• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto is 5th Shueisha Manga with 100 Million+ Copies in Print

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KenzoTenma1984

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Spaceman-Spiff wrote:
braves wrote:
Whoa. Going by the numbers, it's really only a matter of time before we see Kochira Katsushika-ku Kamearikouen-mae Hashutsujo* released over here in the states. Right? Razz

*what an obscenely long title.

I doubt that.

Looking at the total sales / volume count:

Completed Series:
- Slam Dunk, 114M / 31 = 3.7 (2008 numbers)
- Dragon Ball: 152M / 42 vols = 3.6

On-going Series:
- One Piece: 189M / 57 vols = 3.3
- Naruto: 100M / 50 vols = 2.0
- KochiKame, 150M / 168 vols = 0.9

So, Kochikame's numbers per volume is not that high. Besides, taking a 160+ vols project is a huge commitment.

For those who are interested in position 6 and above, you can see the 2008 results (probably won't be much different): http://comipress.com/article/2008/12/31/3733

Those sales numbers counts all editions. Dragon ball has 42 tankoubons volumes + 34 perfects editions so it's more like 152M/ 76 volumes = 2M. Which is only an average because I believe the tankonbon editions must have shipped much more than the perfect edition. There have been also many others editions for Dragon Ball in Japan like anime comics too but I don't know if those ones are counted on the total volume sales too.

Same for Slam Dunk there have been 31 tankonbon editions and 24 deluxe ones.
Taker128

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Spaceman-Spiff wrote:
braves wrote:
Whoa. Going by the numbers, it's really only a matter of time before we see Kochira Katsushika-ku Kamearikouen-mae Hashutsujo* released over here in the states. Right? Razz

*what an obscenely long title.

I doubt that.

Looking at the total sales / volume count:

Completed Series:
- Slam Dunk, 114M / 31 = 3.7 (2008 numbers)
- Dragon Ball: 152M / 42 vols = 3.6

On-going Series:
- One Piece: 189M / 57 vols = 3.3
- Naruto: 100M / 50 vols = 2.0
- KochiKame, 150M / 168 vols = 0.9

So, Kochikame's numbers per volume is not that high. Besides, taking a 160+ vols project is a huge commitment.

For those who are interested in position 6 and above, you can see the 2008 results (probably won't be much different): http://comipress.com/article/2008/12/31/3733

Any for series that are currently still go on like Naruto and One Piece, you usually can safely add at least another 30% to it since the is usually a huge sale spike during and first couple years when a series end.

For Example, DB's first print is roughly about 2 million while is was still serialized, so it gains about 1.6 million addtional copies from subsequent re-prints. So you can expect both Naruto and OP have higher per volume average when everything is all say and done.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Spaceman-Spiff wrote:
I doubt that. <snip>

It was just a joke, hence the "Razz" smiley....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Way to go One Piece! That one has 182 million copies. That's really good. I was surprised Naruto is up on that list now too. I guess that goes to show that Naruto can't be that bad. But the length of it...How my head spins. Anime dazed

Someone mentioned Bleach on here? Well, so far I have only read volumes 1-14, so I can't say if it's really bad because I haven't read that much, but those other Shueisha series are probably more popular because they have wider ranges of audiences.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

I own all 47 currently released English volumes plus the fanbook. Does that count?

My ultimate goal is to own 2 copies of every manga I own now; one to read/have as a "collectible" in my own way, and the other to share with friends.

I gotta say, congrats to Kishimoto for being able to count himself amongst such prolific and iconic comics creators.

Admittedly I have little knowledge of Slam Dunk and none whatsoever of Kochikame, but all the same I'm glad these series have touched so many people's lives.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

I own all 47 currently released English volumes plus the fanbook. Does that count?

My ultimate goal is to own 2 copies of every manga I own now; one to read/have as a "collectible" in my own way, and the other to share with friends.

I gotta say, congrats to Kishimoto for being able to count himself amongst such prolific and iconic comics creators.

Admittedly I have little knowledge of Slam Dunk and none whatsoever of Kochikame, but all the same I'm glad these series have touched so many people's lives.

I just have one copy of each manga, and loan them out to people if they want to read them. The only series I've double dipped for are Azumanga Daioh, Magic Knight Rayearth, Cardcaptor Sakura (both soon to be triple dipping cause of the omnibus edition coming out in July)
Bell02

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
YuYuUrameshi wrote:
Any idea how far back the next bunch of titles are? For example, where would Bleach be on this list? 80 million?

no, that would be a shame for the industry... while the art of this manga is super sharp and has unique style and hardly can be topped, the content is horrible cliche and uninspired repeated mess ("a girl is captured, and others go to save her"... twice in row? What a shame for the "story")...

That's how I feel about Bleach too, but I think it will, probably in 5-10 years... Still, It may be ending, or it may not, but I still think it eventually will.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Bell02 wrote:
That's how I feel about Bleach too, but I think it will, probably in 5-10 years... Still, It may be ending, or it may not, but I still think it eventually will.

Ditto. As much as I love aspects of Bleach, and greatly admire Kubo's artistic skills, I wish more thought had been put into the story after the Soul Society arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2