• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slickwataris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quote
Kriz wrote:
question for those who already have the sixth volume: which song do they include as a music video?

BY HER (endless traveling map)

Primus wrote:
I'm fairly certain this probably has been discussed before in this thread, but for the sake of curiosity(part Lazy-ines on my part) does the dub have the Japanese text when everyone is speaking English in the sub, like the broadcast version did?

nope
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
Kriz wrote:
question for those who already have the sixth volume: which song do they include as a music video?

"By Her (Endless Travel Man)" is the title given on the screen. I don't recall where it might have been used in the series - it's one of Chiba's rap numbers.
Kriz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:33 am Reply with quote
I was hoping for Brightest Star, oh well. The full versions of Face and Slip Out are very nice, and I can't wait to complete my collection so the amp box is full.

I just wish they would dub the full soundtracks and release them over iTunes.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:14 am Reply with quote
Kriz wrote:
I was hoping for Brightest Star, oh well. The full versions of Face and Slip Out are very nice, and I can't wait to complete my collection so the amp box is full.

I just wish they would dub the full soundtracks and release them over iTunes.
Once again, to quote what the VAs and director have said at cons...they wanted to release an English OST, but there were just too many legal/rights issues, and they weren't able to do it.
heen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
ending of the anime was pretty open.

Can someone write a quick little summary of what happens after the anime in the manga??
Alestal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
DemonEyesLeo: yea the music drew me in 2.

ashere65: new york accent? lol I don't think you've been 2 New York.

So all in all guys, worth buying the dub?
Why yes Alestal(Im quoting myself), it is worth buying the dub. It's the best damn buy you'll ever freaking make. I bought this series and I just watched the series, no series I've ever seen excites me more then this, this series inspires you to go out and live your life.

If you haven't bought this series go out and buy it. It's my favorite anime series of all time, take my advice and buy it. buy it. buy it. buy it.

I watched this series a year ago, and it changed my life. I've wanted to watch it numerous times since then, but I told myself to wait until they release the series in an affordable way. If you'll waste your money/time on those other generic animes, you need this anime.

I also thought that Maho sounded very good, I loved her voice in japanese and it was very good in english as well. She's definatly my favorite character, I'm going to miss her.
thank you.

Last edited by Alestal on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I finished this recently and was pleasantly surprised at the ending after reading that it ended spoiler[depressingly, when really it ended quite well.] It had a very calm pace to it, pretty realistic and relaxed. I wasn't too thrilled with the music; in terms of music shows I thought NANA did a better job, though it probably had a bigger budget. The characters, however, were gold. I'll pro'ly give it an excellent when I get around to rating it.
Kyusei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Guys do you know what gibson pickups model ryu uses with lucille?
indrik

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow, since this thread sort of popped up...

Does anybody know why they changed the names of the Dying Breed band members in the dub? I think it was from Mike to Mark, but I don't remember precisely right now. I see we've discussed Lucille and the music changes, but if the name change has come up, I missed it.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:26 pm Reply with quote
You know, that was the one thing that I was never able to figure out But it was so inconsequential that I never gave it too much thought.
indrik

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it really only bugs me because it seems so inconsequential, that it has to have a story behind it. If that makes any sense.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Okay, just did a rewatch and am bumping an old talkback to ask a small question. (always better than creating a new one).

Does anyone know why so many people comment on how they think "Beck" is a stupid or silly name for the band? It comes up multiple times in the show, I think a couple call it the worst or stupidest name ever. Confused

Does "Beck" mean something else in Japanese?

The only thing I can think of Is that it's not a very "dynamic" name compared to the other band names created for the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricDent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Well they named the band after the dog.
Obviously they had to change the name in the USA because
there already is a musician with that name.

I think Mongolian Chop Squad suits them a bit better.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
Well they named the band after the dog.
Obviously they had to change the name in the USA because
there already is a musician with that name.

I think Mongolian Chop Squad suits them a bit better.

Yes, but why do the Japanese people who find out the name of the band in the show (apparently as ignorant of Grammy winning, multi-platinum record selling Beck Hansen as everyone else- including the kids who were living in America during the height of his popularity) invariably instantly comment on what a stupid name it is? Not a "boring" name, not one already being used, but a "stupid" or "bad" name. The manager of the popular club where they have the afternoon show/try-out, the people on the street they hand out fliers to. I think even the pretty gymnast friend comments on what a strange name it is when Koyuki gives her their CD, ignoring the fact that the cover itself was pretty damn odd.

-hey, here's my CD- the cover is of the front and back of a pudgy naked decapitated dude... the name of the band is "Beck."
-Huh, what a weird band name.

That just isn't the comment I think I'd get from a straight-laced "girl next door" type when I hand her a picture of a headless naked guy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Dude, there's nothing behind it. They just think it's a bad name for a band. All there is to it. Surprised
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10