• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kekkaishi-[adult swim broadcast] (w/index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I like Madarao's back story and his "true form" is awesome! His quote "love knows no boundries-gender or species!" Made me laugh~That's what the American conservatives are afraid of. Gay marriage leading to interspecies marriage. Maybe even being able to marry your dead gay dog!

That episode just show how awesome Madarao trully is, fighting-wise and on his position on love! Kekkaishi is earning the right to be on AS with eps like this.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 was good. Koya backstory was expanded and watched Madarao dieing was sad. Even in death he still wanted to go to their mountain. Yoshimori did good too with that pep talk and teamwork.

Next week! spoiler[Big Bro shows up! Very Happy ]
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe no one has anything to say since spoiler[Masamori showed up. He's added some much-needed spice to the series. Yoshimori hates him for two reasons: 1.) Masa seems to be the better kekkaishi overall, though he wasn't "the chosen one." and 2.) Tokine has a crush on Masa, which doesn't sit well with Yoshi, because he has a crush on Tokine. To make matters worse, Masa knows about Yoshi's crush, and he's probably aware of Tokine's.]

Masa's entire spoiler[test for Yoshi was reckless. The school's already crawling with demons, and Masa purposely plants one (no pun intended) just to see what Lil' Bro can do. I liked that Yoshi came up with his own solution to the problem, but it showed his main weakness -- Yoshi's high-powered, low-skilled/knowledgeable. This already caused an injury to Tokine, and I can see how it might end up hurting someone else in the future.]

I hope people aren't giving up on Kekkaishi just because it's on [adult swim]. [as] does do some things right.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I really wanna try creating a backdraft. You know, for science.

Masa has certainly made things more interesting, but I'm still thinking I might enjoy it better marathon style. Unfortunately, Viz will probably never release DVDs (or leave them half released), so this may be my only chance to see it completely dubbed.

I'm predicting something along the lines of Masa uses Tokine's feelings to trap Yoshi so that he can become the real "chosen one" like he's supposed to be. He seems to be a prick like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I haven't commented in a while simply because I haven't felt that there was much going on that deserved comment. The series has been chugging along in okay-but-not-spectacular fashion for a while now, and Masamori being added to the mix doesn't change that much - at least not yet, anyway.

Masamori's appearance was, I suppose, inevitable; I just hope that they don't go down a highly predictable path with him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:06 am Reply with quote
Ah looks like this guy has finally shown up, not a bad intro for him, it was pretty interesting.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:51 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Ah looks like this guy has finally shown up, not a bad intro for him, it was pretty interesting.

Yeah, he's a REALLY important character in Yoshimori's development, and his apperance marks that from here on out, the rest of the anime is PLOT(with one breather episode later down the line).

I couldn't tell who was voicing him, but I think it'll fit Gen's personality well.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:13 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
I couldn't tell who was voicing him, but I think it'll fit Gen's personality well.

He's voiced by Grant George, whose most prominent prior role to date was probably playing Keiichi (the male lead) in the When They Cry - Higurashi dub. I thought he sounded very fitting here, too.

But really, it took 21 episodes (out of 52) to introduce a character who's been prominent in the opener since the first episode? Still, I'm glad to hear that the series is pretty much done piddling around and is finally going to get serious about the plot. I do like the series, but they could have cut out as much as a half-dozen episodes so far without feeling like you were missing anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Gen has finally appeared. Great. spoiler[The next few eps will be hard on poor Yoshi, though.]
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote
Tonight's was quite good especially since they gave us a surprising amount of inner dialogue from Gen.

I'm really liking Grant George's performance in his first couple of episodes.

Madarao and Hakubi as always remain so consistent with the lols.
troizen

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I was pleasantly surprised by this show. It got really good once it got past all of the generic shonen stuff at the beginning.
braves

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
The series was definitely a slow starter, but the characters made sticking around worthwhile until it picked up some steam storywise.

The staffers picked a good stoping point and there weren't any loose ends that demanded to be taken care of. However, I wouldn't mind if Sunrise did a "Kekkaishi: Final Act" sort of deal now that the manga is over. With better pacing than Inuyasha: The Final Act, of course.

Hirotoshi Takaya's work on this series was solid, too. He animated the beginning of the last episode (until Yoshimori falls, I think) and the final scene at Karasumori.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I just can't figure out how such an above-average manga can be adapted into such a below-average anime.

I love the manga, and think that the plot and characters continue to improve with each arc. I'm trying to stay with Viz's releases and avoid the temptation of scanlations (especially now that it's over).

But the anime was disappointing, and I just can't put my finger on why. Was it the pacing? The fact that it only covered the first major arc? The interpretation?

If they ever do a "Final Act" or "Rewrite," I hope they do it in a way that can capture the fun of the latter arcs.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
So, that was all for Kekkaishi. While I'm glad they had a solid stopping point for the anime (and it looks like this is where Durarara! will air), I have to ask: Is that all? What about spoiler[Yoshimori's quest to seal the Katasumori site?] Are they really going to let spoiler[all those powerful ayakashi escape from the crumbling Kokuboro?] Did spoiler[the princess fox's powers] stay with spoiler[Yoshi]?

Yeah, I'm thinking there's work left to do here.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
@Sea Lion: As I said the manga is much, much, much better than the anime.

That ending was definitely not all!

I mean, what about Yoshi's mom? Was she even in one episode of this show? Is Masamori content with his life--or still jealous of his brother? Is Yoshi's ambition feasible? What's going on within the Shadow Organization, and what, exactly, is Masamori's plan to "improve" it?

So many questions, so much fun for manga reader's to discover! Wink

I cannot recommend the Kekkaishi manga enough to shonen (or even general) manga and anime fans.

I did like the Ayakashi gal with the spider web powers and minions that say "Kii"! She was a lot of fun to watch. So snarky and powerful! (and for the life of me, I can't remember what becomes of her in the manga. Need to wiki....)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7