Quote:
Those last two episodes are really all you need, but there's plenty of little scenes in before that throughout the series. Your analysis is off because you want something for Shinji that just isn't gonna happen until maybe EoE, where Anno once again tweaked his philosophy a bit, and that's still a massive maybe.

Stop championing the clip show TV ending: End of Eva is what they intended. You cannot *possibly* judge the entire series by endlessly rewatching the two final episodes which are best described as a “dream sequence”

Its quite simple: Shinji spends the whole series getting told that he “mustn’t run away”…then the TV ending basically tells him to embrace Instrumentality, which is fantasy, and thus “running away”. The TV ending doesn't fit where the story was going, and thus shouldn't be the basis for understanding of it. Instrumentality is nothing more than a big metaphor for when he tunes out the world with his headphones.

Quote:
As someone who has actually taken Napier's class

…what makes you think I haven’t?

Quote:
If you disagree with one scholar's analysis, the best antidote is to provide a better analysis. Write a book, or submit an article to Mechademia. The community will appreciate you for adding constructively to the debate.

…why chase after the Mechademia crowd like their lapdogs? On an academic level, its not really that great and for every good article, there’s yet another one about “sexual imagery”; Ponder that for a minute: why waste time trying to impress Mechademia, who we disagree with anyway? That inherently treats them like the authority figures and “experts” which they really have no objective claim to being. They’re simply the first to try. We should be doing our own things.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
My apologies for necroing a 3+ month old thread, but uh...what ever happened to Brian Ruh's column? I never saw it show up and it's not listed anywhere. Did it fall through or is it still in the works or what? I was looking forward to it.

Sorry if this has been explained elsewhere. I'm behind on ANNcast and not the most vigilant person in the world.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Actually I was wondering the same thing. What ever happened?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
Actually I was wondering the same thing. What ever happened?

It's still happening, it's just been delayed; we launched a bunch of new stuff, and decided to hold on to that one for a bit longer. It'll be either later this month or early next month.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the answer
Maryohki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! Thanks for the answer, and I'm glad to hear it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6