• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Gender Rolls

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Rizuchan wrote:
Sexism and such in Anime is an interesting topic to me. You can't really deny that many of the elements considered sexist to us show up in anime without the writers batting an eye (Ignoring fanservice shows even, I'm talking about plot points like in Death Note where female characters give up everything to be with a guy. Or remembering how annoyed I was when I first watched Naruto back in the day and all the girls were useless.) and yet, they have works with strong, female lead characters.

Culture differences. Pretty straightforward. Same way you can show a topless woman in a kids show in Japan and no one cares but if you tried that here there'd be cries of sexism/misogyny/exploitation. Each country has their own set of values and norms.

Quote:
I've read various essays on how popular books and movies for kids like Harry Potter or Disney movies always have a male lead. There might be a powerful female in the group, but she's never THE main character. Supposedly the reasoning behind this is that girls will gladly watch a story with male main characters, but boys automatically assume that any story with a female lead is "for girls" and won't watch it, so it's more marketable to make male characters. (This always makes me think of Nelvana's debacle with Card Captor Sakura to try to make Li look more like a main character to capture the male audience.) And what was the last Hollywood move you saw that was not specifically targeted toward women that had a strong, female lead character?

Yes, that is a very common and held to belief of the industry. Especially for shows aimed at children. It's the old mentality of a sister might play with her brother's car but no way will a brother play with his sister's doll because "cooties" and such. Or his friends might mock him. I don't think they're necessarily off by thinking that, that does seem to be a problem with audience perception. I wonder how many non-anime fans mocked the guys who liked Sailor Moon as a kid.

Quote:
So I've been wondering, what is it about the audience of anime that is more accepting of strong, female lead characters? Or is it that Hollywood and TV has had it all wrong all this time, and really audiences of both genders would gladly accept a female in a lead action role?

I just like to think anime fans in general are more open minded about certain things. It's a fandom that can range from fans of yaoi to loli. I imagine people would have to be more on the liberal side of thinking to be involved in this medium.

Meanwhile, something like Disney's Frog Princess got a lot of controversy before it even came out. People seem to like to back-seat write and direct and want more control of something than the actual creator does, which is never a good thing in the field of art.

Keep in mind "strong female character" is a notorious hot-button in America on the internet and has no real universal answer. Can you actually describe what a strong-female character is so that everyone will agree? Probably not, there's so many branches of femnism that it's impossible to appeal to one without damning another (sex positive VS sex negative, for example) Japan doesn't even bother trying to appeal to those people, they make a bunch of stuff and throw it out there and let the people sort it out and cling to the stuff they like and ignore what they don't.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
swhitey wrote:
Quote:
Then we have series with characters who I believe show symptoms, with recent examples such as the casts of Haganai and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Mei Tachibana of Suki-tte Ii na yo, and especially Mashiro Shiina from Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo...

I don't think I can quite understand how that even crossed their mind, especially Mei. While there are plenty of characters who act like morons or socially inept, I can't see how they show symptoms of Autism or other mental disorders. Shiina has had everything done for her and therefore knows how to do nothing and Mei has never had friends and therefore doesn't know how to make them or interact at all with people socially. I agree with their statement about a lack of focus on mental disorders in anime, but disagree with all their "examples" of these ideas.

Yeah, I was going to mention something like that before I saw your post. I especially don't see how someone could consider Mei's obvious social awkwardness to be autism. Best stay away from the dictionary definition when identifying autistic people.

The idea that Mei basically just being introverted could be a sign of autism is actually pretty offensive.
shoddyworksucks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

These lead female characters are generally made attractive to appeal to otaku who like cute girls. Its quite odd in Japan how casts full of mainly female characters generally have more male fans, while mainly male characters have mainly female fans. At least among the otaku, they place much more significance on the attractiveness of the characters and thats what draws them to it.

Lets just say if something had a lead female who wasn't a cute girl or had big breasts, I very doubt the male audiences would care much about it.

That's really true of any entertainment medium though. Would there be as many fans of something like Thor if the lead actor wasn't attractive? Same goes with the many, many movies, comics, or games that target men. Would a lot of fans flock to a piece of escapist entertainment if the characters were homely, ugly, or nondescript? Probably not.

However, the popularity of female-led series among male readers/viewers, and vice-versa, isn't that weird. Something like K-ON! isn't popular among otaku because of the nature of its story and the telling of it, but because it cleverly uses characterization to target and manipulate the desires and fantasies of its base, namely the desire for a girlfriend. Same goes with shows with male leads that target a female audience. It's no secret that many young people find the cultural ritual of dating in Japan intimidating and difficult. This is backed up by the nation's declining birth and marriage rates, which would lead one to the conclusion that the target audience for manga and anime, male and female otaku, are most likely single with no plans for marriage or long-term relationships in the foreseeable future. So, naturally, what is probably the greatest fantasy among this demographic? Finding a boyfriend/girlfriend.

Now, I'll just say that I've been watching anime and reading manga for a long time, and while I don't particularly like K-ON! or the myriad shows like it, I can respect them as a writer purely for their understanding of their target audience. They're popular because they target the wants and desires of their audience and populate their works with a wide range of characters that will appeal to as many of those people as possible. Nothing odd about that.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
shoddyworksucks wrote:
It's no secret that many young people find the cultural ritual of dating in Japan intimidating and difficult. This is backed up by the nation's declining birth and marriage rates,
Just to quibble, but Japan isn't much worse off than much of Europe on this angle. So there is a bit more to it than that.

I do agree that there is a relationship between low birthrates/urbanization and the otaku subculture. The added parts of the recipe are that there are fewer immigrants in Japan than elsewhere. That makes the country a lot more white bread than otherwise. And the country is vastly more urbanized than any other country, reinforcing urban middle class subcultures more so than elsewhere.
Kohii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I look at a show like Madoka Magica (which ANN was raving about) and see a viciously manipulative story where young girls run around in outfits that would make strippers blush

Someone has never been to a strip club
Meygaera

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
When I think of a "strong female character" Nausicaä comes to mind, and that's pretty impressive considering how old it is. You'd think something older would have more sexism in it.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
shoddyworksucks wrote:
It's no secret that many young people find the cultural ritual of dating in Japan intimidating and difficult. This is backed up by the nation's declining birth and marriage rates,
Just to quibble, but Japan isn't much worse off than much of Europe on this angle. So there is a bit more to it than that.

I do agree that there is a relationship between low birthrates/urbanization and the otaku subculture. The added parts of the recipe are that there are fewer immigrants in Japan than elsewhere. That makes the country a lot more white bread than otherwise. And the country is vastly more urbanized than any other country, reinforcing urban middle class subcultures more so than elsewhere.

Actually, Japan's falling birth rate has the same cause of every other country with a falling birthrate: female education. You give your girls an education and a career, and the birth rate falls right off a cliff. In Japan, it is exacerbated however, by the fact that there is no opportunity to balance a career with a family. You get preggers, it's game over, man as far as your career is concerned. So most women either abandon the family or postpone it untill it is too late to have multiple kids. Interestingly enough, that Madoka show that was troll-bashed for being exploitative was one of the one anime I know that features a professional business lady with a family. Here, the Economist had a nice write up on the subject, with bonus quotes from everyone's favorite Tokyo mayor.

And as for our troll-riffic friend, I'm trying to figure out what exact his argument is. Let's see, since web streaming removed wealth barriers to watching anime, the unwashed masses took over and started glorifying titty shows. Am I close? I'm not sure when people stopped collecting anime, looking at my copious collection I certainly missed the boat on that one, but the whole 'anime is progressively getting worse each year' argument is vacuous. I once went through my list and cataloged all the quality shows a year. I then proceeded to close all the files without saving, but from what I remember, in the last decade and a half, the number of quality shows has remained pretty much constant. Sure there were years that were better than others, but there was no evidence at all for a decline in quality. Most likely this is a case of 'Golden Age' syndrome. Also, which the number of quality shows is constant, the number of total shows a year is not. Since more shows are made a year, there are lot more bad anime out there than a decade ago. This can give the false impression of a decline.

Quote:
No need to think about characters or plots because no one watching it will ponder the show long enough to make that kind of writing effort pay off. The same thing can be seen if you browse the new releases of licensed anime at the stores - Heaven's Lost Property, Strike Witches, Sekirei, Vampire Bund

Now this is a classic example of cherry picking. Here are four shows, popular enough to get stateside releases, that seem to prove a point (And I would argue that point is debatable, I mean Vampire Butt had a plot, it was just stupid, and Strike Witches had a rather detailed one, it just didn't make sense). Now, here is a list of my own, four shows that were released stateside for the first time this year: Occult Academy, No. 6, anohana, Heaven's Memo Pad. Look at those titles! We are entering a new era of quality programming, that focuses on character development and story telling!

Quote:
If the latest anime tells us anything, it's that in the near future clothing will be a rare item, at least for girls.

...I'm okay with this.
bhl88

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
lostrune

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Time for another 10+ page thread I predict with my amazing powers of clairvoyance! Laughing

Madoka's a funny show when you think about it. I'm curious how you guys would respond to this bit of criticism of it I've seen someone say about it.

spoiler["At the end of the Madoka, its shows all the world's most famous females were magical girls at one point. This completely undermines any achievements that they have done for humanity. The message of Madoka is that a women can't change the world by themselves but only with the help of a cute little alien. It's terrible message. The show dismissed all the strong women of world accompaniments, saying that they need someone else to succeed: Joan of Arc, Anne Frank, etc. Really what is says that non magical girls can't do anything worthwhile. Basically: Madoka is misogynist and anti-feminist."]

Not that I agree with the analysis, but let's add another perspective to the show. Wink
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
Time for another 10+ page thread I predict with my amazing powers of clairvoyance! Laughing

Madoka's a funny show when you think about it. I'm curious how you guys would respond to this bit of criticism of it I've seen someone say about it.

spoiler["At the end of the Madoka, its shows all the world's most famous females were magical girls at one point. This completely undermines any achievements that they have done for humanity. The message of Madoka is that a women can't change the world by themselves but only with the help of a cute little alien. It's terrible message. The show dismissed all the strong women of world accompaniments, saying that they need someone else to succeed: Joan of Arc, Anne Frank, etc. Really what is says that non magical girls can't do anything worthwhile. Basically: Madoka is misogynist and anti-feminist."]

Not that I agree with the analysis, but let's add another perspective to the show. Wink

That is quite the negative interpretation, especially since Urobuchi is an avowed feminist--he made Madoka's mother a working businesswoman and her father a stay-at-home dad because he wanted to avert stereotypical gender roles.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
And in fact, Madoka's mother became Urobuchi's favourite character. He even wrote a big backstory for her, most of which never appeared on screen.

lostrune, I don't agree with it either, but I have to say I am quite intrigued by this very interesting viewpoint. I'd never thought to look at it in that way, and I can see where the person who wrote that is coming from. So while I absolutely do not believe that PMMM was misogynistic and anti-feminist, I do feel that this criticism has some actual merit and offers a fresh angle to consider the show from.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Here, the Economist had a nice write up on the subject, with bonus quotes from everyone's favorite Tokyo mayor.

That was definitely one hell of an informative write up. I encourage everyone to read the entire thing. It talks about facts, numbers, and the change of social norms regarding family life.

The thing that I found most interesting was the issue of selective abortion.
I mean it only makes sense right? If you kill females before they are born (years ago, before prenatal screening, girls were killed right after birth), you will end up with more males. That will definitely reduce birthrates. Evolution worked its ass off to make it 50/50 for a f*cking reason.

As westerners I think we need to be a role-model here and do two things. Have more MEN who give up their careers to take care of the children, and adopt girls from Asian countries whose families have abandoned them.

My cousin is a stay at home dad. He, his wife, and children are the happiest people in the world and I love seeing them.

My aunt (a successful business woman) adopted two girls from China. They are the cutest girls I ever knew and they are treated just like any other cousin in our family.
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[about the 'finale' of Captain Tsubasa: Road to 2002, where the main character had actually dreamed everything and had lost his legs in an accident. ]

Sounds like Diego Maradona's comment from 1994 after the whole controversy involving the use of drugs. By the way, didn't the Pokemon fandom have a similar theory with the anime's ending? Something involving Ash being in a coma and Brock and Misty were just beings from his mind... Shocked Sounds like they were watching Evangelion or something like that.
Jam-Kiske

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I made an account just to blindly comment on this. I was excited when I saw what the topic of this was, but then severely disappointed. While the whole chunk of mental disorders and whatnot has some merit, it did nothing to actually address the question and topic.

Then I stopped reading once you said Madoka has no depth to and that the girls look like strippers. What? In what world are those stripper outfits?

have an edit: While the girls in Madoka were for sure used and manipulated (that was kind of the point of plot) it wasn't presented in a positive light at all. If anything the idea is that that kind of manipulation can only doom girls, so it could be seen as a warning tale I guess if we want to look that deeply into it.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:
As westerners I think we need to be a role-model here and do two things. Have more MEN who give up their careers to take care of the children, and adopt girls from Asian countries whose families have abandoned them.

Why should we do that? The world is already overpopulated, in many areas *very* overpopulated, and you want to encourage that?

Japan isn't going away. So it's population is decreasing. So what? You bring up "nature" and then ignore the fact that when our populations exceed local resources, it is natural for those populations to shrink. But no, all you seem to see is "we need more people!" As if the world should work at keeping up with the extreme population densities found in China and India.

You want us to be role models? Then the model they should be following is to reduce birth rates. Many First World nations have already done this, and it is only through immigrants from less developed countries that still pump out big families that their populations are increasing: it's the more primitive cultures that still encourage big families, not the advanced ones.

All this hand-wringing over Japan's population is solely due to the social and especially economic issues that it brings up: namely, government programs which depend on massive amounts of tax money to be paid in. Ponzi schemes require an ever-increasing base to keep working, and without that sort of growth they start to fall apart. The old are depending on the young to support them, and not as family obligations, but as societal/governmental obligations, which are largely impersonal by nature. Pretty much all the 1st World nations are in the same boat, but Japan has the added problem of not being able to bring in a bunch of 2nd and 3rd Worlders willing to work their lives away to keep the system going.

Japan may have to go through a certain amount of rebalancing in the future. But in the end it might be a good thing for them if they can create a more stable society that isn't selling out future generations. It'll be interesting to see how it ends up: whether their pride as a people is stronger than the greed of the powerful. If they start importing a bunch of cheap labor, you'll know then which side won, and Japan's culture will start to lose its distinctness.

As for the rest of Asia, China in particular is a disaster waiting to happen. Trying to relieve the population pressure by importing their excess children isn't going to help. The sheer scale will make such gestures meaningless. China is rushing to outstrip all resources it can easily obtain, and once it does that, it'll have to use force (not necessarily military force) to obtain more. That's why it's modernizing its military and positioning itself globally the way it is right now: in preparation.

So, you might think you're doing a Wonderful Thing, but you're really not. If you strongly feel the need to adopt, then look closer to home. I'm sure there are plenty of kids around you that could use a loving home. There's no need to go all the way to China to find kids like that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13