• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-05-22]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
Anime_Rapture wrote:
the Rancorous wrote:
Mr. Jarin pretty much mirrors my own view on Gurren Lagaan, except that I thought the battle scenes were one of the worst features of it. Whoever yells the loudest wins; "my mecha can be more ridiculous than your mecha!" And then they had to throw in that tiresome "humanity is evil" theme Rolling Eyes .
And yeah, Kamina was the most annoying character of the show rivaled only by 'needlessly flamboyant gay guy' (a character type that really needs to vanish or be restricted to just comedy stuff). I still have to shake my head whenever I see people going spoiler["OMG! Kamina died?! So unexpected and tragic!!!"] Are you serious? How could you not have seen that coming? It was obvious from ep 2 that was going to happen.

I dunno, I don't tend to do mecha anime, it's just not my thing, but I liked(liked, not loved) Gurren Lagann because I thought it didn't take itself seriously. Like everything they did felt like a rip on other mech shows. It's so ridiculous and energetic that I am a little confused on how people thought that it was taking itself seriously. That's just my point of view and it seems to be the common thing I have been hearing from the people I know who have seen it.

yeah i always felt that the whole point of it was to be as over the top as possible. making sure that each battle was bigger and crazier then the last that by the time you get to the final battle its so huge that you can't help but love it.
Anime_Rapture

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
rinmackie wrote:
But it seems to me, most people don't really give it a chance and pass it off as another Twilight clone. (...) Of course, since I'm one of few people on ANN who like Vampire Knight, (and maybe the only one who likes the character of Zero), I'm probably posting to the wall, but I had to get this off my chest.

No, it's not a Twilight clone, because among other things its vampires actually act like real vampires. That's probably why it has an edge over it in my book. It has its own problems, but that's anther story. Mostly it just draaaaaags. This gets worse if you're bad and read the chapters as they come out, because you see how little happens every month. I quit doing that for just that reason, and plan to stick to the nice legal releases like a good little fangirl.

And yes, Kaname sucks. I really hate that guy. Zero, for all his wangst, is at least not a manipulative bastard.

I haven't gotten around to watching the anime yet, and I read it in Shojo Beat until it stopped publication. When it first started it's run, it was up there on my list of things to read first, but as it went on, it wasn't interesting enough to read 1 chapter per month and some of the other series crept up the list of favs. So when the magazine stopped publication, I soon forgot how it started and how I thought it had been interesting at the start.

Eventually I will pick up some of the volumes from where the magazine left off(already did that with Sand Chronicles, and started collecting Nana from the beginning because it doesn't get enough love) but it's sort of fallen off of my radar. Though I imagine that when I start in on the volumes, I will like it more.

P.S. I don't think it's a Twilight rip off, I am so sick of hearing about Twilight.

P.P.S. I definitely like Zero WAY more than Kaname, he's so uppity.

Last edited by Anime_Rapture on Sun May 23, 2010 12:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:

And yeah, Kamina was the most annoying character of the show rivaled only by 'needlessly flamboyant gay guy' (a character type that really needs to vanish or be restricted to just comedy stuff).

You kidding me? That was like the only character I liked ... Steve Blum does him justice.

(I recommend you check out the dubbing outtakes for TTGL. Steve is quite good with those ... also probably the only thing good about the series.)

I only bought the five episodes of the first DVD then was like "Nah ... I'm not paying for this." Lucky someone was stupid enough to buy it and I watched it. Oh God. One of the worst anime I have seen for a while.

I showed my friend the first 5 episodes and she just fast forward every time Kamina was on screen because he is incredibly stupid and not one part manly.

I laugh when people talk about the "Gar" part. No way is he manly.

I'm surprised that no one talked about "The endless eight". Not that I have seen it, but people seem to keep bringing it up.

But the one I was most disappointed by? Death Note. Oh God I hated that show. And Naruto. (But I was expecting that) And Gunslinger Girl.

And I'm pretty sure that most Vision of Escaflowne fans can say that the manga is not only sub-par to the anime but is entirely unreadable.

There is my two cents.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:54 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I've always been curious to know if the boxset releases here in the US has had any impact on licensing for series. The market has obviously ditched the singles approach and I'm quite shocked the otaku market in Japan hasn't started against the singles there.

But then again, given what's coming out is dedicated to them, probably not wise for the otaku to punch the gift horse in the mouth.

Actually they have shown that demand for cheaper alternatives through reverse importation though. Right now they only reason they are willing to spend $500 - $1,000 for a series, and only for their most favorite, must-have series, is simply because they have no choice. When they are giving that cheaper R1 choice there is evidence that they will take it for the other shows they didn't have another $500 - $1000 to spare. It's the reason why our Kurokami Bluray is dub-only Mad It's also the reason why I think many shows across all genres (yes, including moe) just tank in dvd or bd sales. There's a huge disparity between the handful of shows that sell and those that don't, although some franchises can and do rely merchandising instead of dvd/bd. Well duh, if the choice was between spending $1,000 on Clannad or $1,000 on Phantom it would be pretty obvious what the vast majority would choose, even if people do like both!

Quote:
Oh, and FUNimation's got some titles coming out with its S.A.V.E. line which I'm definitely picking up while many still list at $50 or more.

It's my money and you can bet I'm going to get the most for it.

Yep, I love the s.a.v.e. line up too. I just bought Aquarion this way and the King of Bandits Jing OVA set. Jing OVA set for $8 was a purely blind purchase, something I almost never do, but led me to pick up the Jing TV series from ADV at the same time as well. I plan on getting all of the s.a.v.e. sets for series I don't already have. And yay for Hell Girl box, finally (I love it but no way am I paying for singles).

kameoosama wrote:

I think this has a lot to do with how companies often gauge interest for a product after the first week to first month of sales. It's very rare that something like a movie or game will "gain steam" as time goes on and in fact, after the initial period most titles have "shot their wad" so to speak and are quickly forgotten about. Sales can rekindle interest in a title temporarily, but often aside from a couple evergreen titles, your back-catalog sales numbers come nowhere close to your new releases.

I don't know... the fact that Funimation has staggered repricing (and repackaging) strategy across their entire lineup seems to suggest that there is always some "latent" demand that they can tap into. Otherwise I don't think thay they would continue wasting resources and money on it. So while initial sales may not be so good, over time, they could get their licensing money's worth or close to it, especially when buyers think they're getting their money's worth.

This is just purely speculation, but Big Windup might be a somewhat special case. Maybe sales and demand from online streams, were really realy bad, coupled with high licensing costs. It's strange why the two half season sets were significantly more expensive than their other more obviously popular shows.
Macron One

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:47 am Reply with quote
Cheaper rereleases are just a natural way of making money from a series by attracting customers with a more casual interest or a smaller budget. I would agree though that rereleases/reprices are being done too soon after the previous release is completed. Anyone who's been an anime DVD buyer for a year or more knows that you generally only need to wait 6 months or so after the initial release to get a much cheaper complete collection or reprice. It's inevitable that a lot of interested fans are going to instead buy the rerelease if the wait is comparatively short.
I'm disappointed to see that there's still so many fans that consider anime DVDs too expensive even now. Realistically speaking, I think that the initial release price of anime is now about as low as it's likely to get ($40-$50 per cour sub-only, $50-$60 per cour dubbed). The small size of anime fandom means that the amount of people interested in purchasing DVDs of an average series is only measurable in the thousands, not tens of thousands. Given that there's already a completely free alternative in the form of fansubs further lowering the price of your initial release will soon push you past the point of diminishing returns.

Chrono Crusade i thought was quite good and one of Gonzo's better anime. Most of the people that dislike it seem to be fans of the manga, which I hear ends very differently.

The 3rd Tenchi OVA series is indeed pretty bad. The newly introduced characters do little other than mess up the OVA continuity and steal screentime from the main cast.

I think the Martian Succcessor Nadesico movie has an undeservedly bad rep. I personally found the very different mood of the movie, which seems to put a lot of fans of the TV series off, to be interesting, as well as the focus on adult Ruri as the captain of the Nadesico. I even own an animation cel from the movie.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:58 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
I read the Chrono Crusade manga and have watched the anime and both are equally good-as they have different takes on the same story.

This, the anime series is a well told story, it actually has a proper ending, unlike most anime series, so to hear that it's a "poor" ending baffles me, as they mostly end up comparing it to the manga and not within the structure of the anime series itself. As that is the thing with adaptations, they are adaptations, you are not going to get a 100% faithful rendition as 1) That is boring and stifles creativity and 2) Different mediums have different plusess and minuses, so while in the manga they can take as long as they feel is necessary, anime does not have that luxury.

Now to explain the ending spoiler[ In the anime series, Aeon represents Evil and can be said to have tied himself metaphysically to the concept of Evil, thus he would follow some of the concepts of Evil like:

Evil never sleeps

Evil is never Truly defeated, only stopped.

Thus having that connection, if we were truly irrevocably destroyed than Evil to then would be destroyed. Which comes to a problem, especially if you are familiar with Christianity, as God has dominion over all things, while we normally conceive of this as having power over "good" aspects it also pertains to "evil" aspects as well. So thus God is a God of War, Death, Pestilence, and Despair as well as the God of Hope, Temperance, Justice, and Faith, so in a roundabout way if Evil were to "die" than "God" would have died as well because he cannot be the positive qualities if the negative qualities no longer exist, metaphysically. ]

Moving on to why Rosette and Chrno had a "sad" ending spoiler[ They got what they wanted (mostly) saved her brother, stopped the evils of Aeon (for awhile), rescued their friends from the orphanage. But despite doing those feats they ended up setting out what they wanted to do but in the end it wasn't for them, their wounds they carried too deep, they sacrificed much and had no place to return home to, so they left. ]
Stretch24

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:54 am Reply with quote
Isn't English pretty much the second language of every country in western Europe (due to the cold war era, etc)? When watching anime with a school theme, classes in English are often mentioned and I think it's the same case in Europe. So I wouldn't be surprised if Vic Mignogna is quite familiar to anime fans over there.
kurichan69

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:49 am Reply with quote
Anime_Rapture wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
rinmackie wrote:
But it seems to me, most people don't really give it a chance and pass it off as another Twilight clone. (...) Of course, since I'm one of few people on ANN who like Vampire Knight, (and maybe the only one who likes the character of Zero), I'm probably posting to the wall, but I had to get this off my chest.

No, it's not a Twilight clone, because among other things its vampires actually act like real vampires. That's probably why it has an edge over it in my book. It has its own problems, but that's anther story. Mostly it just draaaaaags. This gets worse if you're bad and read the chapters as they come out, because you see how little happens every month. I quit doing that for just that reason, and plan to stick to the nice legal releases like a good little fangirl.

And yes, Kaname sucks. I really hate that guy. Zero, for all his wangst, is at least not a manipulative bastard.

I haven't gotten around to watching the anime yet, and I read it in Shojo Beat until it stopped publication. When it first started it's run, it was up there on my list of things to read first, but as it went on, it wasn't interesting enough to read 1 chapter per month and some of the other series crept up the list of favs. So when the magazine stopped publication, I soon forgot how it started and how I thought it had been interesting at the start.

Eventually I will pick up some of the volumes from where the magazine left off(already did that with Sand Chronicles, and started collecting Nana from the beginning because it doesn't get enough love) but it's sort of fallen off of my radar. Though I imagine that when I start in on the volumes, I will like it more.

P.S. I don't think it's a Twilight rip off, I am so sick of hearing about Twilight.

I love Zero. He is my favorite character. I read the manga as it's officially released and it's an excellent example of why you should buy a series because the tankouban are just beautiful. You can hold the book in your hands and drool over the bishies to your heart's content. Probably 90% of the manga I read regularly are official releases, either English or Japanese, because I love having the book in my hands and I can reread them as often as I like and use them for reference when reading later volumes. That's not impossible if you only read scanlations but it's a helluva lot more work to find the passages you want. Plus the official releases are always cleaner and have extras (I'm not going to go into the actual translation here; just talking about the physical properties of an actual book!).

As for Kaname being "uppity", the more you know about his background the more you can understand why he is who he is.

I have taken great care to avoid anything Twilight. Even my 12 year old is completely disinterested despite being constantly bombarded with it at school. And as for VK being a Twilight ripoff (which I haven't heard btw) I need to point out that VK came first.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Thanks for the VK and Zero support! I wasn't expecting that at all. I do buy the volumes as they are released but I followed the latest chapters on scans. Unfortunately, the site I go to is extremely pro-Kaname which really gets on my nerves. So, it's nice to get some Zero love! Very Happy
miken

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Stretch24 wrote:
Isn't English pretty much the second language of every country in western Europe (due to the cold war era, etc)? When watching anime with a school theme, classes in English are often mentioned and I think it's the same case in Europe. So I wouldn't be surprised if Vic Mignogna is quite familiar to anime fans over there.

nah. half of my anime collection are R1 DVDs and i couldn't name a single english voice actor. i prefer watching black lagoon in english, since it's better than the original dub imo, but for the rest it's japanese with english subs. all other importers i know, don't care for english dubs as well. probably most of the anime fans outside the US and UK don't know this mignogna guy and/or just don't care, so i found this question pretty justified...
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I have taken great care to avoid anything Twilight. Even my 12 year old is completely disinterested despite being constantly bombarded with it at school. And as for VK being a Twilight ripoff (which I haven't heard btw) I need to point out that VK came first.

You're not alone. Having said that, while I don't actually like Vampire Knight (despite what anybody says, it still doesn't do too much justice on vampires for me) it is not a Twilight rip-off. That's saying somethine considering I'm not a fan.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah watching a the English dub on a non-UK DVD of a Japanese series, that's a bit silly. If you're going to watch a series in a foreign language, you might as well put the original foreign language on. Sure, the avarage European has a better grasp of English than Japanese, but the people who speak it fluently outside of the UK are a minority. It's like Spanish in the US. Would the avarage American fan watch anime in Spanish and invite Spanish speaking voice actors to American anime convention?

I've seen plenty of anime, but the first time I really heard Vic Mignogna was in Disgaea 3. I can name and recognise a few other american voice actors, but only because they were in a bunch of RPG's.
Anime_Rapture

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
kurichan69 wrote:
Anime_Rapture wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
rinmackie wrote:

I love Zero. He is my favorite character. I read the manga as it's officially released and it's an excellent example of why you should buy a series because the tankouban are just beautiful. You can hold the book in your hands and drool over the bishies to your heart's content. Probably 90% of the manga I read regularly are official releases, either English or Japanese, because I love having the book in my hands and I can reread them as often as I like and use them for reference when reading later volumes. That's not impossible if you only read scanlations but it's a helluva lot more work to find the passages you want. Plus the official releases are always cleaner and have extras (I'm not going to go into the actual translation here; just talking about the physical properties of an actual book!).

As for Kaname being "uppity", the more you know about his background the more you can understand why he is who he is.

I wasn't trying to say that I read scans, pretty much when Shojo Beat ended, I stopped reading it and figured I would wait for the manga to catch up and surpass where it was in the magazine. Though now that I think about it, I think some interesting things were brewing when they left off.

I read Twilight back in my freshman year of high school('04-'05), pretty sure it was in the first printing, before there were sequels and what not, I liked it back then, but then I reread it when I got older and didn't care for it at all. This isn't the point really. Vampire Knight has little in common with Twilight, at least that's what I think.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote
That guy may fail at life, but he's probably the greatest flake I've ever read in the Answerman column. What a d-bag.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
The anime that's probably disappointed me the most so far would have to be Voices of a Distant Star. The animation is wonderful, and there's an intriguing concept being explored.

However, I think this piece is incomplete. Shinkai spends the time building up the story and the characters, and then it just suddenly STOPS, and there's no resolution. When the credits rolled, I was like, "Is this IT? This can't be it. The story's not finished!"

As a viewer, I was left with questions unaswered, an I wasn't satisfied at the end. At least The Place Promised in Our Early Days had a complete story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5