• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nanoha Film BD/DVD Add English Subs, Audience Track

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draneor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:03 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
The region locked player I'm referring to is my PS3. While they're not region locked for games, they are for Blu-Rays and DVDs.

The PS3, like any credible player, enforces region codes if present. However, most BDs--including basically all Japanese ones--are region free. The Nanoha BD will not have region coding.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:46 am Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
However, most BDs--including basically all Japanese ones--are region free. The Nanoha BD will not have region coding.

I'm aware that most Blu-Rays are region free, but considering the cash I have to part with for a Japanese disc, I'd rather find out with some certainty beforehand whether or not it would be a very expensive drink coaster. "It probably won't" isn't really good enough. Fortunately, CDJapan are listing it as being region free, which is good enough. Therefore, as soon as I hit 'submit', I'm going to go and pre-order the BR.
KKDW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:32 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Fortunately, CDJapan are listing it as being region free, which is good enough.

Thanks for mentioning that, now I know where I can get a copy Very Happy
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:10 am Reply with quote
most Japanese Anime bluray are region free.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
CDJapan links:
DVD - Region 2 (Japan, Europe, M-East, S-Africa) - ¥7800
BD - Region free - ¥8800

Includes a 52-page booklet, ooh Smile I'll definitely be buying this too.
Draneor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
I'm aware that most Blu-Rays are region free, but considering the cash I have to part with for a Japanese disc, I'd rather find out with some certainty beforehand whether or not it would be a very expensive drink coaster. "It probably won't" isn't really good enough.

Read "probably won't" in the same vein as "the sun will probably rise over the horizon tomorrow." I've bought over a hundred Japanese BDs and all of them are region free. As others have mentioned repeatedly, the Japanese industry does not use region coding on anime BDs. It's possible that they may some day, which is why I used "probably won't." Sometimes the specifications change.

FYI, CDJapan is generally the most expensive place (other than YesAsia) to import BDs. HMV.jp and Amazon.jp are often much cheaper.
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
FYI, CDJapan is generally the most expensive place (other than YesAsia) to import BDs. HMV.jp and Amazon.jp are often much cheaper.
It depends on how many you intend to order at once, and whether there is a pre-order or sale discount in effect. Yesasia often have free shipping, so win out for BDs that have been out for a while. Amazon.co.jp often have very large pre-order discounts, but shipping costs can be very steep even before any customs charges.
KKDW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:

That's a fair point I suppose, looking at CDJapan it'll cost nearly £60! However CDJapan is easier to use on account of being written in a language I can understand, and I don't trust Babel Fish or any other kind of translator out there (if there are others) enough when translating the Japanese sites. Mind you I'm also not too keen on signing up for something like an online store or a download site if I'm only there to get one thing and never use it again (though if I went with CDJapan I might make further use of it for other things).
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I'll definitely be getting this. It was just a bit ago when my letter to Answerman on the Bluray question was printed, saying that JP releases with ENG subtitles are the future of anime BD for North America. So I'm glad to see more and more stuff released like this. Now we just need more TV anime doing the same thing.

Probably from CD Japan since they don't charge a lump per-order "Handling Fee" like Amazon does, making CD Japan cheaper for many single-item orders.

I could look for more stuff to import, but with the exchange rate as it is, I only import the vital stuff.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
[expletive] MINE, bitches. I'm importing this, I don't care the costs. Seriously, this is my Christmas present, from me, to me. I don't even OWN a Bluray player. Hell, I'm going to watch the bluray rip anyway. But I MUST have the limited edition Bluray.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
The laugh track sounds interesting (kinda like the audio version of niconico douga) and isn't something I've ever seen as an option on a DVD before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2