• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Clarifies Status of Its Sola License

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
From what I remember with watching Sola, it was one of the first moe romance stories I saw.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I too wonder how 2 US distributors hold the license for the DVD release of the same series and not be a joint venture.

Maybe Zac or Justin could explain this to us. Pretty please....
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I think we just found a candidate for something to be discussed on this week's ANNCast. This is just bizarre. I didn't think that it was possible for two companies to license the same series at the same time. Obviously it depends on the terms of the licenses, but there have been cases in the past where it's been a problem with a company trying to license a series which was even related to one that another company had licensed (Harmony gold and Robotech/Macross comes to mind). So, this is just weird.

Assuming that they both really do have the license, it seems really odd for Sentai to have explicitly acquired the license without it being part of a package deal. More likely it came with Shigofumi (which brings up the question as to whether Bandai still has that show licensed, whether they've released it or not). Maybe Sentai got it with Shigofumi and figured that there was a high enough chance of making their money back that they might as well give it a go rather than just sit on the license and make nothing off of it just because Bandai has it.

Still, this is just plain weird. If anything, this "clarification" has just made things even murkier. And given that many of us already have the impression that Bandai is on the verge of death, and that that gives any announcement from them the impression that it's definitely an attempt to positively spin a bad situation, this seems that much weirder. "No, No. We haven't lost our license. That would be bad for us. That can't possibly have happened. Of course we still have it."

In any case, I hope that we get some proper clarification soon. Hopefully this week's ANNCast will be able to shed some light on the situation.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
The fact that Section23 has the balls to sell sola at 40 dollars while Bandai releases it for 30 is hilarious. If I were to buy this show, I'd buy it from Bandai. I really hate Bandai's covers for their anime, but maybe this show has some value to it.

Can anyone give me a rundown of this "Sola" show?
_V_

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote
...let me get this straight....ADV-revenant "Section 23" is actually doing well enough that its buying up titles that failing giant and -- lets be honest here --- cuckhold, Bandai lost the rights to.

Now, *both* R1 companies are simultaneously claiming they have the rights to an old Bandai title.

...there is only one way to resolve this: we're going to need to hold...tryouts...for the license.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk7R_6xqkKw&featuret#t=1m50s
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow I have NO clue whats going on.!! If Sentai wanted to win to sales war over Bandai they should have dubbed Sola and that other show they got. Basically they are releasing the same thing Bandai is releasing with $5 more tacked on. I think Sola might have just been really REALLY cheap or there is some shady **** going on here. Either way I am not getting either show unless they have a dub. Hey Sentai get Hayate and dub it and release it in Box-sets. Show Bandai how to release an Anime!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Wow I have NO clue whats going on.!! If Sentai wanted to win to sales war over Bandai they should have dubbed Sola and that other show they got. Basically they are releasing the same thing Bandai is releasing with $5 more tacked on. I think Sola might have just been really REALLY cheap or there is some shady **** going on here. Either way I am not getting either show unless they have a dub. Hey Sentai get Hayate and dub it and release it in Box-sets. Show Bandai how to release an Anime!

Dude, seriously you don't know what you're talking about? Not every anime needs a dub, especially for shows like that.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:

I honestly marathoned this show in two days, but I can't remember hardly anything at all. The main male character likes to take pictures of the sky and there was a rather violent (maybe yandere?) female character. Other than that I honestly don't remember much. I don't think it was a comedy, but rather more romance/drama.

I liked it, and I may buy it, but safe to say that's it's not quite memorable like True Tears was.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The main male character likes to take pictures of the sky and there was a rather violent (maybe yandere?) female character. Other than that I honestly don't remember much. I don't think it was a comedy, but rather more romance/drama.

Out of all the harem leads that are portrayed as being bland and paper thin.... you must of have missed a lot.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Dude, seriously you don't know what you're talking about? Not every anime needs a dub, especially for shows like that.

When your releasing the SAME product for more money you need to be different in someway...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Well Bandai, thanks for clearing things up! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
KanjiiZ wrote:

I honestly marathoned this show in two days, but I can't remember hardly anything at all. The main male character likes to take pictures of the sky and there was a rather violent (maybe yandere?) female character. Other than that I honestly don't remember much. I don't think it was a comedy, but rather more romance/drama.

I liked it, and I may buy it, but safe to say that's it's not quite memorable like True Tears was.

I'm aware that this is a moe show (ever since Kamichu! my moe shell has been broken. If there are shows like Kamichu!, I must watch them), but what's the scale of moe on this show. Retarded girl that can't find the wings on her backpack being the lowest rank and Kamichu! being the highest.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
If you've seen one license agreement, you have not seen them all.

For example, anime companies may change their normal terms to clinch a broadcast deal. Suppose UTB asked for non-exclusive general distribution rights when it got broadcast rights to Sola ... and then sold those rights on to someone else when it was done with the broadcast.

Or maybe Bandai Visual and Bandai Ent. played some cute tricks when Bandai Visual was liquidated - say, for tax purposes - and it came back to bite them.

Or when Bandai Visual was losing money, it played some games to try to cut the cost of licensing, including buy out options to cut the license fee - and it came back to bite them.

Or else there way a royalty payment missed in the process of the merger, but they patched together a deal to allow them to continue selling Sola - and it came back ...

Speculation on the details is open-ended,

The broad outline is, however, clearer.

If Bandai Entertainment wanted to say that Sentai/Section23 does not in fact have the rights Sentai claims, they could have said that.

They made no such claim.

They simply clarified that Bandai still has rights.

Legally, the reason that R1 distributors have exclusive R1 rights is that they request contracts that specify exclusive rights.

But unless there is a binding agreement in place, the copyright holder is free to reach as many agreements to provide some or all rights to publish with as many different publishers as they wish. So if Sentai says they have the rights, and Bandai does not dispute it, and Bandai insists they have the rights, and unless and until Sentai disputes it ...

... its certainly possible that they both have rights. Its just likely to be something weird behind it, because it is extremely unusual in R1 anime distribution.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Bandai knowingly is trolling us.
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
I hope they both dub it.

Me too.

KanjiiZ wrote:

I'm aware that this is a moe show (ever since Kamichu! my moe shell has been broken. If there are shows like Kamichu!, I must watch them), but what's the scale of moe on this show. Retarded girl that can't find the wings on her backpack being the lowest rank and Kamichu! being the highest.

I like this scale. Kamichu! is a quality series, and a good example of the moe thing not being bogged down by its usual conventions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4