• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - X Hits the Spot

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:47 am Reply with quote
sykoeent wrote:
John Casey wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Alright, so I'll break the combo and move away from this current Hetalia shitstorm: =.= Haven't we already once seen this shelf collection?

This is like the second repeat...

Have we? It's my fault, not Erin's. I still handle the Shelf Obsession pictures. I have a system for not double-posting such things, but it's not flawless, esp. since sometimes people re-submit their emails. Unfortunately, I've seen so many of these shelves, that it's difficult for me to tell them all apart.

That makes sense I guess. Maybe you should have some sort email logging system. If the same email address resubmits in, say, a year, then you just like don't accept it. Everyone needs a fair shot I think, and I know there are people out there who submit new photos like after each single purchase. Not terribly fair.

Yup, that was definitely a repost of the same set of shelves. I think that one was a recent one too

Was that mostly a shelf of games and some manga? Not sure, I think the photos split some shelves. One of these days I will figure out how to photograph my own 'dungeon' shelves so people can complain about mine too. It's fun to share =)

Not seen any Hetalia, the premise never sounded interesting to me.
Chibitoon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:44 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Really? From the reactions I've seen, the dub has turned hardcore Hetalia fans off buying the DVDs. They're horrified by Funimation's strategy of making the dub "purposely vulgar and offensive." Moreover, they're extremely insulted to be referred to as a "certain demographic" for whom "the dub will be exactly what they're looking for." Umm, no. Whoever that "certain demographic" is, Funi, it's not people who were already Hetalia fans. At the very least, it's not me.

As one of the first Hetalia fans (who had a group of 8 cosplayers at Katsucon '09 compared to this Otakon's 100+ gathering)...I agree with this wholeheartedly. Though, I'm still debating with myself if I want the DVDs ONLY for the subbed version. I absolutely hated what they did to the dub and feel even more embarrassed to openly call myself an Hetalia fan. Anime cry

Even Himaruya, the creator, wasn't too happy with the script change.... >.<
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:39 am Reply with quote
Chibitoon wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Really? From the reactions I've seen, the dub has turned hardcore Hetalia fans off buying the DVDs. They're horrified by Funimation's strategy of making the dub "purposely vulgar and offensive." Moreover, they're extremely insulted to be referred to as a "certain demographic" for whom "the dub will be exactly what they're looking for." Umm, no. Whoever that "certain demographic" is, Funi, it's not people who were already Hetalia fans. At the very least, it's not me.

As one of the first Hetalia fans (who had a group of 8 cosplayers at Katsucon '09 compared to this Otakon's 100+ gathering)...I agree with this wholeheartedly. Though, I'm still debating with myself if I want the DVDs ONLY for the subbed version. I absolutely hated what they did to the dub and feel even more embarrassed to openly call myself an Hetalia fan. Anime cry

Even Himaruya, the creator, wasn't too happy with the script change.... >.<

Not that I doubt he would be, but can I ask where you got this info/when or where he said this?

Anyway I can relate; I got into Hetalia in 08 before the anime even existed and no one else had heard of it.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:28 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
agila61 wrote:

And despite what people may think today, when J Wellington Wimpy in Popeye talks about gladly eating a hamburger today in return for payment on Tuesday

"J Wellington Wimpy"? His name is just Wimpy dude no need to get all pretentious about our depression-era classic cartoon characters

Dude, there's no reason to diss J Wellington Wimpy from the comic just because he was a more minor character in the cartoon. It wasn't any secret that his name was J Wellington Wimpy ... he even got used as the nickname for the Vickers Wellington bomber in WWII.
Chibitoon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:48 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Not that I doubt he would be, but can I ask where you got this info/when or where he said this?

Anyway I can relate; I got into Hetalia in 08 before the anime even existed and no one else had heard of it.

I friended him on Facebook... Anime smile (I'm a fan of him, too. <3 ) He updated his status with it a little after the first dub previews came out. ....Of course, to stay neutral he went on to say that he liked the accents and some of the new jokes.
Capella

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
Chibitoon wrote:
championferret wrote:

I friended him on Facebook... Anime smile (I'm a fan of him, too. <3 ) He updated his status with it a little after the first dub previews came out. ....Of course, to stay neutral he went on to say that he liked the accents and some of the new jokes.

The only Himaruya I found on facebook with the status you are referring to is an RP account:

"(('SUP 4AM HOW YOU DOIN'
OH MY GOD THE DUB LMFAO SALDKFJLKJ AHAHA
like i'm gonna cry that machiavelli clip i was dying l;kj
i mean, i don't really like that they change almost ALL the lines and take the cute little sincerity out of Hetalia that was always in everything... but, i do love the accents and [expletive] ridiculously offensive jokes getting produced from this XDDD
CRACK!DUB FOR THE WIN LET'S DO THIS THANG ♥ ♥))"

If that is the status then I don't think Himaruya has given his opinion on the dub yet unless he's done so on an account that he actual owns.
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'll level with you; I can try and be all fancy and high-brow, but the truth is I was totally bored by this show. When I get too bored, my mind starts to drift. I start thinking about other stuff, like what to make for dinner, and do I need to go grocery shopping this week? Then after the eight minutes per episode of not much happening I miss the ten seconds' worth of important dialog because I wasn't paying attention.

Don't get me wrong, I love the atmospheric snow and I appreciate the Ukiyo-e-like backgrounds. I absolutely loved the incidental music, and if it exists I want to import a CD of the soundtrack. But man, this was booooooooooring. My inner 10-year-old was fast asleep. Don't marathon this show. Appreciate it one episode at a time.

Yeah, I had the same problem, which is kinda why I was more into Tatami Galaxy. With that show, you have little time for your mind to drift, with the fast pace.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Chibitoon wrote:
championferret wrote:

I am about 99.9% sure that Hidekaz Himaruya isn't on Facebook. The only place where he posts publicly under his own name is on his blog, which can be found here: http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/

Yes, it's entirely in Japanese save for occasional words and phrases. People on the Hetalia LJ community translate his blog posts from time to time. Trust me, if Himaruya had said a thing about the dub, most everyone would know.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
I mean, the Hitler isn't funny to begin with (not because I have a strong ethical code, it's just not funny), why would you do that when you know what you're wearing represents?

Mel Brooks sure has his fun with Hitler. My daughter bought the soundtrack for The Producers so she could blast "Springtime for Hitler" as she was driving.

Yeah, it's sad for people to disrespect flags, but I've been depressed over the lack of patriotism amongst our youth for at least a decade. Hell. I've seen US flags left out overnight, in the rain, dropped on the ground...I believe young people have been treating flags like accessories since at least the 1960's.

My personal theory is the Japanese like using nazis in anime because the nazis were worse than they were in WWII. (nazis make the Japanese look better) I have a certain affection for nazi baddies in anime because they always seem to make them so ruthless. If it weren't for those rotten Germans using them, of course the Japanese would have been good guys.

Didn't one of the British Princes get crucified over wearing a Nazi uniform for a costume party? The uniforms were pretty sharp. I can see why they're borrowed so often in manga & anime.

So it was a Jewish holiday. (There's been more than one joke about the plus of becoming a Jew is all the holidays). Yes, it would be nice for them to respect everyone, but con is con I've been going to CCI for about 9 yrs. They could blow up an entire state & if it weren't around the hall or on the way to where one is sleeping for the con, one really wouldn't know. Con is a whole separate world & the kids are giddy & excited like Disneyland. In 5 yrs they may be mortified they behaved in such a manner, but that's growing up. Unless they actually deface a monument or are horrid to someone who cares about the situation (a German & his flag. A Jewish person) it really shouldn't matter that much.
5 yrs from now, many of them probably will be horrified at the memories of their behavior.

It really just sounds like the hatred of the fangirls (at one time the yaoi fangirls at con were hated by many) has just resurfaced. Naruto has young male fans as well as female fans so they were Narutards.

Quote:
I might be wrong, but I don't actually recall any point in the series in which a treaty is portrayed as a marriage though? Unions are sometimes, like the Austro-Hungarian union, but not treaties.

So the girls were oversimplifying for the old lady?
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
gerbilx wrote:
Also, a o.O at your "I'm just glad there is a dub in this age of austerity" statement. This show was dubbed and released a good while ago. Plus, it's not like Funimation regularly works with any of these voice actors, as far as I know. It's just a re-release, so retaining the dub shouldn't be surprising, right?

You're right, that is crazy. I just wanted to work the words "age of austerity" into the column, and I'd been disappointed by some dub-less releases as of late, because it makes reviewing them a little harder.

sirkoala13 wrote:
Yeah, I had the same problem, which is kinda why I was more into Tatami Galaxy. With that show, you have little time for your mind to drift, with the fast pace.

Tatami Galaxy is definitely on my "to watch" list.

CCSYueh wrote:
Mel Brooks sure has his fun with Hitler. My daughter bought the soundtrack for The Producers so she could blast "Springtime for Hitler" as she was driving.

Truly a classic. My parents told me about that bit in the original movie long before I ever saw it. (Before we had a VCR, or before VCRs existed...)
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Aaaaand...typically, people are much more interested in senseless shitstorms and pissing on each other over animu. =.=

The fact that people haven't gone off the deep end yet and neither Zac or Abunai haven't locked this thread or told people to slimmer down must mean something. But being that it happened in the past, it's possible in the future. I've seen some crazy stuff here in the past and for the most part, it's pretty hilarious. Well except for some of the moderators, but there is no way I am going to get into that.

Erin: I realize it must have stung to constantly read the praises of Bamboo's return. But remember, this was originally her column and a vast amount of people really enjoyed her exceptional, well crafted articles, myself included. In addition, she had a way with words that was easily understandable and was always evident what her stance was on any given topic.

But that was Bamboo style and her's alone. This is your column now and you need to find your own unique style that suites your needs and the needs of the column. I couldn't help but get the feeling that you wanted to unload more about Hetalia, but felt you had to hold back.

While I do understand your plight, sometimes you just have to freely speak your thoughts, even if it angers others. That doesn't mean you have to be rude, but sometimes you need to push buttons to move forward.

That is my two cents anyway, wherever you heed it or not is ultimately your prerogative.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
While I do understand your plight, sometimes you just have to freely speak your thoughts, even if it angers others. That doesn't mean you have to be rude, but sometimes you need to push buttons to move forward.

I agree with this 100%. Zac does it all the time and I think he's the funniest ANN employee! I was a bit sad when he stopped doing Answerman, hope he aint too busy with admin stuff and can get a new column going...
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:35 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

R.G. wrote:
No,Hetalia is not Strike Witches for girls.

Hetalia is Strike Witches for male homosexuals.

Nope, every single last person I know who either reads or watches Hetalia is female.

Actually, the three guys I know that like the show are, in fact, homosexual so I think there is something to that.

I like the show and I cann assure you my love of Yasuhiro Imagawa is due to G Gundam, and Giant Robo.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is, the manga already mocks Japan's habit of accepting surrenders and then executing prisoners, and I am pretty sure Japan busting down China's door with a katana is supposed to be hilarious.
Saturn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

My personal theory is the Japanese like using nazis in anime because the nazis were worse than they were in WWII. (nazis make the Japanese look better) I have a certain affection for nazi baddies in anime because they always seem to make them so ruthless. If it weren't for those rotten Germans using them, of course the Japanese would have been good guys.

To be honest, I think Nazis end up in anime a lot because their uniforms are hot. Don't deny it-- everyone knew they were stylish back then, and if there wasn't such a stigma attached to it, we'd want to use their outfit designs for stuff all the time. There's *not* as much stigmata related to the uniform in Japan, so they use it.
Ok, I jest, that's not the main reason, I'm sure... but it's at least partially true Wink

As for the Hetalia review, I can understand the reviewer's point of view on the matter; it's just not going to appeal to some people. It's too bad that so much of the review was focused on the fandom and not on the actual material... I hear the fangirls are pretty bad (I haven't been to a con since I was a sophomore in college, so I have no idea), but I wish it wouldn't effect anyone's judgment of the source material.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I have a VHS tape of the Gene Wilder Producers. Either the role was written for Wilder or Broderick really patterned his performance heavily on Wilder. It's almost annoying to see Broderick channel Wilder in places, but Nathan Lane is wonderful. Will Ferrell is also very funny in it. I have issues with Ferrell who seems better in ensemble works for my money (where he's not the big star). The pigeons were also incredible.

I have issues with anime made from Clamp titles because they usually fall short. I don't really care that the X movie is rushed because I'm only in it for the art/look & it does look good. I'm stuck at the half-way point on the tv series (for the last 2 yrs at least) because I just can't really get into it. X wasn't one of my fav Clamp titles in the first place. I loved the art, but it moved at a snail's pace--each volume seemed to get us one inch closer to the climax. It seemed as though they were all caught up in that millenium thing everyone else was & dropping it for "world events" of the time was a convenient excuse to get out of an idea that wasn't panning out.
I never expect to see X finished in manga form.

I do intend to see Strike Witches, but it does seem more fan servicey than what I've heard of Hetalia. I love history & even stupid comedy takes on history can usually keep me thru one viewing. Strike Witches seems to owe more to WWII pinup girls only as chibis-guys & their cars or planes, calling them girls & such
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7