• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Clarifies Status of Its Sola License

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:59 pm Reply with quote
The version that was previously out, was an Anime Legends [bandai] imprint... and Right Stuf still has for $26, in the bargain bins. So that version is probably OOP except for backstock. Sentai may be bringing one out soonish... but that doesn't help much with why Bandai would even care at this point...

I wonder if they are asserting their right so that they will have to get some kickback because Sentai is moving foreward from the original producer <<< complete WAG for grins...

anywho, looks like if you want it, it's best to et the AnimeLegends version, because those are usually at least full verisons with extras.

I'm sure the rest will be cleared up with a "sorry, we mis-spoke..." on the part of Bandai, or Sentai...
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
That has to be the most confusing and passive-aggressive "clarifications" in the history of clarifications. Razz
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
The version that was previously out, was an Anime Legends [bandai] imprint... and Right Stuf still has for $26, in the bargain bins. So that version is probably OOP except for backstock. Sentai may be bringing one out soonish... but that doesn't help much with why Bandai would even care at this point...

The quote from the article says it isn't OOP.
article wrote:
and is "currently releasing sola and will continue to do so."
crilix

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:55 am Reply with quote
What if the two plan to merge in the near future?
tankerboy

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:21 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Can anyone give me a rundown of this "Sola" show?

Sola has romance, mystery, and supernatural elements; a solid story line; very good to excellent animation, sound and character design; and a surprising yet logical ending. None of the characters are stupid, most have nicely complex depth (there are bad guys but no villains) and the usual moe tropes do not revolve around the main male character.

It doesn't get more attention precisely because it looks moe but really isn't very moe at all. So the moe fanboys don't like it because there are no big boobed bimbos and they actually have to pay attention to a story and the anti-moe factions dismiss it and don't give it a chance.

To me, anything that ANN has in the encyclopedia with a "very good" rating is worth watching for 4 or 5 eps at least.
Zombie_Punk

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:26 am Reply with quote
tankerboy wrote:
KanjiiZ wrote:
Can anyone give me a rundown of this "Sola" show?

Sola has romance, mystery, and supernatural elements; a solid story line; very good to excellent animation, sound and character design; and a surprising yet logical ending. None of the characters are stupid, most have nicely complex depth (there are bad guys but no villains) and the usual moe tropes do not revolve around the main male character.

It doesn't get more attention precisely because it looks moe but really isn't very moe at all. So the moe fanboys don't like it because there are no big boobed bimbos and they actually have to pay attention to a story and the anti-moe factions dismiss it and don't give it a chance.

To me, anything that ANN has in the encyclopedia with a "very good" rating is worth watching for 4 or 5 eps at least.

Agreed. My only problem with the show was that it felt like it was too much jammed into too little episodes. Had it been longer I imagine it would be one my favorites.

I may double dip and grab Sentai's release depending on how they handle it. Bandai's wasn't very good, subtitles especially.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:32 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Hey Sentai get Hayate and dub it and release it in Box-sets. Show Bandai how to release an Anime!

That. will. never. gonna. happen. in. a. million. [expletive]. years.

But anyways, I don't any advantages of having two companies licensing the same anime show unless if one plans to release it cheaper than the other company or if the other company plans to dub it. The later would only work if one company is responsible for the distribution (i.e. Bandai) while the other is responsible for the dubbing (Bang Zoom!) and is done in the same state/region.

However, in this situation, sola is released subbed-only by both Bandai and Section23. These two companies work in different states (Bandai is California while Section23 is Texas). Section23 is releasing sola more expensive than Bandai's price. So this would be really counterproductive for Section23. I'm guessing it has something to do with the work done when it comes to accessibility to the show. I think Section23 is releasing the series DVD while Bandai is releasing the series BluRay and streaming online. But when it comes to dubbing, it can be big problem here (particularly in a situation when the two companies holding the license of the same title where both companies works in different states instead of the same state).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:53 am Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
The main male character likes to take pictures of the sky and there was a rather violent (maybe yandere?) female character. Other than that I honestly don't remember much. I don't think it was a comedy, but rather more romance/drama.

Out of all the harem leads that are portrayed as being bland and paper thin.... you must of have missed a lot.

Paper Indeed, spoiler[litterally]. Laughing Laughing
tankerboy

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:59 am Reply with quote
Zombie_Punk wrote:

Agreed. My only problem with the show was that it felt like it was too much jammed into too little episodes. Had it been longer I imagine it would be one my favorites.

Yes, <sigh> it should have been 26 at least but it's still worth watching.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:55 am Reply with quote
Does this mean we can have True Tears licensed by Section23 to later get both Sola and True Tears released in dub...... That would just be awesome.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:57 am Reply with quote
hmm confusing indeed. Why would anyone get the Sentai/Section23 version currently when Bandai's verion still remains in print? There's a $10 - $15 difference... (see amazon dealers) and Bandai only released it late last year.

Regarding the show itself, I never thought of it as moe at all and don't know why some people would consider it so by convention definitions. Like tankerboy said, it's drama, romance, mystery. But moe? nah.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:27 am Reply with quote
Ktimene's Lover wrote:
Two American companies holding the license to the same show at the same time? That's gotta be a pain for releasing on DVD. What a face palm moment.

Actually, it's not a face palm moment at all. This isn't the first time it's happened, and certainly won't be the last.

One needs to remember there's the original owner of the works. A license is nothing more than permission to reproduce (for distribution) those works. It's probably a good bet the owner allowed both licenses, which "doubles" their revenues but puts two companies at direct competition.
Note: just my thought, but I don't believe Bandai's license has expired which is why they can re-release it.

For fans, this could have been a good thing, but if neither company will dub the series, it comes down to price. Given this series is already available for less than $25, the goal is to capitalize on those who don't know how to shop around.

Unless SF has plans to dub it in the future based on sales, as they did with a few other titles this year. That would be the "one up" on Bandai, who has yet to offer a program similarly.

One thing's for sure, this news put this series back on the radar for me. I had completely forgotten all about it and am now looking forward to purchasing Bandai's lower priced version already available. I seriously doubt any of the two new releases will be any better, but that's just my opinion.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:42 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
A license is nothing more than permission to reproduce (for distribution) those works. It's probably a good bet the owner allowed both licenses, which "doubles" their revenues but puts two companies at direct competition.

Perhaps, but unless I've grossly misunderstood the licensing model, contracts do usually contain some kind of exclusivity agreement at least for the region the company operates in. Maybe it's possible to not be granted that exclusivity but I'm pretty skeptical that any company would sign a licensing agreement with a 'they can turn around and license this to your competitor as well' clause. Nobody is that dumb. The only conceivable scenario in which I could see it happening is if the licensing fee is slashed to a fraction of normal but if that's the case, then the Japanese company probably isn't increasing revenue at all.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:22 am Reply with quote
I'm happy with the set I own. It's good to see that Sentai can pick up titles that are from the Bandai catalog just in case they do go under. They have some good under the radar type shit.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:25 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
A license is nothing more than permission to reproduce (for distribution) those works. It's probably a good bet the owner allowed both licenses, which "doubles" their revenues but puts two companies at direct competition.

Perhaps, but unless I've grossly misunderstood the licensing model, contracts do usually contain some kind of exclusivity agreement at least for the region the company operates in. Maybe it's possible to not be granted that exclusivity but I'm pretty skeptical that any company would sign a licensing agreement with a 'they can turn around and license this to your competitor as well' clause. Nobody is that dumb. The only conceivable scenario in which I could see it happening is if the licensing fee is slashed to a fraction of normal but if that's the case, then the Japanese company probably isn't increasing revenue at all.

It could be like the old nintendo contract for games on their consoles. i.e. it has exclusivity but for a limited period of time (1 year).
Or this could turn into a realy nasty legal where Bandai claim Bandai Ent is in breach of contract and sue themselves (a la Fox news sueing Fox Corporate (I think it was that way round))
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4