• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
2010 Reader Survey

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote
I don't have much time to write out a lengthy response to the survey so I'll keep it short and post more later.

One thing I wanted to mention is that I never ever watch streams, I just prefer having the content available on my HDD. That does not mean however that I don't "support the industry", because even though I have a very limited budget (Still being in highschool and all) I still spend around $50 or so on anime and $20 on manga a month in addition to other expenses such as my car and going out.
I suppose I'd call it "collectors mentality" that I want to have a physical copy of things, or at least a download copy on my HDD.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I would like to comment that my highest prefered method of watching anime is on my HDTV. So when it comes to new anime I prefer to download it and convert it to play on my PS3 to view on TV. If ANN had some sort of service through PS3 i'd be more interested in paying for a subscription.

As for knowing about the "Upcoming Anime" from the Encyclopedia, this is just my opinion but that list is not very obvious to find for new comers. I mean I know it's only a scroll down but it's not under the main sections of the Encyc, but within the Additional Resources.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Survey taken with an addendum here: I had to fudge some numbers because I don't measure my spending by the month, but rather the year. Since I don't have access to my spreadsheet at the office, some numbers may be lower than actual.

I have to say, the "car" option on the list of things we own was comical. I didn't see it coming at all, especially since it was specific not to be the parents' car.

Does this mean potential anime decals (AHEM!) in our future? Razz

I'm still waiting for my Nina t-shirt. Preorder system: if minimum order not financed, cancel the order. Come on, ANN fans. Work with me here.
Twisted Evil

Now, if ANN should sell my data, I get a cut, right?
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Survey taken with an addendum here: I had to fudge some numbers because I don't measure my spending by the month, but rather the year. Since I don't have access to my spreadsheet at the office, some numbers may be lower than actual.

Same here, months fluctuate; sometimes I don't buy anime for several months, and then buy 4 sets. Or I buy two figures a year. I sort of just guesstimated for a year and then divided by 12 for a rough amount.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
we have a list of upcoming and recent releases ?

I'll leave this unchecked because I just found it recently through a complicated means.

Quote:
you can turn off all display ads on ANN for US$3/month or US$20/year ?

Another thing that's quite obscure. Remember how many new subscribers you guys got when you put it on the front page? Yeah, I do.

Quote:
you can help approve submitted anime and submitted manga titles

I do because I was here when it was first implemented. Haven't heard of it since.
There's not much we can do anyway. You guys could add some sort of poll to this feature, thus the more confirmation it gets, the quicker it enters the encyclopedia.

Last edited by egoist on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of with PJ here in that I would have preferred to list spending by year rather than month. Also, given that even ANN is getting into the pay-for-streaming game, I'm surprised their wasn't a question on how much is spent on streaming anime.

It's a shame we couldn't vote against certain features. I wouldn't select some of those items and would just as soon not see expanded coverage for them at the expense of other features. I personally don't care for fan art (even most of the "really cool" stuff) or OEL comics, for example.

Regarding the fansubs vs. streaming question, it was a bit oversimplified in my case. I definitely like to support online streaming. I buy subscriptions for anything I'm watching. However, I do still prefer watching the same shows offline using my own player, either via rips or fansubs. In part it's because I am not a fan of the browser-embedded players, in part because I like to be able to retain a personal copy of a show in the event that the show becomes unavailable and doesn't receive a physical R1 release. I expect to ween myself from this practice eventually, but as it is, it was hard to give a straight answer there.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Survey taken with an addendum here: I had to fudge some numbers because I don't measure my spending by the month, but rather the year.

Same here ... I sort of just guesstimated ... for a rough amount.

^^ true dat.

it seems like i'm always finding deals on anime and so picking that up regularly, then suddenly hitting the manga backlog all at once but maybe quarterly? not even sure ... i probably severely underestimated what i spend, but i spend at least as much as the amounts i indicated, over the course of a year possibly even twice as much.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm kind of with PJ here in that I would have preferred to list spending by year rather than month.

Divide it by 12.

Quote:
It's a shame we couldn't vote against certain features.

Eliminatory system.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Took the survery. Sorry to hear about the basement. Confused
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
I'm kind of with PJ here in that I would have preferred to list spending by year rather than month.

Divide it by 12.

Which is exactly what kyokun703 and I did. My point was that it seemed unnecessarily. Plus, it made answering the how often do you go to the movies question difficult since I could only enter a whole number even though I only visit a theater a few times per year.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I did the same. I maybe see 6 movies in the theater? So I just went with "1" even though that's way more than I will see.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I was a little more liberal with the spending habits on my anime and manga. There are some months I don't buy manga, and there are some month were I buy a lot anime, but mostly bargain bin prices so I pay less.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Took it. Good luck moving out of Mom's basement. Smile
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Also fudge the money numbers, so I tried to get an average from what I remember.

I also don't mind the expanding of subjects, especially if it still links to anime in a way, like game adaptations and such. Has a high chance of boosting more fans to check out more of the franchise.

Although I still prefer watching anime on TV, I'm opening up to streaming. As long as it runs well and no stuttering, I'm alright with it. Don't mind commercials as long as doesn't mess up things.
Iridescent_Fall

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I just want to add a few more details to me checking the 'watch fansubs' box. I ONLY watch fansubs if there is no legal alternative. I will gladly pay for DVDs and boxsets, since I love collecting. For legal streaming I try to find it free first and if I can't, I pay per month. I subscribe on and off at Crunchyroll.
The only other exception to watching fansubs is if I want to sample an episode of a series I want to buy, but haven't seen and there are no legal samples available. For example, since I'm living in Canada some of Funimation's videos are unavailable to me.

To me, this is fair. I'm not going to import DVDs from Japan I can never watch/understand unless I spend years learning the language, not to mention the expense of Japanese anime and acquiring a Region 2 DVD player. It's just not practical.
Otherwise, I do support the industry and never spend money on bootleg products.

Last edited by Iridescent_Fall on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4