• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Supporting Character Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
The real question is did the final vote being allowed even alter the mini game results with the winners placement? If not then there's nothing to complain about. If it did then I say it's between Key and the winners to determine how to handle things.

I don't know for sure, but given how Dorcas_Aurelia did not shoot mow123 down, I would say yeah, Olliff would have won in the event of a Balalaika-Kisuke draw.

Last edited by dtm42 on Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
RHachicho

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:01 am Reply with quote
Personally I really think it's a bad idea to get riled up over who get's the prizes. So key won the prize because of his judgement call? that does not necessarily mean the judgement call was suspect. Indeed if we want to start doubting peoples intentions it wont stop and I am sure you yourself will come under fire before it's over dtm not that I am accusing you of anything just saying that if we start hurling accusations ... And you have to admit a clean winner is a more desirable outcome than a draw. Hell you could accuse me of co conspiracy by even making this argument if you had a truly refined sense of paranoia. It's not as if this tournament has or ever will be regulated enough to prevent that kind of shenanigans. So I suggest just leave well enough alone, look forward to the tournaments and don't care too much about who gets the podium spots Smile If Key had a history of strange coincidences like this I could understand but to my knowledge he dousn't. And it's not as if marginally late votes haven't been counted before. I remember seeing it twice and I wasn't looking for it or anything.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:45 am Reply with quote
Oddly enough, I watched Black Lagoon after the early rounds - just in time to help eliminate Maes Hughes.

I've also started watching Excel Saga (though not because of this tournament) and may have voted for the one or other of the characters nominated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:47 am Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
And it's not as if marginally late votes haven't been counted before. I remember seeing it twice and I wasn't looking for it or anything.

As far as I remember, those didn't change the outcome of a matchup, let alone decided on just who would win the whole shebang.

RHachicho wrote:
Hell you could accuse me of co conspiracy by even making this argument if you had a truly refined sense of paranoia.

Paranoia? Huh. Don't think I don't know about the secret deal you and Key made to split the money after you promised you'd help him. You think "Private Message" means what it says, that no-one else can read it, but that's wrong. I also know about all your dealings with the Community Forum Mafia; for heaven's sake, take an electronic cryptography course.

Just joking.
Olliff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:16 am Reply with quote
I really was planning on not posting about this, but the prizes aren't the reason why I like or participate in these tournaments. For me at least it is the fun, the competitive nature of it, and the debate. The mini-game does a lot to enhance those aspects that I enjoy about these tourneys, but at least to me the money attached isn't really what matters. I think all of these back and forth goes against the spirit of why we have these things in the first place. A decision will be made, and I will accept it because I trust Key and Dorcas_Aurelia, simple as that. The only thing that annoys me is that I am going to have wait longer for the results now.

As for the the next tournament that's something that I do care about. I even remember that Key had an idea of how he could sell the Most Badass tournament, an idea that has been shot down almost as many times as you count on one hand. I personally think we should give that one a shot, but I will be open to other ideas too.

As for the questions, I really have been motivated to re-watch shows I haven't seen in a long time rather than watch anything new. I haven't watched Bleach in years, and the same thing can be said about many of the other shows that have had top rated characters in this tourney. I had a lot of fun and there were a lot of exciting moments. A big thank you to everyone that helped; that means you ccdx, Key, and Dorcas_Aurelia. Without you none of this would be possible. As for characters that should have been included I think the very nature of this tournament had many gray areas and cases could potentially be made for hundreds of characters, and conversely cases could be made against hundreds of characters. The next tournament should have qualifying criteria that is less vague. As for the middle question, yes, but I could easily talk for over a page on that question alone. I think I was a little too harsh on Tanda, and perhaps a little to nice to Lt. Yamamoto as my biggest misgivings.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:21 am Reply with quote

Anyway, I think I know what I'm going to do, this will probably be sorted by tomorrow at the latest.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:55 am Reply with quote
Think it might be a good idea to narrow down tournament brackets to just 64 characters now? I must admit that it's now starting to get exhausting having 128-character tournaments.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:24 am Reply with quote
1) Nope

2) Nope

3) I agree with Rhachicho, Xellos deserved to be here. Other than Xellos, I cannot think of anyone else who wasn't nominated and could be a strong contender. However, I can think of two characters that are at least third round material, but got knocked out because they are from less popular series: Mandoza from the Mysterious Cities of Gold and Jack from Pandora Hearts.

Psycho 101 wrote:

As for the Fall preview guide Key I say just take the time needed for it and wait until you're done before the next one starts. I don't think an extra 2 or 3 weeks will hurt anyone. I'd personally rather wait and make sure you can spear head it as you always do a good job.

I agree, the next tournament can be postponed for these 2-3 weeks, it's not a problem.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Think it might be a good idea to narrow down tournament brackets to just 64 characters now? I must admit that it's now starting to get exhausting having 128-character tournaments.

I still agree with this solution. Yes, we'll see even more worthy characters not make it but it will guarantee that those who are in have stronger merits than we've necessarily had in the past right from round one onwards.

I'll see how Biggest Badass is being sold but I still really don't have high interest in that one. Though I don't have any other ideas off the top of my head since most of the ones I came up with lately were pretty much covered in this one.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:

I still agree with this solution. Yes, we'll see even more worthy characters not make it but it will guarantee that those who are in have stronger merits than we've necessarily had in the past right from round one onwards.

I'll see how Biggest Badass is being sold but I still really don't have high interest in that one. Though I don't have any other ideas off the top of my head since most of the ones I came up with lately were pretty much covered in this one.

or change how the you get to the 64 level.
1. A second level of the nominations process in which a very large pool is set and presented from which participants have to list an unordered top 10/20/32/64 and only the top 64/128 go on.
(Con- this would definitely turn into a popularity contest, unknowns would be the ones to go... but isn't that always the case?)
2. or a 192 level bracket with a three character bracket to begin with and then maybe a shuffle. Knocking out either the low scorer for a 128 shuffled tournament or only keeping the top scorer for a 64 tournament.
(Con- Could still result in uneven three character brackets with three weak characters in one and three strong in another, with the possibility of possibly knocking out two strong opponents in an initial round?)
3. Double elimination tournament. Fairer, but....
(Con - complicated, takes longer)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:04 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:

I think they're best left as is. Often there are just so many good choices to add into these tournaments that even at 128 people get left out. I think having them be 128 also gives some of the lesser known characters a chance to shine. And also give their respective series more attention then simply using the top front runners. Sure it takes a bit longer but that's also more fun I think. Seeing who might surprise ya and move on to take on a front runner as the under dog.
Olliff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:58 am Reply with quote
I agree with Pyscho101. A smaller tournament would prevent worthy candidates from obscure shows from even participating. Gatchaman had maybe 2 to 4 nominations, but they proved their worth, and made it quite fair in the Best Organization/Team tournament. I also am a big fan of the epic feel that these tournaments have, and it would have to take a heck of a good argument to make me want to go against tradition on this issue.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Olliff wrote:
I agree with Pyscho101. A smaller tournament would prevent worthy candidates from obscure shows from even participating. Gatchaman had maybe 2 to 4 nominations, but they proved their worth, and made it quite fair in the Best Organization/Team tournament. I also am a big fan of the epic feel that these tournaments have, and it would have to take a heck of a good argument to make me want to go against tradition on this issue.

The better question is would others be willing to be committed to future tourneys if they held up for so long with the 128 participant count. Not sure if anyone's noticed, but there has been a good-sized drop in the average number of voters in the past couple tournaments (compared to Best Hero tourney where we were pulling in 30-40 votes at a number of points, First Round breaking a record for most number of voters) where some rounds, we're lucky enough to hit 20 votes and I think part of it has to do with people losing interest in tournament participation from the tourneys dragging on for so long. Sixty-four characters might seem a bit steep to choose from. But I believe it would allow for an easier narrowing down of worthy characters in the nominations and with the tournament being less dragged out, we could draw in more voters to commit to an entire tournament.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I think it had more to do with this particular tournament being less than interesting, at least to some people such as me. I only popped in to vote in the semifinals and finals because I happened to notice that Balalaika and Tanda were still hanging on there, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

I also disagree with limiting the tournaments to mere 64, because it would limit the number of worthy participants.

Last edited by Generic #757858 on Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Yes^^ Everyone has a favorite hero and every series has one, people have to think harder on Teams and Supporting characters. Who wants to think hard if they don't have to?.I think a "Badass" category could excite a wider spectrum again.
...although, it truthfully might lose my interest eventually.

and yes,. Restrictions would have to be made in initial nominations, such as limiting a series to two allowed characters instead of three, a very harsh restriction in a category like "badass" in which some series are loaded with possible candidates.
For instance, can all Dragonball fans agree who the two definitive badasses are in such a show?

Also, a small suggestion for Key:
Could you maybe add a link to previous tournament threads in the first thread of this and future tourney threads? Hearing talk about the previous ones makes me curious but searching for them on this forum is a bitch. If only the search function allowed for searching thread titles only.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 71 of 73