• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-05-22]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote
Oh Willag... I similarly hate Chrono Crusade, but I come at it from a different angle than you. I'd not read the manga until after the anime, because people told me it was better. I actually digged Chrono Crusade, including episode 7 (I had no idea how much it radically altered the entire tone of the manga).

And then there was the ending. spoiler[Strong heroine gets turned into brainwashed cause of the Great Depression and WW2. World's most anticlimactic battle between the hero and the villain. And then none of it matters, because after they die, Aeon is somehow (?) still alive! Because this somehow (?) takes place in our continuity, even though I'm pretty sure history would remember if San Francisco was openly attacked by demons... But mostly I just hated how damn insulting that final scene was. Don't bother fighting evil kids, 'cause God's a dick and will make all your struggles pointless!]

Long story short, I call my desire to see the ending of a series before I buy it "Chrono Crusade syndrome."

Still, the most disappointing to me would be Beyond the Clouds/Place Promised or whatever you want to call that movie. First half is really beautiful and neat, and then after the time skip it has plot-holes you could drive a semi truck through and callously sidelines two of its three characters while making the third risk the entire bleeping universe for the sake of a girl he had a crush on when he was ten. Which might have been bearable had not seemingly the entire fandom declared this is a glorious masterpiece. Sure, it's pretty, evokes some emotions, and the first half really is good, but I wanted to throw something at the screen in anime club as the DVD credits rolled, I was so frustrated with the finale.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:19 am Reply with quote
I read the Chrono Crusade manga and have watched the anime and both are equally good-as they have different takes on the same story.
KariOhki

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
I always get happy when people agree with me on Prince of Darkness. I call it the movie that doesn't exist. It shares a plane of nonexistance with Lunar: Dragon Song -3-

That was my major disappointment, but I also didn't like the anime adaptation to Valkyria Chronicles, and my third is the Sakura Wars movie.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:36 am Reply with quote
KariOhki wrote:
I always get happy when people agree with me on Prince of Darkness. I call it the movie that doesn't exist. It shares a plane of nonexistance with Lunar: Dragon Song -3-

That was my major disappointment, but I also didn't like the anime adaptation to Valkyria Chronicles, and my third is the Sakura Wars movie.

Haha, to this day, I chuckle when I hear Lunar: Dragon Song 3. Just like Dragon warrior 4 for PS1. This is slightly off topic, but it's not every day I see someone actually talk about Lunar.

I am pretty sure there are some cliques here, but I know for one, I am not in them and am glad about that. I joined this site to learn more about anime and talk about anime. If this was a popularity themed forum, we would probably have ranks and numbers. Which I am really glad we don't because almost always someone's feelings get hurt in a situation like that.
INS Division 6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
"And then there are the people who are pretty diehard DVD collectors, who've gotten so used to every DVD they own having bilingual English/Japanese audio tracks that they're now feeling kind of cheated. Even though they might usually default to the subtitle track, the inclusion of a dub was a nice option to have that they no longer can depend on."

Thank you Brian, I think that is one of the best responses to the dub-sub debate. As a dvd collector I totally agree. I also love having the freedom to choose english or japanese. And if it's a show that I'm really interested in I will go back and watch the episodes subbed because I like to see what the US companies have changed in the script.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I actually really liked school days - it's just so crazy, it's kind of fun. It's so unrealistic, that I didn't find it depressing. It was a quick, amusing watch for me Very Happy

I HATED Chrono Crusade, though ... I was so disappointed in that anime. I had high hopes, but then ... blah. I feel like it tried too hard to be complicated for the sake of being complicated, and they were trying to throw in all this pointless religious symbolism that didn't necessarily fit. Plus, it was just full of plot holes. I was just confused after watching it ... plus the ending was a bummer :/ I'm glad I got it at a righstuf sale ... and then I sold it back to FYE Smile
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, so Brian's a local boy? Interesting.
Quote:
And if you multiply Show B by the cosine of Company A, and the sun is directly facing due East and it's 6:00 on a Tuesday, what will the temperature be in Prague?

Bologna sandwich... oh were you not writing the next Netflix radio ad script?

As to Funi's releases, all the examples given so far at least have time between compilations. However, what excuse is there for the Tsubasa Chronicles blu-sets? Season 1 comes out... and then Season 2 comes out along with the full series box on the same day (last I saw.) Oh yeah, and the combined set is like 60% of the total price for both separately. So barring an as-yet-unannounced trade-in, is this anything less than a middle finger to the folks who bought Season 1 in factory-upscaled-to-HD? Then again, I guess we could just see this as a sign sales of S1 were so bad they are trying to give away inventory.

Last edited by bglassbrook on Sat May 22, 2010 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stretch24

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I had heard that the final episode of School Days was extremely disturbing, and almost didn't watch it. But when I did, it didn't bother me all that much. The message I got was simply that one or more characters got what they had been asking for all along. As screwed-up as it turned out to be, there was something addictive about that show; I'm almost ashamed that I watched such a thing so loyally, since that will help its ratings be high and more of the same stuff get made.

One thing's for sure about Casshern Sins: the OP song rocks. But I was intrigued by the show at first, then it seemed to melt away into repetitive, boring episodes. Maybe it should have been a one-season series rather than two.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote
More hating on Vampire Knight, I see? Oh, well, I should know to expect it by now. Seriously though, if you don't like vampire romance stories and/or you can't make a connection to the three main characters, you probably won't like Vampire Knight. But it seems to me, most people don't really give it a chance and pass it off as another Twilight clone. (Which really makes me mad, since I think it's way better.) And yes, I'll admit, it takes a little while for the story to pick up but that's true of a lot of anime/manga.

Actually, I thought the anime was a bit of an improvement over the manga. Except for the ending of the second season and no, not because spoiler[ Yuuki went off with Kaname] but because they messed up the fight scene.

Of course, since I'm one of few people on ANN who like Vampire Knight, (and maybe the only one who likes the character of Zero), I'm probably posting to the wall, but I had to get this off my chest.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
I read the Chrono Crusade manga and have watched the anime and both are equally good-as they have different takes on the same story.

Yes: the good take and the awful take. :p

rinmackie wrote:
But it seems to me, most people don't really give it a chance and pass it off as another Twilight clone. (...) Of course, since I'm one of few people on ANN who like Vampire Knight, (and maybe the only one who likes the character of Zero), I'm probably posting to the wall, but I had to get this off my chest.

No, it's not a Twilight clone, because among other things its vampires actually act like real vampires. That's probably why it has an edge over it in my book. It has its own problems, but that's anther story. Mostly it just draaaaaags. This gets worse if you're bad and read the chapters as they come out, because you see how little happens every month. I quit doing that for just that reason, and plan to stick to the nice legal releases like a good little fangirl.

And yes, Kaname sucks. I really hate that guy. Zero, for all his wangst, is at least not a manipulative bastard.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the support, vash! Yeah, you're right, it does have a tendency to drag but the overall story is pretty good so far, and it is better than Twilight. Being able to connect with one of the main characters does help; seriously if anything had happened to Zero, I'm not sure I'd still be interested in Vampire Knight. He makes the story for me!
TheRoyalFamily

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I know I said last week that I was too embarrassed to say my most disappointing manga, so I guess I'll put some others:

Kannazuki no Miko - I was expecting a yuri show. What I got was some crazy bad mecha show with crap villains, and a love triangle, the least important part being the yuri part. Until the very end when they are suddenly on the moon. What?

Most manga-to-anime adaptations that I've seen have been disappointments. But the biggest would have to be Negima! and Love Hina. Negima! wasn't so bad until you find out spoiler[Asuna's gonna die.] Talk about changing the mood. And the resolution was just junk. And the Love Hina anime is just bad all around.

Chrono Crusade was also especially disappointing. In addition to what has been already said, the major thing for me was how they changed the "demons=spoiler[aliens]," which made sense, to "demons=demons," which almost never makes any sense when used in the Judeo-Christian sort of way, and certainly doesn't in this show.

Shadow Star Narutaru was disappointing, but only because it doesn't go past the point that the manga stopped being translated at Sad

[quote="Zalis116"]
Quote:

I'm tempted to go with RahXephon for the title of "most disappointing." I mean, I normally like harem comedies to some extent, but RX really wasted its potential by spending too much time on its secondary components: boring mecha battles and nonsensical psuedo-Aztec-whatever mysticism.

Surely you jest. Rahxephon was anything but a harem comedy. You could call it a harem I guess (dude does have like three girlfriends), but comedy, no. It's an Eva clone. The mecha, "philosophy," and psudo-Aztec stuff were kinda the point. Kinda like what NGE would have been if Shinji wasn't a complete wanker.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Brian, you left out another good reason why some people prefer dubs over subs, and that is for medical reasons. At my age my eyes simply can't focus on the script and then watch the action at the same time. I end up doing constant pauses, and rewinds and that is just too annoying to bother, and I'm sure there are some with other visual impairments that restrict them watching subs, so it's not all simply just a choice thing.

On the topic of waiting for the boxsets. I've got two series I started buying as singles, that are still waiting to be completed because one company decided to combine the whole series into a boxset before the singles were completely released, so now I would have to buy the boxset to get the last disc of a 5 disc set leaving me with 4 duplicate and redundant discs to get rid of., no thanks. The other the company decided to pull out of the UK market with no warning, and no sign of them coming back or the licence being picked up by one of our very few R2 distributors. Yeah, thanks for that. Mad So with those reminders on my shelf, is it any wonder that we wait for the complete series to be released, or the boxset to come out? Burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice.............. Wink

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sat May 22, 2010 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The 2nd would be Murder Princess. It's characters look like they belong on t-shirts in Hot Topic.

Not as much as the characters of Death Note.
rubixcubd60

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Quote:
The 2nd would be Murder Princess. It's characters look like they belong on t-shirts in Hot Topic.

Not as much as the characters of Death Note.

I'm pretty sure there are Death Note shirts in Hot Topic...

I think the biggest disappointment in anime for me was the second DBZ movie which is saying a lot since shonen and DB in particular are basically crack for me. The fights just felt so uninspired and it lacked any of the series charm.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5