• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - X Hits the Spot

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Many of the Asians of a certain age I work with (old enough to remember WWII) are not exactly happy with Japan which is where I put South Korea's protest of their portrayal in Hetalia. It seemeed stupid, but it was a major protest at the time.
Granted, my folks aren't too happy with Japan overall (Pearl Harbor).
So the wounds run deep & Japan has brushed off a lot of the attrocities they committed so there are a lot of people who can't seem to forgive them.

But I'm sad to see the negative review. I've ordered the manga & the anime already as both the college girls in my house are fans to varying degrees. The idea of treaties as marriages works in my thought processes so yeah, it should work.
I can see Konishi standing out. Is it any worse than people wanting him to do Gurren Lagann? I've been a fan since SDK & Shaman King. His voice is sufficiently deep enough to stand out from Namikawa's which is usually in the cute/high range & Onosaka is just usually awesome (Vash the Stampede. Don Patch)

I thought the name translates to something like useless Italy. God knows Mel Brooks has had enough fun with WWII & Germans. If one is sufficiently familiar with history, one shouldn't need the jokes explained, should one? Are the jokes that obscure?
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

Yeah, I saw some of their designs on a Hetalia wiki, but I don't know about game-only content. Does that count?

Seychelles actually has a whole ton of material Himaruya has written about her. There's a game he released online, a couple of strips, and a really, really lengthy set of scripts that he posted up for the game.

Plus, there's a new game coming out starring her for PSP.

In any case, the series actually began as a gag manga about WWII, so it kind of makes sense that most of the initial cast is European. And upon creating those, obviously he wanted to create their neighbors, and so and on and so forth. He never claimed to be depicting the history of the world or representing the world on the whole, like the anime ending kind of does.

I can't really blame him for not putting some Middle Eastern countries in. It would be so easy to step on toes with that. God knows that Afghanisu-tan, which is about central Asia, is one of the most offensive manga I've ever encountered. I know he had a North Korea planned at one point, but vetoed it for obvious reasons.

CCSYueh wrote:

I thought the name translates to something like useless Italy. God knows Mel Brooks has had enough fun with WWII & Germans. If one is sufficiently familiar with history, one shouldn't need the jokes explained, should one? Are the jokes that obscure?

Some of them are obscure, but that's because they're not commonly known history.

The fact that sometimes the jokes have to be explained is part of the charm of the series for me, because it means he's not just sticking with historical facts that 'everyone knows,' but instead teaching something new.

I might be wrong, but I don't actually recall any point in the series in which a treaty is portrayed as a marriage though? Unions are sometimes, like the Austro-Hungarian union, but not treaties.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
RadicaLElly wrote:
Quote:
World War II-era America shouldn't be eating fast food and complaining about “The Axis of Evil” – those are contemporary jokes (fast food took off after WWII and Bush Junior coined the "Axis of Evil" in 2002).

Despite what Wikipedia says, I'm pretty sure Bush Jr. didn't invent that phrase. I recall hearing it long before 2002. I think he just popularized it.

Well, that and the Germany/Italy/Japan triumvirate in WW2 were called the "Axis Powers."

And despite what people may think today, when J Wellington Wimpy in Popeye talks about gladly eating a hamburger today in return for payment on Tuesday, this is not a McDonalds or Burger King burger he is talking about, but a diner burger ... because he started proposing that in the 1930's. And American's penchant for sweet soft drinks began during Prohibition.

So there's nothing anachronistic about a 1930's/40's "America" who loves soft drinks and burgers. Fast food burger joints did not invent the American love of the hamburger.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Alright, so I'll break the combo and move away from this current Hetalia shitstorm: =.= Haven't we already once seen this shelf collection?

This is like the second repeat...

Have we? It's my fault, not Erin's. I still handle the Shelf Obsession pictures. I have a system for not double-posting such things, but it's not flawless, esp. since sometimes people re-submit their emails. Unfortunately, I've seen so many of these shelves, that it's difficult for me to tell them all apart.

That makes sense I guess. Maybe you should have some sort email logging system. If the same email address resubmits in, say, a year, then you just like don't accept it. Everyone needs a fair shot I think, and I know there are people out there who submit new photos like after each single purchase. Not terribly fair.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

And despite what people may think today, when J Wellington Wimpy in Popeye talks about gladly eating a hamburger today in return for payment on Tuesday

"J Wellington Wimpy"? His name is just Wimpy dude no need to get all pretentious about our depression-era classic cartoon characters

arguin' about wimpy up in here

Photobucket
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Popeye's got the mad bling. Cool
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely gonna get X.

Hetalia Axis Powers never interested me. But Erin, it sounds like you're not a big fan of it, so why do you feel it's caught between stream worthy and perishable? If it's not that great, than it's not stream worthy. But if it's worth a try. Maybe that would make it the stream equivalent of rental?
R.G.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote
No,Hetalia is not Strike Witches for girls.

Hetalia is Strike Witches for male homosexuals.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Aaaaand...typically, people are much more interested in senseless shitstorms and pissing on each other over animu. =.=

Well yeah. Come on, you've been on here before, why act surprised? Wink Besides, the majority of the column is the reviews, you know.

R.G. wrote:

Nope, every single last person I know who either reads or watches Hetalia is female.

And @Zac
Awesome picture!!
sykoeent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Alright, so I'll break the combo and move away from this current Hetalia shitstorm: =.= Haven't we already once seen this shelf collection?

This is like the second repeat...

Have we? It's my fault, not Erin's. I still handle the Shelf Obsession pictures. I have a system for not double-posting such things, but it's not flawless, esp. since sometimes people re-submit their emails. Unfortunately, I've seen so many of these shelves, that it's difficult for me to tell them all apart.

That makes sense I guess. Maybe you should have some sort email logging system. If the same email address resubmits in, say, a year, then you just like don't accept it. Everyone needs a fair shot I think, and I know there are people out there who submit new photos like after each single purchase. Not terribly fair.

Yup, that was definitely a repost of the same set of shelves. I think that one was a recent one too
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Nope, every single last person I know who either reads or watches Hetalia is female.

It's actually been gaining a larger fanbase with males lately, so... yeah. The vast majority of fandom is female, as is the case with a large percentage of online anime fandoms recently, but more male fans have been giving it a shot lately. I know at the last convention I went to, out of about sixty cosplayers, around twelve were male... which is not bad.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Is Hetalia the new thing to hate on? My god, with all the people cosplaying Hetalia, you would have thought people liked it more than the backlash it gets on the internet.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

R.G. wrote:

Actually, the three guys I know that like the show are, in fact, homosexual so I think there is something to that.
swienke

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Although I'll agree that the first half of X is better than the second half, I'd definitely say the whole thing is shelf-worthy. Of course, I'm biased since it's one of my favorite anime.

Erin forgot to mention the soundtrack though, which I think is one of, if not the best orchestral anime soundtrack out there. "Destiny" in particular still gives me chills just thinking about it: it's one of the most emotionally complex songs I've ever encountered in an anime.
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Is Hetalia the new thing to hate on? My god, with all the people cosplaying Hetalia, you would have thought people liked it more than the backlash it gets on the internet.

The people who cosplay Hetalia have become quite infamous online for some incidents that have occured at a few conventions, among other things which have helped to fuel the Hetalia hate. Personally I'm a huge fan of the manga, but the anime adaptation just doesn't work. I'm glad Funimation tried to change things up a bit in the dub but to me it seems like it's really only for people that are extremely interested in the series. I had planned on picking it up but it looks like the special edition only comes with a bandanna, and...I wanted a little more than that for a bonus.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7