• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: PW: Viz Media Lays Off Up to 60, Closes NY Branch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Damn, not more bad news! Hopefully this doesn't affect their release schedule. I certainly hope that those people are able to get new jobs.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
I certainly hope that those people are able to get new jobs.
Even if they do, most of them will be out of manga/anime, because its not like many firms are taking on many new staff. And the economy itself is not really booming.

In these kinds of businesses, many of them will have been in it for the love of the medium as well, which makes it doubly sad.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I would totally buy some more FMA manga volumes, but I don't have any extra money for it right now. And I don't have any money for Bleach DVDs either.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I really, really hope Viz pulls through. They're number one for a reason, hopefully this'll not mean that their Signature lineup and other lesser known series will suffer.

Guess it's time do some supporting!
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
It sucks, but they're still making enough sales ranks that they'll survive. They just aren't going to make the big money they used to right now.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:57 am Reply with quote
Just bought volumes 1 and 2 of Children of the Sea recently, which is awesome, btw. Hope the company is doing just fine. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:05 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
I really, really hope Viz pulls through. They're number one for a reason, hopefully this'll not mean that their Signature lineup and other lesser known series will suffer.

Guess it's time do some supporting!

For all we know, the IKKI and Signature series could be some of the more reliable sources of income, because they don't depend on money from fickle teenagers.

That would make a lot of sense, actually. Viz has been busy pumping money into IKKI for over a year now, despite lay-offs and restructuring. Yet, they're cutting corners with the shounen and shoujo series.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:06 am Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Alright, this is bad news, and I've already been worried about the industry over here for a while, but I won't seriously start freaking out until Funimation starts to have problems.

They won't. If anything, Viz going under would tighten their grip on the industry even more. Also, few people realize that Funimation does more than just anime. along with movies, they also distribute all of the CTV stuff, like "Degrassi" for instance.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:07 am Reply with quote
The manga fad is not what it once was............ Confused
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:27 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
For all we know, the IKKI and Signature series could be some of the more reliable sources of income, because they don't depend on money from fickle teenagers.

That would make a lot of sense, actually. Viz has been busy pumping money into IKKI for over a year now, despite lay-offs and restructuring. Yet, they're cutting corners with the shounen and shoujo series.

You might be right. They have certainly been pushing the Signature lineup and the volumes have consistently been high quality products, so it would stand to reason that it's profitable for Viz to cater to that particular audience. As a member of that demographic I very much hope that this is the case.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:51 am Reply with quote
Is this why they haven't released the second box set of Monster in 5 months and counting?
Brazzlefrazz

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:03 am Reply with quote
16 out of 24 series I'm collecting/have finished are from Viz, and I'm up to date on all but one. I'm planning on picking up two more series on the 18th. And then another whenever House of Five Leaves is released. Darn, and I need to pick up Ristorante Paradiso! Viz, if you die I'll kill you! And then I'll beat up some scanlation readers, and get beaten up by others.

I've got to agree that the Shonen Jump magazine is pretty lackluster though. I really only read it for the serialized manga, previews, and release dates. There's not much else in it that's worthwhile. To me at least. Even if they just threw in say, one full page colour pin up every month or two (with an advertisement on the other side, I hate it when there's something important on the other side of a pin up) that would improve it by leaps and bounds. Not to say that everyone who reads it wants to plaster their walls with anime pictures, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who would appreciate it.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Alright, this is bad news, and I've already been worried about the industry over here for a while, but I won't seriously start freaking out until Funimation starts to have problems.

They won't. If anything, Viz going under would tighten their grip on the industry even more. Also, few people realize that Funimation does more than just anime. along with movies, they also distribute all of the CTV stuff, like "Degrassi" for instance.

Actually, Funimation no longer distributes those CTV shows. I can't remember the name of the company that's on the box sets themselves, but Best Buy and others list the distributor as Platinum Disc now. Funimation has not been handling those shows for some time now.

Also, I think people should remember that Funimation and Navarre's entire publishing unit have been having sales declines for the past several consecutive quarters. In fact, Navarre did lay off several employees in the division, including some at Funimation, last year. So while Funimation is hardly in danger of closing shop, they aren't exactly thriving either.

I can't really see why people are surprised by this. It's been well documented that the nation's two largest book retailers have been having problems, and have cut back their manga ordering 20-30%. It only makes sense that this would affect Viz. I think it's actually a bit more surprising that they didn't have these layoffs sooner, as it's unlikely that the manga market will recover much, even as the economy starts to.

I
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:39 am Reply with quote
Hum I hope their Signature line does well, almost everything I buy from Viz is in that line.

Viz is putting out more novels and one volume works that are very different from most of the manga released in the past. In fact so different that I was quite surprised when I checked their forthcoming list a month ago. I hope this works out for them.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:21 am Reply with quote
To all the people who got laid off or let go from the New York branch, I offer my sincere moral support and hope you will land on your feet somehow.

Unless some of them are the people behind the decision to censor a significant percentage of Viz's output (though it's highly unlikely). Phoquem, phoquem, the lot of 'em. They're the reason why I've kept boycotting the company, even after Trish Ledoux left. That's why they're short of one small sliver of their money. Maybe some other slivers as well because some others feel the same way; can't say for sure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6